Closed Thread
Old Apr 22, 2007, 02:33 PM
Professor of Wood
Nampa. Idaho
Joined Nov 2004
4,266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Adam
Since there is an opportunity here to establish some ground rules from day one - can we get pole and mast AP banned from the forum ?

Ducks.....

Adam
ps Are we likely to get 50+ votes needed ? If not - then we can just clearly label the threads concerned in the main AP forum.
We have a count of 44 now. I harrassed a few of my freinds to go look and sign on to get some of those though.

I'm not sure if banning poles and masts is a good idea. I don't feel that violates the educational process of what we're after in the new forum. Many time in my threads I supplement air photo's with ground photo's to better show features or what have you. Although I do feel the aerial pictures give a perspective not otherwise seen, ground pictures help the viewer imagine they themselves are viewing the location from their distance much better. It might also show or record building decay or ground debris that connects it with a date and time. I would hate to limit the pictures to from RC aircraft only. I think that will force a loss of complete information many times.

Dan
kd7ost is offline Find More Posts by kd7ost
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 22, 2007, 02:41 PM
Old Timer
CARMICHAEL, CALIFORNIA USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,916 Posts
I agree. I believe the main idea is "Discovery"
California Condor is offline Find More Posts by California Condor
Old Apr 22, 2007, 02:43 PM
Professor of Wood
Nampa. Idaho
Joined Nov 2004
4,266 Posts
Update,

I'm keeping a running tally of names that agreed to sign on here.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...95&postcount=2

We have another that just signed up so now have 45 with only 5 names left to present this to the moderators for a vote and trial basis. Even if we get it approved it still has to go through a trial period. If there's no activity they'll shut it down. It would be great if everyone that has presented these types of threads can ID the locations and maybe we can get them moved to the new forum.

Since these style threads take time, work and research to put together it won't be a fast moving 20 new thread a day forum like this one. We should be ready to show activity during the trial period.

Dan
Old Apr 22, 2007, 03:21 PM
Professor of Wood
Nampa. Idaho
Joined Nov 2004
4,266 Posts
Reposting the "sign on" link for ease of location.

Dan

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=674407
Old Apr 22, 2007, 04:40 PM
I'm Ginger & called Adam
Hereford, UK
Joined Oct 2002
2,905 Posts
Sorry Dan, it was a (poor) attempt at humour. I've never really gotten over the $hitstorm caused by the banning of poles from an AP contest on the forum a while back.

I actually think that most posts in the new forum (assuming it gets going) are likely to feature ground shots in order to backup the message - so I see no sense in banning any form of photography at all.

Adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd7ost
We have a count of 44 now. I harrassed a few of my freinds to go look and sign on to get some of those though.

I'm not sure if banning poles and masts is a good idea. I don't feel that violates the educational process of what we're after in the new forum. Many time in my threads I supplement air photo's with ground photo's to better show features or what have you. Although I do feel the aerial pictures give a perspective not otherwise seen, ground pictures help the viewer imagine they themselves are viewing the location from their distance much better. It might also show or record building decay or ground debris that connects it with a date and time. I would hate to limit the pictures to from RC aircraft only. I think that will force a loss of complete information many times.

Dan
Ginger Adam is offline Find More Posts by Ginger Adam
Old Apr 22, 2007, 04:56 PM
Not THAT Ira
Coupeville, Wa
Joined Jan 2006
4,722 Posts
Quote:
Sorry Dan, it was a (poor) attempt at humour. I've never really gotten over the $hitstorm caused by the banning of poles from an AP contest on the forum a while back.

I actually think that most posts in the new forum (assuming it gets going) are likely to feature ground shots in order to backup the message - so I see no sense in banning any form of photography at all.

Adam

Ditto

This should not be a forum to show off who has the coolest plane or heli, but where people can go to read and contribute things of scientific interest and how AP can play an important role.

Ira
Real Ira is offline Find More Posts by Real Ira
Old Apr 22, 2007, 05:05 PM
Professor of Wood
Nampa. Idaho
Joined Nov 2004
4,266 Posts
Quote:

Adam

You guys can probably tell I get wrapped up in things sometimes. (Anal retentive?) I didn't see the forrest for the trees in your comment.

Thank you

Dan
Old Apr 22, 2007, 07:19 PM
Not THAT Ira
Coupeville, Wa
Joined Jan 2006
4,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kd7ost

You guys can probably tell I get wrapped up in things sometimes. (Anal retentive?) I didn't see the forrest for the trees in your comment.

Thank you

Dan
It's just one of the things we love about you.

Ira
Real Ira is offline Find More Posts by Real Ira
Old Apr 22, 2007, 08:51 PM
Professor of Wood
Nampa. Idaho
Joined Nov 2004
4,266 Posts
Please refer to this thread for future information.

Dan

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=675082
Closed Thread