HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 21, 2012, 04:08 PM
Joined Jan 2012
33 Posts
Discussion
3D foam nightflyer suggestions?

I'm looking to throw together a foamie for nightflying, figured I might as well try the stuff out and it's always dead calm at night. I was thinking EPP because I feel like it's considerably more likely that I'll crash while trying to fly in the dark :P

My buddy built a Crack Yak recently and I was pretty happy with how it flew, was considering a similar model, maybe a bit bigger, with some lights thrown on it.

What do you guys recommend as the cheapest setup that will fly 3D nicely? Doesn't have to be pattern level precision or anything, I just don't want to be fighting any weird tendencies with it. What do you recommend for effective lighting on the cheap?

Also wondering what common tricks are for orientation, I was thinking of using a different color in an X pattern across the bottom of the wings with EL wire or something? I've never even seen one of these planes in person so I don't know how it's usually done.
TakeshiSkunk is offline Find More Posts by TakeshiSkunk
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 25, 2012, 10:04 AM
Joined Mar 2008
10 Posts
Here's a video of my Crack Yak with the Twisted Hobbys light kit on it. I definitely recommend it.

Crack Yak night flight with Twisted Hobbys LED light kit (5 min 16 sec)
metalmike is offline Find More Posts by metalmike
Old Mar 28, 2012, 09:35 AM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Apr 2011
134 Posts
pondering the same...

i've been considering the MPX acromaster because the fuse and wings come as clamshells so I can put lights in before closing them up...also considering an easy star or easy glider...
vascoboy is offline Find More Posts by vascoboy
Old Mar 28, 2012, 09:55 AM
Night Flyer
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined May 2005
325 Posts
I'm looking at the same thing and so far I like the RCF 39" EPP RS-352 from Twisted Hobbys. RCG build thread

RC RC Factory RS352 sbach night flying with leds at milton keynes club (3 min 18 sec)

Phil
phil007 is offline Find More Posts by phil007
Old Apr 03, 2012, 12:16 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,741 Posts
I also think the RCF foamies are perfect for night flying. I have personally never flown that sbach, but I have been very impressed by the RCF Flash.
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Boom Smoke!