HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 14, 2014, 08:18 AM
Germany, Berlin
Joined Sep 2014
13 Posts
Discussion
does the (stock) controller board of the nano QX "get old" ??

Hello there,

i have a lot of fun flying a Blade Nano QX for half a year now (maybe 3 hours net per week). May it be, that the controller board "gets old/weak"? My issue is, that i use new, tested motors, but still i don't get the usual performance.

May it be, that the motor driver cirquits get weak? I don't really want to buy a new controller board just to check, so i would like to know your ideas.

For insance, when trying the yaw axis, it always turns much faster in clockwise direction. Flips go much faster to the right and to the back - so you could suspect the rear right motor, but it is ok ..

Any ideas?
loeten is offline Find More Posts by loeten
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 14, 2014, 10:29 PM
Soaring Peacock Aerial Media
United States, CA, South Lake Tahoe
Joined Dec 2012
302 Posts
Do you have any cracks in your booms? My Nano flies like a turd if it has significant damage to the guards or booms. I use CA and some black thread to repair.
Jesse Buck is online now Find More Posts by Jesse Buck
Old Sep 15, 2014, 01:53 AM
Germany, Berlin
Joined Sep 2014
13 Posts
I will double-check this, but i think not.. Also i check, when hovering in front of me, that all props turn at the same level - but thanks & lets me check.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 02:09 AM
Joined Jun 2014
21 Posts
Mine had some very bad performance and was not flying well anymore. I found out the FET's on the PCB had not enough solder and developed some cracks. Unfortunately they are very near the plugs and you cannot resolder with the iron or hot air without affecting the plug sockets. So I removed the sockets resolderd the FETís with some more solder and mounted new sockets. After this everything was back to normal.
mj666 is offline Find More Posts by mj666
Old Sep 15, 2014, 02:39 AM
Germany, Berlin
Joined Sep 2014
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mj666 View Post
..and developed some cracks.
That's very interesting! So you mean, it's not the FET but the soldering?

How did it "misbehave" when flying, and did you have the impression that it gets worse every day? I mean - the soldering material does not "magically disappear" :-) or what did you see at the board?

I would not have a problem soldering the connectors off - i could re-solder them back on too..
Old Sep 15, 2014, 02:41 AM
Germany, Berlin
Joined Sep 2014
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mj666 View Post
Mine had some very bad performance and was not flying well anymore. I found out the FET's on the PCB had not enough solder and developed some cracks. Unfortunately they are very near the plugs and you cannot resolder with the iron or hot air without affecting the plug sockets. So I removed the sockets resolderd the FETís with some more solder and mounted new sockets. After this everything was back to normal.
Ah Sorry another question -did you replace the FETS with spare parts (which FET's to use? all the same? recommendet type?) OR did you use the originals and just resoldered?
Old Sep 15, 2014, 10:43 AM
Joined Jun 2014
21 Posts
I resoldered the original FET's. Only the soldering was bad. Add some solder and melt all FET contacts one by one or use a hot air station if you have (add some solder paste). No need to remove the FET's. You could see tiny cracks at the contacts with the magnifying glass. I was not able to unsolder the plug connector without breaking them. The pins melt the plastic during unsolder process. Better to lose them then the board itself. I have plenty of spare from eBay since I bought two sets of 50 connectors and plugs to mainly put plugs on new motors.
mj666 is offline Find More Posts by mj666
Last edited by mj666; Sep 15, 2014 at 03:33 PM.