HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 29, 2014, 04:58 PM
United States, CA, Dinuba
Joined Feb 2009
50 Posts
Discussion
Google multi rotor flying wing

ok by now alot of people must have seen the news about google's delivery project going on in Australia. Apparently, they are using handmade proto-type multi-rotor flying wings. the videos online don't show much, but these wings have vertical take off, fly like a normal wing and can hover. I want one.

who is going to make the first commercially available wing like this for us hobbyist? or if already available, please point me in the right direction.

thanks

TTS
ttsquirrel is offline Find More Posts by ttsquirrel
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 29, 2014, 06:14 PM
Somewhere in central Oklahoma
Joined Oct 2007
859 Posts
You talking about this? It's already available. Y configuration Tri-copter with six motors. They pivot to allow it to fly like a regular wing.

Airframe $499.00
Propulsion pack $399.00
Radio ????????????????

http://www.birdseyeview.aero/
cbxer55 is online now Find More Posts by cbxer55
Old Sep 01, 2014, 09:43 PM
Fair Winds to all
United States, MN, Faribault
Joined Jun 2001
317 Posts
There's already a new product thread on the Firefly6
dgoebel is offline Find More Posts by dgoebel
Old Sep 02, 2014, 10:16 AM
Joined Jun 2012
11 Posts
No, no.. Google wing is not a tilt rotor, it's a tail sitter fixed rotor... Very simple looking, surprised it has not already had a project started here to copy it.

Introducing Project Wing (2 min 2 sec)

79cj7jeep is offline Find More Posts by 79cj7jeep
Old Sep 02, 2014, 12:40 PM
Joined Oct 2007
859 Posts
There is a company marketing one almost identical, saw it here late last year or early this year. Don't think it's as big as the one above, but same exact principle of operation. Cannot recall the company name though, definitely not google.
This actually started in 2012, so technically google copied it, but made it considerably larger and slightly different motor arrangement.

Edit: Found it. http://transition-robotics.com/pages/frontpage

Flite Test - Quadshot - REVIEW (14 min 52 sec)

I just added my name to the list to be notified when they have more available. $350.00 for the RTF version, all you have to do is charge the batteries.
Last edited by cbxer55; Sep 02, 2014 at 01:14 PM.
Old Sep 07, 2014, 01:26 PM
Joined Oct 2007
859 Posts
So what, no comments on this somewhat fascinating flying wing aircraft? It's pretty darn unique, if you ask me. Plank platform wing that can take off vertically, transition into forward flight at the push of a button. Then transition back to vertical and land. I hope to be able to get one, but the website does not seem to have had much action since last year.
Old Sep 08, 2014, 02:24 AM
Bern, Switzerland
Joined Jun 2010
61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbxer55 View Post
There is a company marketing one almost identical, saw it here late last year or early this year. Don't think it's as big as the one above, but same exact principle of operation. Cannot recall the company name though, definitely not google.
This actually started in 2012, so technically google copied it, but made it considerably larger and slightly different motor arrangement.

Edit: Found it. http://transition-robotics.com/pages/frontpage

I just added my name to the list to be notified when they have more available. $350.00 for the RTF version, all you have to do is charge the batteries.
Seems that this company did not manage the transition from a startup to a continuously running business. Every position in their online shop is marked as "sold out", and, as you mentioned. last change at their HP is dated 2012.
ConEx is offline Find More Posts by ConEx