SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 01, 2014, 10:30 AM
United States, CO, Durango
Joined Feb 2012
378 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
The problem is the design requiring a 90 degree glue joint to be operating in tension - where the front of the landing gear mounting plywood is fastened to the firewall. With any significant load placed on it, it will pull apart easily - WAY too easily.

Factor not helping a thing is the fact that plywood landing gear plate isn't really plywood. It's china ply, and the laminates pull apart easily. All the reinforcing in the world done on the inside is only attached to the top layer of laminate?

In a hard landing, the front of this landing gear plate is not pushing against the airframe, it being twisted, puling the front of it away from the airframe.
Thanks for the info. I will use a piece of angle alum like in the pic. Looks like a easy fix.
DMHIGHFLYER is offline Find More Posts by DMHIGHFLYER
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hobbyzone sport cub
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2014, 09:08 PM
United States, MI, Waterford Charter Township
Joined Aug 2008
1,476 Posts
Great plan! Hope your maiden goes well! -Al
ahicks is offline Find More Posts by ahicks
Old Mar 06, 2014, 07:45 AM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Dec 2010
95 Posts
Explain an demonstrate the landing gear modification a little more.. Just little more on how to do my mod..
ideas is offline Find More Posts by ideas
Old Mar 06, 2014, 09:40 AM
Joined Aug 2008
1,476 Posts
The plan is to support the front edge of the landing gear plate, where it attaches to the firewall? On a hard landing, that edge will try to pull away from the firewall. To better prevent that from happening, we tie it to the front of the firewall using extruded angle alum, sturdy sheet alum, fiberglass, or basically whatever you're comfortable working with.

If you look at the pic in post #73, you can see this idea in play. He's attached a piece of angle aluminum to the firewall with 3 bolts. This is going to all but eliminate the possibility for that piece of plywood the gear is fastened to from pulling away from the firewall? -Al
Old Mar 18, 2014, 12:51 AM
United States, CO, Durango
Joined Feb 2012
378 Posts
Here's a few pics of my throttle and choke linkage. Used a larger throttle arm and ran the choke out the front of the cowl. It works very well.

DMHIGHFLYER is offline Find More Posts by DMHIGHFLYER
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hobbyzone sport cub
Old Jun 11, 2014, 10:37 PM
United States, VA, Glen Allen
Joined Dec 2013
12 Posts
mounting dle 20 to 70 revolver

Searching for a little guidance. I want to mount the dle 20 and i have a general question. I am not using the stock plastic mount but an aluminum hanger 9 mount that i have used on a seagull 540 with same engine. I am able to mount the engine and clear the firewall; however, i do not know if i am suppose to mount center. The 70 has lines on the firewall plafing the engine slightly right. I know this is for "thrust" but is this required? Can i not install center? Will it adversely impact flight?

Also, suggestions on finding specific answers to questions such as this would be greatly appreciated. Forthis is the second evening i have attempted to locate the info. needed. To be honest, based on the dates of replies in here, i am not sure if anyone will read this at all. Any help would be great!
epnva1 is offline Find More Posts by epnva1
Old Jun 12, 2014, 05:18 AM
Same Day Delivery
Economy, Pa.
Joined Mar 2002
3,534 Posts
It will adversely affect the alignment of the spinner to the cowl, it would be best to place it in the factory configuration.
mike3976 is online now Find More Posts by mike3976
Old Jun 12, 2014, 07:26 AM
Joined Aug 2008
1,476 Posts
The firewall is angled to the right. If you center the engine on it, the prop hub will be noticeably right of center. The off set markings on the firewall are to reduce/eliminate that issue, leaving the prop hub centered on the airframe, with right thrust. This is all pretty typical for most ARF's?

There's a very large string on R C U in the ARF section. Maybe one of the biggest and most active there. Look for "Larger Revolver".
Old Jun 12, 2014, 11:37 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,566 Posts
My Apologies, it jumped into the wrong thread when I saved it.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by earlwb; Jun 12, 2014 at 12:26 PM. Reason: wrong thread somehow.