HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Sep 12, 2014, 11:29 AM
flitelab's Avatar
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
5.8gHz Tx/Rx. I have used this set up for users that have not wanted to have the LB run both RC and vTx functions.
Not a solution with the DJI 5.8 radio, limited switches, for example no way to use retracts, no model memory for multiple aircraft, no timers, etc.. People don't want to buy new radios, they want to use the gear they have.

This is the downfall of LB, just a convoluted setup with cables and extra points of failure.

A HD video only system is what is needed.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2014, 01:05 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitelab View Post
Not a solution with the DJI 5.8 radio, limited switches, for example no way to use retracts, no model memory for multiple aircraft, no timers, etc.. People don't want to buy new radios, they want to use the gear they have.

This is the downfall of LB, just a convoluted setup with cables and extra points of failure.

A HD video only system is what is needed.
Flightlab.

So now you are DJI, how would you improve the Lightbridge. I am not being facetious here, what would you do if you were the PM? There are a lot of people that are using the LB for far range FPV and RC control. They like it. Are you recommending a different frequency or what? I am interested.
Tahoe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2014, 01:45 PM
aka Helidaho
AeroVideoUS's Avatar
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Jun 2010
2,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
You can but you will not have any telemetry.
That's understandable but I imagine an OSD overlay could be put into the camera feed prior to going into LB? Although I guess there's probably not any HD OSD's out there besides this

Quote:
Originally Posted by flitelab View Post
The issue is the control signal and if LB will interfere with it. We are goign to do some testing as we need an HD solution but want to avoid the clunky setup of LB for control.
Am I understanding this correctly that to get the video and control through the LB it has to be DJI gear and radio?

The reason I ask is an HD FPV solution sounds like a great idea but I don't currently have any DJI multicopters

Thanks for the info guys!
AeroVideoUS is online now Find More Posts by AeroVideoUS
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2014, 01:56 PM
flitelab's Avatar
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
Flightlab.

So now you are DJI, how would you improve the Lightbridge. I am not being facetious here, what would you do if you were the PM? There are a lot of people that are using the LB for far range FPV and RC control. They like it. Are you recommending a different frequency or what? I am interested.
Yes, it should have been a video only system running on 5.8 Not a video and control system on 2.4

It is a non standard clumsy setup. Multiple cables and tethering of pilot and gimbal operator, all points of failure.

So if I were the PM I would have gone down that path similar to Paralinx Tomahawk and Teradek Bolt that run on 5GHz.
It should be a system that works with existing setups, not something that replaces complete systems.

As is it makes it difficult to run multiple aircraft, each requires a separate LB or rebinding for every time you switch. Or you need to use 5.8 for control which currently there are no decent radios for nor is it an accepted frequency for control.

Does LB work as is? Sure with a bit of setup and extra wiring.
Is it ideal? No.

LB is a step forward but down the wrong path IMHO.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2014, 02:01 PM
flitelab's Avatar
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,029 Posts
I did some ground testing with LB and an AR8000 receiver. With LB on for video only it causes 600+ fades in the same range you see around 4 with LB off. So it definitely impacts the control receiver when used together. I can get a successful range check at 30 paces but the way it impacts the signal is too much a concern to use for a production system.

Will do further testing but doesn't look viable as an option.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2014, 02:02 PM
flitelab's Avatar
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroVideoUS View Post

Am I understanding this correctly that to get the video and control through the LB it has to be DJI gear and radio?

The reason I ask is an HD FPV solution sounds like a great idea but I don't currently have any DJI multicopters

Thanks for the info guys!
yes and no, its easier with DJI flight controller but you might be able to make it work on other systems with SBus decoder.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2014, 02:39 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitelab View Post
Yes, it should have been a video only system running on 5.8 Not a video and control system on 2.4

It is a non standard clumsy setup. Multiple cables and tethering of pilot and gimbal operator, all points of failure.

So if I were the PM I would have gone down that path similar to Paralinx Tomahawk and Teradek Bolt that run on 5GHz.
It should be a system that works with existing setups, not something that replaces complete systems.

As is it makes it difficult to run multiple aircraft, each requires a separate LB or rebinding for every time you switch. Or you need to use 5.8 for control which currently there are no decent radios for nor is it an accepted frequency for control.

Does LB work as is? Sure with a bit of setup and extra wiring.
Is it ideal? No.

LB is a step forward but down the wrong path IMHO.
Thank you for your input. I have forwarded this on to DJI for their consideration in future developments.
Tahoe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2014, 02:43 PM
DJI SUPPORT / TESTING
blade strike's Avatar
United States, CA, Big Bear
Joined Jan 2006
10,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitelab View Post
Yes, it should have been a video only system running on 5.8 Not a video and control system on 2.4

It is a non standard clumsy setup. Multiple cables and tethering of pilot and gimbal operator, all points of failure.

So if I were the PM I would have gone down that path similar to Paralinx Tomahawk and Teradek Bolt that run on 5GHz.
It should be a system that works with existing setups, not something that replaces complete systems.

As is it makes it difficult to run multiple aircraft, each requires a separate LB or rebinding for every time you switch. Or you need to use 5.8 for control which currently there are no decent radios for nor is it an accepted frequency for control.

Does LB work as is? Sure with a bit of setup and extra wiring.
Is it ideal? No.

LB is a step forward but down the wrong path IMHO.
I don't agree. . We would be down to about 100 meters on a good day. This is why there are different systems available. If the paralinx works better for your use, by all means use it.
blade strike is online now Find More Posts by blade strike
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 12, 2014, 02:51 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blade strike View Post
I don't agree. . We would be down to about 100 meters on a good day. This is why there are different systems available. If the paralinx works better for your use, by all means use it.
Blade I do agree with you. That is why so many people have been attracted to the Lightbridge, distance and price. I am sure that we will continue to see improvements in the future to make the system better. 5.8 systems will always be limited in distance vs a 2.4 system.
Tahoe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2014, 02:55 PM
flitelab's Avatar
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blade strike View Post
I don't agree. . We would be down to about 100 meters on a good day. This is why there are different systems available. If the paralinx works better for your use, by all means use it.
Was asked for my feedback by Ed, so I gave it. Other systems do well over 100 meters on 5.8 so its not that limited in range. For our needs and needs of many doing commercial shoots, 1KM and under is more that adequate. In Canada you cannot commercially use FPV, all must be LOS so the extended range doesn't offer much in that area. Typically we are within 300 meters.

DJI either wants and welcomes feedback or they don't; one support persons asks for it the other basically says PFO.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2014, 02:58 PM
flitelab's Avatar
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
Thank you for your input. I have forwarded this on to DJI for their consideration in future developments.
Thanks. I would love a video only system like LB that was good for 1KM and under.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2014, 05:31 PM
DJI SUPPORT / TESTING
blade strike's Avatar
United States, CA, Big Bear
Joined Jan 2006
10,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitelab View Post
Was asked for my feedback by Ed, so I gave it. Other systems do well over 100 meters on 5.8 so its not that limited in range. For our needs and needs of many doing commercial shoots, 1KM and under is more that adequate. In Canada you cannot commercially use FPV, all must be LOS so the extended range doesn't offer much in that area. Typically we are within 300 meters.

DJI either wants and welcomes feedback or they don't; one support persons asks for it the other basically says PFO.
I agree you gave your opinion and I disagreed that's the thing about opinions, right?

We used the paralinx at the photoshop world and got less than 100m on the ronin . So maybe in a good day you can get more.

Each technology has it pluses and minuses.. I for one love the lightbridge setup now using the hd gimbal. The only drawback is having to have camera operator and pilot connected. But I run single operator mostly so it's not that big of an issue for me. Once again different requirement and use.

Please understand I wasn't trying to say you didn't have the right to give feedback. I do know for a fact Ed forwarded your post to the correct people so who knows
blade strike is online now Find More Posts by blade strike
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 12, 2014, 05:48 PM
DJI SUPPORT / TESTING
blade strike's Avatar
United States, CA, Big Bear
Joined Jan 2006
10,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitelab View Post
Thanks. I would love a video only system like LB that was good for 1KM and under.
Won't happen in hd with current technology. Even the 7-$8k systems can't even come close to 300m. You just don't have the pipe with 5.8 at those distances.
blade strike is online now Find More Posts by blade strike
Site Sponsor
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product DJI Lightbridge HD Video + Digital Link mkmkmk13 FPV Talk 29 Jun 28, 2014 03:08 AM
For Sale Mobius Full HD 1080P FPV / Surveillance camera with TV/Video out cables kazmandy FPV Equipment (FS/W) 0 Oct 28, 2013 10:07 AM
For Sale The Smallest Mini DV Camera 5.0MP HD Digital Video Recorder ahub Aircraft - General - Miscellaneous (FS/W) 0 Oct 11, 2013 02:14 PM
Sold ($225) Panasonic HDC-HS250 120GB Full HD Cam Digital Camcorder - 1080p Whoaty55 Non R/C Items (FS/W) 1 Oct 09, 2013 08:16 AM