HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 10, 2014, 11:05 AM
Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
Joined Sep 2003
530 Posts
Thanks A 10Flyr.
How about the servos, will Hitec HS125 be overkill for the flaps and Ailerons? Or could I go lighter and smaller?
Would you mind posting a few pictures of how you tape your Masala ? And what tape please?
mchandrayan is online now Find More Posts by mchandrayan
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 10, 2014, 01:29 PM
Dean
USA, CO, Littleton
Joined Apr 2005
3,902 Posts
I think I used standard servos for flaps and KST 125 mg from Aloft hobbys for ailerons. For tape I used 2" clear packaging tape on the end of each surface that mated together so it would be easy to clean tape residue off and not tear the covering. Then I use a 1" vinyl tape to tape the surfaces together. Like a white electrical tape.
A10FLYR is offline Find More Posts by A10FLYR
Old Jul 10, 2014, 02:03 PM
Joined Sep 2003
530 Posts
Thanks A10Flyr
Old Dec 07, 2014, 11:56 AM
Joined Sep 2003
530 Posts
Maidened my Masala today. Turned out perfect. Just one flight of about 20 minutes. Will start exploring the flight envelope and different mixes.
Last edited by mchandrayan; Dec 07, 2014 at 12:05 PM.
Old Dec 07, 2014, 12:59 PM
Quebec Aerotow Association
Canada, QC, st-jean-sur-richelieu
Joined May 2010
597 Posts
mchandrayan,
What did your final weight come out to?
Charlescd is offline Find More Posts by Charlescd
Old Dec 07, 2014, 01:01 PM
Corpus Christi, Texas, United States
Joined May 2003
1,305 Posts
I'm jealous, looks like the chance to get one has passed. Anyone have one they wanna sell?
rcsoar4fun is online now Find More Posts by rcsoar4fun
Old Dec 08, 2014, 05:54 AM
Joined Sep 2003
530 Posts
Charles, no idea on the AUW as I did not weigh it. Used the supplied Tahmazo motor, with a 3300 mAh battery needed 30g of weight to balance it conservatively. The battery was placed as far forward as possible without fouling the motor. I checked the CG with another 5000 mAh pack I have and that pack needs to be pushed back before it fouls the servos.
The supplied 14x8 folding prop was used and 60 Amp ESC (that I borrowed). Plenty of power for comfortable climb. Need to recharge the pack to check consumption
Old Dec 15, 2014, 09:57 AM
Joined Sep 2003
530 Posts
Three more flights yesterday, in total more than an hour. Since I am using a 3300 mAh pack as a precaution always landed early to ensure I had power. Also tried out a 5000 pack and found that had only consumed roughly 1600 mAh of the pack, so this pack can be used for longer duration. Got some light thermals and this is turning out to be fun.

The only issue is that our filed is a fairly old WWII time tarmac runway currently in disuse. To save the surface finish from ugly scratches have been applying couple of layers of glass tape on belly and tail (apart from tips) prior to every flight.

Any ideas on installing a single central wheel?
Old Dec 16, 2014, 06:53 AM
Joined May 2010
597 Posts
Here is how I did it on my 5 meter version.

Old Dec 17, 2014, 04:02 AM
Joined Sep 2003
530 Posts
That's neat Charles, and thanks for posting the pictures, wish I had decided to put in the wheel prior to permanently gluing in the tray.
I have been thinking of of making two longitudinal former's out of G10 sheet and then epoxy that in slots cut in the fuse to hold the wheel.
What material is your skid made of?
Old Dec 17, 2014, 12:28 PM
Joined May 2010
597 Posts
It's lite ply. I use 1/8 and double with epoxy where needed for the wheel support. I forget the skid thickness but it's also treated with epoxy and painted. The skid is held by two screws from inside the fuselage.

I reglassed the fuselage before adding the skid in.

This model in question (Fashionista 5m) weighs 15.5 lbs and the skid and wheel work very well.
Old Yesterday, 05:01 AM
Joined Sep 2003
530 Posts
Thanks Charles