HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 02, 2013, 01:14 PM
Graham Kirkland
Port Alfred South Africa
Joined Jun 2009
355 Posts
Discussion
Storm DLG - a fully moulded project

It is about time that I started this thread, even though I still have a lot of details to sort out.

It is not yet at the stage where I can say "fire the engineer and build the thing". When a creative person gets hold of a CAD system and a CNC router, the possibilities are endless.

I have settled on the basics of what I want and you can see from the CAD pictures what it will look like.

The wing uses a proprietary blend of the Synergy foils, has an area of 1984cm2 with a root chord of 165mm and an aspect ratio of 11.3. The design of the flying surfaces is complete, with the exception of the interface between the wing and fuse.

It will be designed for 4-in-the-pod (sorry Gerald, not a skinny fuse this time) and the servo and battery accommodations can be seen in the ghosted view.

I have yet to sort out the aileron activation system but I am hoping to be able to get it all inside the fuse. The fuse will probably need to be widened under the wing for this to happen.

Although this may change once I get seriously into refinement of the fuselage, the current thinking is to have a slip-on nose cone and a plug-in ballast system with its own access hatch and secure lock-in system. I have become very aware of the need to fly at the appropriate weight for the conditions and the system I have in mind will allow for sub 10 second ballast changes.

This whole process of CAD / CAM / CNC milling is new to me and I have a lot to learn so this project is going to take some time. The major part moulds will be aluminium and I am hoping to get the first one back from the machine shop next week. That will be the vertical stabiliser.

The planes shown are bagged prototype wings on Karisma fuselages. They have a ballast tube built-in under the wing, accessible through the canopy. The Dbox version is rudderless and has a AUW of 235g and the carbon version has a rudder and a AUW of 250g.

I have my Snipe flying now and I have been doing a little side-by side testing with the 2 planes shown. I am not yet fully comfortable with the Snipe so I won't say too much at this stage about the testing except that I have been encouraged by what I have seen so far.

Graham
graham1234 is online now Find More Posts by graham1234
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 03, 2013, 05:35 AM
SCSA - Nick Wu
China, Guangdong, Guangzhou
Joined Apr 2009
782 Posts
Look nice!
Same airfoil but different with karisma, what this plane aim for?
nickbox is offline Find More Posts by nickbox
Old Nov 03, 2013, 08:02 AM
Graham Kirkland
Port Alfred South Africa
Joined Jun 2009
355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbox View Post
Look nice!
Same airfoil but different with karisma, what this plane aim for?
I suppose I should have answered this question in the first post. The goals are not a lot different to the Karisma - good launch, light weight, the ability to run well and good handling. The Karisma was a little edgy and I was hoping to tame its behaviour a little. Not a lot, as I think that would detract from its responsive handling.

After quite a bit of experience with the Karisma, I had a gut feel that something with a slightly wider root chord would be more in line with the above goals. The fully moulded wing has allowed me to move to a plan-form which has a wing area which is not a lot larger than the Karisma, but has a better distribution. It has been adequately demonstrated in the initial testing that the new wing has very different handling characteristics.

I dont want to talk too much about the handling of the prototypes as they are bagged and their handling may differ from the eventual moulded wings. The initial testing has, however, indicated that I am moving in the right direction.

Graham
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 03, 2013, 08:08 AM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
3,071 Posts
Graham, very cool to see it all come together after our discussions about the plane in Denmark, really looking forward to this one! Can't wait to try it after it's completed!
ThomasLee is online now Find More Posts by ThomasLee
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Neos Layups
Old Nov 03, 2013, 12:58 PM
Stirring the pot
Port Elizabeth South Africa
Joined Jun 2008
4,013 Posts
Wow Graham,

That looks awesome!!
J
johannlochner is offline Find More Posts by johannlochner
Old Nov 04, 2013, 04:15 PM
Peter Madsen
Denmark
Joined Dec 2009
69 Posts
Really looking forward to this dlg. You have me sold on the synergy foils. Love the way the Karisma flies.
pbm77 is offline Find More Posts by pbm77
Old Nov 04, 2013, 11:45 PM
We Do It With FRQZ
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Aug 2009
2,131 Posts
How much $ does a DLG cost. I really like them. I've never flown one, but i love the idea of just a throw n go kind of plane.
dkintx is offline Find More Posts by dkintx
Old Nov 05, 2013, 09:18 AM
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
3,437 Posts
Graham, looking really good, might have to get one of these.

dkintz, I assume you were led here by the photos that have ended up on the front page! This is not the right thread for your question, plenty of answers in the groups, best bet is to score the classifieds and pickup a used Taboo GT or similar for ~$300. Or order a plane from Graham, his are excellent bang for the buck.
samc99us is offline Find More Posts by samc99us
Old Nov 05, 2013, 10:39 AM
One Idiot is plenty...
Planet Earth
Joined Jun 2005
5,152 Posts
I am glad,You will make 4 servos pod with elegant lines,not a mass production Blaster's "broom stick".
It is not just an elegant lines ,it is much more aerodynamically correct,easier to launch and hand catch
Great job Graham.
Yuri.
P.S. "....Planes fly because they beautiful "
Dbox is online now Find More Posts by Dbox
Old Nov 05, 2013, 11:39 PM
We Do It With FRQZ
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Aug 2009
2,131 Posts
my apologies i will find the correct thread.
dkintx is offline Find More Posts by dkintx
Old Nov 06, 2013, 08:54 AM
Joined Apr 2009
1,057 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkintx View Post
my apologies i will find the correct thread.
+1 on buying used for first dlg.

The repairs you WILL make on the plane, will give some experience working with composites.

Then, if you don't want a big $ plane, read the Top Sky (2/3.0) threads and build one.

OK, enough hijacking on my part, there's more than enough info here on RCG to get you going.

ps (google + rcgroups) what your looking for, this search engine isn't very good.
Triggerhappy is offline Find More Posts by Triggerhappy
Old Nov 10, 2013, 12:08 PM
Retirement is good
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Jun 2011
406 Posts
… and your basis in fact is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbox View Post
I am glad,You will make 4 servos pod with elegant lines,not a mass production Blaster's "broom stick".
It is not just an elegant lines ,it is much more aerodynamically correct,easier to launch and hand catch
Great job Graham.
Yuri.
P.S. "....Planes fly because they beautiful "
Yuri, you do have a way with words, in this case taking a swipe at the Snipe with its “production”… “broom stick” fuselage. Let’s take a look at the facts… and what the Snipe design and execution offers:

Impeccable fit and finish. That includes the fit of the tail feathers, wing and nosecone to the fuselage… and the ingenious (very strong) wing mounting system… perfect.

Absolutely simple equipment installation AND maintenance, offering room for a variety of equipment choices, with 4 servos in the pod.

Absolutely clean aero interface with the wing leading edge, and with enclosed flapperon push rods.

Simple ballast provisions with zero interference regardless of the equipment used... easy to change (just a few seconds) with the slip on nosecone and huge weight options.

Proven strength and launch height monster, with a fuselage cross-section of only about 11 cm^2 versus the Storm’s at about 14 cm^2, as proposed. See picture below. Yuri, you said “more aerodynamically correct” without any basis in fact.

I don’t know about your Snipe’s fuselage weight but mine is only 38 grams including the pull strings, pretty darn light for all it offers.

That said, I think Graham’s work is outstanding and he has offered excellent products for very low prices… not sure how he does it but he deserves big kudos and we all wish him great success with the Storm.

… just no need to knock another’s product without any basis in fact whatsoever, Yuri.
rofly is online now Find More Posts by rofly
Old Nov 10, 2013, 11:29 PM
Graham Kirkland
Port Alfred South Africa
Joined Jun 2009
355 Posts
rofly - interesting - how did you get the cross section of the Snipe so accurately.

Your analysis of the cross section area of the Storm forward fuselage area does not take into account the droop in the nose. The droop makes the cross section area look larger than it is. The true maximum cross section area of the Storm forward fuselage is 12.25 cm2.

Graham
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 11, 2013, 02:02 AM
United States, MI, South Lyon
Joined Feb 2005
151 Posts
I've traced the B3 cross section on graph paper, which I believe to be the same as the Snipe and got 10.7 centimeters squared, close enough to Dick.
Thanks for clarifying your cross sectional area Graham.
Out of curiosity, in relation to the centerline of the tail boom, how many degrees do you droop the nose of the Storm?
Chris
drive320 is offline Find More Posts by drive320
Old Nov 11, 2013, 02:19 AM
Graham Kirkland
Port Alfred South Africa
Joined Jun 2009
355 Posts
The center line curves down from the wing forward, so the droop angle varies as I get further from the wing.

It ends up, at the nose, at about 5 deg droop.

Graham
RCG Plus Member