New Products Flash Sale
Old Today, 05:35 PM
Find More Posts by jwmachon
Joined Dec 2008
437 Posts
Daemon any suggestions on my problem with rssi, also separately u can reset rssi using osd how can u St min when u have to turn tx off
jwmachon is offline Find More Posts by jwmachon
to remove ads between posts
Old Today, 06:03 PM
Find More Posts by disonphoto
United States, CA, Bakersfield
Joined May 2014
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
Look at the OSD as you're booting up. It asks you to confirm the model type the first
time after it's been setup. Have to flip the mode switch a time or two at the appropriate
moment. This is the #1 most common problem people have with Vector. Comes up
3 times a week here. If you don't confirm model type, it will output nothing.
Thank you, I'll try that tonight when I get home. I appreciate it. I had heard/seen something of the sort that I needed to do that but I didn't know how. Is that we're it asks for you to click a mode switch?
disonphoto is offline Find More Posts by disonphoto
Old Today, 06:11 PM
Find More Posts by Daemon
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
29,879 Posts
I think it says "click" but it means toggle the mode switch.
The wording implies that one toggle should be enough, but many people find it takes more than one.
You can't do it too early, and you can't do it too late, so it's easiest to know when
to do it if you actually look at the OSD upon bootup.

Personally, I think it's an idiotic feature, and it causes nothing but grief for a lot of people.
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
Old Today, 06:12 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
29,879 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmachon View Post
Daemon any suggestions on my problem with rssi, also separately u can reset rssi using osd how can u St min when u have to turn tx off
Nope.
Old Today, 06:49 PM
Find More Posts by AeroMaestro
Smasher of foam
United States, OH, Stow
Joined Sep 2012
310 Posts
Vector from Eagle Tree - Full Color OSD, Fixed Wing & Multirotor Controller w...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroMaestro View Post
So far, the best idea I've seen would be to take the Taranis's received RSSI telemetry data, and use a mix to send it back to the X8R on one of the SBUS channels. Then I could setup an SBUS channel in the Vector to receive that data. I'm going to try that out tonight! (Even though it's completely ridiculous.)
HA! I did it, and it WORKS!

Here's what I did:
1. On my Taranis, I setup a new input using RSSI as the source. I set the scale at 100, weight at 100, and offset at -100. (The offset -100 makes it so that the eventual output will be recognized by the vector as zero when RSSI is at zero. Otherwise, the output would still be seen by the vector as 50%)
2. I added a mix to channel 8, using my new input as the source. I didn't touch any other settings in the mix.
3. Then on my Vector, I set the SBUS channel 8 to RSSI. (I had to do this in the Vector config software. I couldn't find it anywhere in the OSD stick menus.)
4. In order to calibrate the Vector so that it would display 100% RSSI only if the Taranis was showing 100%, I had to get creative. Because my Taranis would never really show any RSSI higher than 91db, the RX wizard would read that 91 and interpret it as 100%. That's no good. So I changed the source in my channel 8 mix to one of my knobs. I turned that knob all the way up to 100%, and then I ran the Vector's RX wizard in the windows software.
5. After I ran the RX wizard, I went back to the channel 8 mix on my Taranis and changed the source back to my new RSSI input.

And that's it. It works! The Vector's OSD always shows an RSSI value within a few percent of the number displayed on my Taranis. The only reason the two values aren't exactly the same is because I can't figure out how to get the Vector Rx Wizard to accurately set the low level on RSSI. As far as I can tell, it gets its low value when it asks me to turn off my radio in the wizard. But when I turn off my Taranis, all the values on the Vector screen go to -12%, not to 0%. I think, in order to get it to a perfect 0%, I'd have to setup a failsafe on my X8R to set my channel 8 to 0%, instead of "no pulses." But it's a small enough difference between the Taranis' displayed value and the Vector's that I haven't bothered to do this yet. (It means that when my Taranis shows 0, the Vector still shows 12. If my Taranis is at 50, the vector is at 56. If the Taranis is at 75, the Vector shows 78, and so on. Meh. That's close enough. Anything below 50 is in the danger zone, anyway.)

This is a completely ridiculous cludge, but at least it's working. It's so silly that I'm sending the RSSI data from the X8R to my Taranis and then sending it back through the X8R to the Vector to be displayed! I can't wait to go fly this weekend and try it out. I'll be sure to post some side-by-side logs from my Vector and Taranis after a flight.
AeroMaestro is online now Find More Posts by AeroMaestro
Last edited by AeroMaestro; Today at 08:14 PM.
Old Today, 06:52 PM
Find More Posts by Tom T
Learning to crash
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined May 2014
688 Posts
Video or it didnt happen lol. Congrats Aeromaestro.

Did this require the uart to smart port cable?
Tom T is online now Find More Posts by Tom T
Last edited by Tom T; Today at 07:00 PM.
Old Today, 08:09 PM
Find More Posts by AeroMaestro
Smasher of foam
United States, OH, Stow
Joined Sep 2012
310 Posts
Vector from Eagle Tree - Full Color OSD, Fixed Wing & Multirotor Controller w...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom T View Post
Video or it didnt happen lol. Congrats Aeromaestro.

Did this require the uart to smart port cable?

Thanks. I might make a video later this week when my wife isn't home to laugh at my nerd victory.

No, this didn't require the smart port at all, since the X8R automatically sends RSSI to the taranis. The only cable needed to make this work is the Ail cable connected to the X8Rs SBUS port.

(But I am using the Vector's UART port to send all the vector telemetry back through the X8R to the taranis, and it's an excellent feature. Having my GPS coordinates displayed on the Taranis screen is such a great safety feature! It's the main reason I bought a vector, in fact. And it's also why I'm reluctant to switch receivers even though it's become evident that the X8Rs RSSI port is useless.)
AeroMaestro is online now Find More Posts by AeroMaestro
Last edited by AeroMaestro; Today at 08:18 PM.
Old Today, 08:22 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
29,879 Posts
I followed all that. That's a pretty clever workaround.
I would think you should be able to set the low end same as the high, by using your
manual override and changing the lower endpoint of offset and not actually turning
off the Rx when it asks you to, but change the RSSI to whatever you want.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about trying to match the Taranis's RSSI value because
it's showing you dB. I'd let Vector scale the RSSI from 0-100% as that'll be more useful in the air.