SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:15 PM
Joined Jan 2013
5 Posts
Question
what's best sim 4 quadcopter newbie

I'm brand spankin new at rc anything and just bought a quad copter--- a DJI F450 w/naza stabilzer/gps/fpv and want a flight sim that will let me learn before I burn. I like the look of RF 6 & it's non CG backgrounds but I'd love to hear your suggestions.
elee is offline Find More Posts by elee
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:48 PM
New Zealand, Hawke's Bay, Napier
Joined Jun 2011
266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elee View Post
I'm brand spankin new at rc anything and just bought a quad copter--- a DJI F450 w/naza stabilzer/gps/fpv and want a flight sim that will let me learn before I burn. I like the look of RF 6 & it's non CG backgrounds but I'd love to hear your suggestions.
I have Phoenix but last I looked it only had the gaui 330X. I had a 330X and it was reasonably true to how it flew. I have aerosim, not very exiting, but plenty of multirotors, with the option to practise fpv etc. Seems quite good, but doesnt seem to be much development of it. Both of the above use your own tx which I think is important to build the hand and corrdination skills that you need. IE forget about keyboards to learn on. Good luck.
helidex is offline Find More Posts by helidex
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:58 PM
Retired Old Guy
United States, IL, New Lenox
Joined Jan 2012
618 Posts
Phoenix now has the Blade mQX as an available model. What would be even better than the mQX in the sim would be for you to get yourself a real live mQX and a decent Tx that would bind to the mQX. You would then have the best RC helicopter trainer on the planet. The mQX is rugged, parts are easily obtainable and reasonably priced if you do break something. It is also an ABSOLUTE HOOT to fly. You can learn to hover with it, all orientations except inverted, you can learn forward flight with square turns. You can the easily transition into forward flight with co-ordinated turns. You can do flips and rolls with it if so inclined.

I started back into the hobby the little quad and the DX6i Tx.

I am now flying a Witespy 450 quad and a Trex 450 clone and a Trex 500 clone because of the huge success I had with the mQX.

I am also a big supporter of a sim to help you with the learning curve of flying CP machines especially if you are trying to do stuff that falls into the 3D realm.

One thing that is cool about the mQX is that it can be safely flown in the garage when you are learning to hover. It won't hurt anything that lives in the garage. Once you are comfortable with it a transition into the house could be in order, as long as the significant other is on board.

RWW
whitehedr is offline Find More Posts by whitehedr
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:21 PM
New Zealand, Hawke's Bay, Napier
Joined Jun 2011
266 Posts
Quote:
You should also check this thread out
helidex is offline Find More Posts by helidex
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:36 PM
Retired Old Guy
United States, IL, New Lenox
Joined Jan 2012
618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helidex View Post
You should also check this thread out
Agree 100%

RWW
whitehedr is offline Find More Posts by whitehedr
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:21 PM
I think I'm inverted. Maybe.
United States, CA, Pacifica
Joined Apr 2012
1,509 Posts
Quote:
Just a note, FWIW - I have a friend who worked with me on autonomous UAVs for many years, including autonomous quadcopters. He was quite proficient with the mechanics of one, but has never flown one himself - he's always programmed them.

He bought a F450, all stock, took it up in the air the day he got it, and has been flying it without crashing for over 6 months now. He has crashed twice but both times due to the cheap stock plastic props failing... it's hard not to crash when 1 propeller suddenly explodes.

My advice is to not be very careful with it and spend months in the sim trying to perfect your maneuvers before trying out your quad. You'll get used to flying your first quad as it flies in the sim, developing a hard-to-unlearn model-specific muscle memory that won't help much when you actually fly your quad. Find a wide-open field, make sure the switch is on hover mode, and practice quite often in RL as well.
acetech09 is offline Find More Posts by acetech09
Old Jun 12, 2014, 12:25 PM
Joined May 2014
70 Posts
We have developed one for android..
Please check this
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...d.QuadcopterFX
Video Link:
QuadcopterFx Simulator (3 min 32 sec)
tonybam is offline Find More Posts by tonybam
Old Jun 16, 2014, 12:33 PM
Joined May 2014
70 Posts
Now QuadcopterFX Simulator is also available for iOS:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/quad...2635?ls=1&mt=8
tonybam is offline Find More Posts by tonybam
Old Jun 16, 2014, 06:55 PM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehedr View Post
Phoenix now has the Blade mQX as an available model. What would be even better than the mQX in the sim would be for you to get yourself a real live mQX and a decent Tx that would bind to the mQX. You would then have the best RC helicopter trainer on the planet.
[Major Snip]
RWW
I totally agree but I prefer the Nano QX. I've had both and I also have the 180 QX And the 350 QX but for learning and having fun I'd get the Nano QX. I've flown mine is lots of wind and dead calm, indoors and out and the Nano, with a good TX will beat any sim you ever saw to learn on.

Notice that both whitehedr and I keep saying "good TX." Yup, something programmable. I'd consider the DX6-i as minimal." The later Tx's can be a be programmed more easily.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Old Jun 19, 2014, 03:08 PM
Joined Jun 2014
1 Posts
Don't mean to hijack this thread but I'm new to all of this as well. If I want to ultimately be able to fly something with a gopro on it, like the Phoenix, and want to start out with something like a Nano QX, is there a transmitter that I can/should buy that will allow me to graduate from one to the other? Recommendations would be awesome.
moguitars is offline Find More Posts by moguitars
Old Jun 19, 2014, 06:49 PM
Joined Jun 2014
8 Posts
icoltro is offline Find More Posts by icoltro
Old Jun 20, 2014, 01:02 AM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,061 Posts
The Nano QX flies ONLY with Spektrum or JR gear.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug