SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 18, 2011, 08:07 PM
Depew, NY
Joined Oct 2003
96 Posts
Speaking of esc's. Is the CC Thunderbird 9 a good choice for a 3s setup?
The Hobbyking SS I have cuts out intermittantly...
Chads is offline Find More Posts by Chads
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2011, 08:46 PM
It's a spiderweb of knit lines
Souderton Pa. USA
Joined Mar 2002
2,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chads View Post
Speaking of esc's. Is the CC Thunderbird 9 a good choice for a 3s setup?
The Hobbyking SS I have cuts out intermittantly...
Works for me in both jets.

You will have to solder connectors depending on the Rx you use.
mcross is offline Find More Posts by mcross
Old Jul 18, 2011, 09:33 PM
Depew, NY
Joined Oct 2003
96 Posts
I'm actually thinking about loosing all of the connectors and soldering right to the my receiver to help save on some weight and space.
Chads is offline Find More Posts by Chads
Old Jul 18, 2011, 11:02 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Best way to upgrade would be swap out and resolder. Make sure you put some 2mm heatshrink on first, though, so you don't have to do a messy tape job. I didn't find this a problem with my model... but it was a kit so didn't have an ESC to start with.

If you're looking for a place to put the ESC, in the first 8 pages or so of this thread I put up some photos of my setup. Included is one of the ESC which is mounted in a hold in the floor of the battery compartment, FET chips in the breeze of the intake. I used a HobbyKing 'Super Simple' 8A unit.

Chads - You can simply remove the plastic servo plugs and use the individual plugs instead - this saves a small amount of weight but also cuts down on size. I would advise heatshrinking the individual lead plugs with 2mm heatshrink to avoid shorting against each other, this has worked well for me in the past. I can post pictures if needed.

Cheers - boingk
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
Last edited by boingk; Jul 18, 2011 at 11:11 PM.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 07:53 AM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,970 Posts
As for the Mig's thrust line issues... can anyone tell me:

will it fly ok stock?

When I install the thrust tube, should I just make exit as low as possible in the rear of the fuselage?

Thanks for any tips!!!

BTW, what's the correct exit diameter for the thrust tube?
MRGTX is offline Find More Posts by MRGTX
Old Jul 19, 2011, 10:23 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,254 Posts
Mine has no thrust line issues. It flew fine on 2S but flew much better on 3S. 2S allows you to slush around at WOT... I made a tail cone reduced to around 34mm. It really smooths out the exit air.
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Jul 19, 2011, 12:02 PM
United States, MA, Sutton
Joined Aug 2006
1,487 Posts
I received my Mig from Hobbyking. I have the HK recommended JST servo's that drop right into the cutouts. I plan on using the Spektrum AR6300 with servo extensions that I'll convert to adapters.

Anyone know if any servo adapters from the mini JST to AR6300 plugs?
Anyone know of a source for the required mini JST extensions?

My ARF didn't contain any control horns. Do you have to source those or did they leave them out? Any recommendations for horns?

Tom
ducatirdr is online now Find More Posts by ducatirdr
Old Jul 19, 2011, 01:19 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Stellenbosch, South Africa
Joined Apr 2004
2,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatirdr View Post
My ARF didn't contain any control horns. Do you have to source those or did they leave them out? Any recommendations for horns?

Tom
They should be in the box, unless they really forgot to put them in. Go through all the packaging material and check again...
MegaTesla is offline Find More Posts by MegaTesla
Old Jul 19, 2011, 01:56 PM
Halifax, NS
Joined Sep 2009
404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatirdr View Post
I received my Mig from Hobbyking. I have the HK recommended JST servo's that drop right into the cutouts. I plan on using the Spektrum AR6300 with servo extensions that I'll convert to adapters.

Anyone know if any servo adapters from the mini JST to AR6300 plugs?
Anyone know of a source for the required mini JST extensions?
If you're talking about the HK282 servos, the plugs on those are Micro Futaba connectors (Molex). You can get the Micro-Futaba Female connectors and Micro-JST Male connectors with 30 gauge wires from rc-connectors.com. But, you'd have to solder the female connectors yourself to make an adapter. I have not seen anyone with ready made adapters for this.
karlpenney is offline Find More Posts by karlpenney
Last edited by karlpenney; Jul 19, 2011 at 02:01 PM.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 02:03 PM
United States, MA, Sutton
Joined Aug 2006
1,487 Posts
Perfect thanks for the pointer
ducatirdr is online now Find More Posts by ducatirdr
Old Jul 19, 2011, 02:54 PM
Joined Sep 2005
376 Posts
so for the construction of the thrust tube.... is it required to reduce the diameter of the whole length of the exhaust, or can you simply add a cone/tube to the existing exit?
JackDaniels is offline Find More Posts by JackDaniels
Old Jul 19, 2011, 05:28 PM
Life begins at transition
Australia, VIC, Sale
Joined May 2007
3,593 Posts
Easiest is one long cone, from EDF to exhaust. It's not the ideal setup, but it's very easy to make.
Cut up the mylar, sticky tape the seam inside and out, then sticky-tape the whole thing to the fan. Install, fly, smile
Odysis is offline Find More Posts by Odysis
Old Jul 19, 2011, 10:07 PM
Not enough hours in the day
Melbourne
Joined Feb 2009
2,429 Posts
It surprises me that the exhaust areas of all the J-Power jets vary so much.
The 50mm EDF range had huge variations in the exchaust area - a lot of them "incorrect".

Why not just mold them correctly in the first place? Too much extra weight in the tail?
Slaanesh is offline Find More Posts by Slaanesh
Old Jul 20, 2011, 04:53 AM
Life begins at transition
Australia, VIC, Sale
Joined May 2007
3,593 Posts
A smaller exhaust would reduce the tail weight though... I had to cut foam away to shrink it down.

Flies nice with the more svelt figure, but still pitches up on throttle application. I'll need to sort that one out, makes launching fun...
Odysis is offline Find More Posts by Odysis
Old Jul 20, 2011, 04:59 AM
I don't want to land yet!
Joined Jan 2010
1,500 Posts
Hey Ody, did you cut a V in the fuse like me? I reckon it stops the thrust affecting the pitch a little bit better... however you do have a bit more thrust!
Strike3 is offline Find More Posts by Strike3