HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 14, 2013, 05:26 PM
Joined Oct 2012
19 Posts
Help!
Making Molds In 3-D CAD

I am using Xenon by Ashlar-Vellum. I have been very successful creating solid wings and "subtracting" them from solid blocks to produce virtual 3-D molds. Up 'til now, I have done this with a "two rail sweep". It works fine as long as
only one airfoil profile is required. I then export an STL file. I open the STL file in CUT 3-D by Vectric and it creates my tool paths. My Laguna HHC reads the files fine and produces molds that have successfully produced multiple wing
panels.
Here's the problem. Now I want to make a Supra Wing mold. I need to transition from an Ag40 to an Ag41 in the first panel. Then go from anAg41 to anAg42 to an Ag43 in the second panel and put a 0.5 degree twist in that panel.
So far I can't make it happen.
It may be a limitation of the Xenon software or my limitation understanding its operation.
I'm looking for help.

Jim
James P. Loughra is offline Find More Posts by James P. Loughra
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2013, 05:44 PM
Joined Oct 2012
19 Posts
Is there someone out there that can provide CAD/CAM services?
James P. Loughra is offline Find More Posts by James P. Loughra
Old Oct 15, 2013, 05:24 PM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,257 Posts
I can give a try at skinning it for you.
Roto Rob is online now Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Old Oct 16, 2013, 04:17 PM
Scott Zastoupil
USA, WI, Waupaca
Joined Aug 2002
1,625 Posts
James,

I use Viacad for modeling, which looks very similar to the Ashlar product. It is my understanding Viacad was formed by ex-Ashlar people. It's funny to see that most of the icons and menus in the Xenon product are virtually identical to Viacad Pro.

Anyway, it's been a couple of years, but I did import some AG series airfoils into viacad. I forget if its an ASCII import as polylines or spline. Also check this Rhino thread for ideas. It was helpful to me when trying to get a solid model from a DAT source. You may need to add an extra point to the DAT file to close the loop, or create it in CAD. Another strategy I've seen is to split the top and bottom half of the wing points in order to get a spline to curve fit properly.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1097383

I have a friend that uses Viacad/Shark products and think this comment should apply to the Ashlar stuff.

"If you are lofting a wing from a DAT file -- SPLINE input -- remember that solid lofting (in any tool) requires the profile to be completely closed. The DAT file typically comes out with a gap at the trailing edge. So instead of a loft you want to use a the 'surface with guide' tool."
szastoupil is online now Find More Posts by szastoupil
Old Oct 19, 2013, 01:55 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,590 Posts
Hi Guys! thought I'd do some surfin' in the CAD department, came across this cool story!(check my blog) anyway, also a very cool tool ( don't know if it's listed on the ViaCAD, is a tangent cover surface- that may work-
Jim, are you forming the twist with located 'foils or an actual 'twist 'tool?
Johnny
Captain Canardly is online now Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Doin' What come naturally!
Old Oct 26, 2013, 06:39 AM
France, Auvergne, Lapalisse
Joined Dec 2005
913 Posts
devwing profilipro2

Quote:
Originally Posted by James P. Loughra View Post
I am using Xenon by Ashlar-Vellum. I have been very successful creating solid wings and "subtracting" them from solid blocks to produce virtual 3-D molds. Up 'til now, I have done this with a "two rail sweep". It works fine as long as
only one airfoil profile is required. I then export an STL file. I open the STL file in CUT 3-D by Vectric and it creates my tool paths. My Laguna HHC reads the files fine and produces molds that have successfully produced multiple wing
panels.
Here's the problem. Now I want to make a Supra Wing mold. I need to transition from an Ag40 to an Ag41 in the first panel. Then go from anAg41 to anAg42 to an Ag43 in the second panel and put a 0.5 degree twist in that panel.
So far I can't make it happen.
It may be a limitation of the Xenon software or my limitation understanding its operation.
I'm looking for help.

Jim
dpot is offline Find More Posts by dpot
Old Oct 31, 2013, 03:39 AM
Australia, VIC, Mitcham
Joined Dec 2011
77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by James P. Loughra View Post
Is there someone out there that can provide CAD/CAM services?
Can give you a hand with it in SW2013 as well as toolpath it for you in MasterCAM, if you're stuck for a solution.
Andy_RR is offline Find More Posts by Andy_RR
Old Aug 18, 2014, 10:53 PM
United States, MI, Monroe
Joined Mar 2000
810 Posts
ShopBot

I have a ShopBot 96x48x6 I think I can do what you need.
Kevin Matney is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Matney
Old Aug 19, 2014, 08:48 AM
Scott Zastoupil
USA, WI, Waupaca
Joined Aug 2002
1,625 Posts
Kevin,

Very nice! What are the foam plugs used for? Do you coat the foam with something for making the mold? Or is this a lost foam?

Scott
szastoupil is online now Find More Posts by szastoupil
Old Aug 20, 2014, 08:07 PM
Joined Mar 2000
810 Posts
covering

I use 2 layers of 6 oz then 1 layer of 2 oz and epoxy resin
Old Sep 09, 2014, 11:05 AM
Italy
Joined Jan 2003
221 Posts
Returning back to the original question, you can try the just released devWing Mold, see http://www.devcad.com/eng/devwingmold.asp

durone is offline Find More Posts by durone
Old Sep 10, 2014, 12:45 PM
Registered Loon
Jeffreys Bay South Africa
Joined May 2006
1,313 Posts
can you put locating holes and resin troughs in ?
Blackrat is offline Find More Posts by Blackrat
Old Sep 10, 2014, 05:21 PM
Fossilator
Fullerton, CA
Joined Nov 2004
1,807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackrat View Post
can you put locating holes and resin troughs in ?
I have the Beta1 version and yes it will do locating holes. Auto if you choose or you place them where you want them.

Resin Channel - well I have not been able to find that function yet. I was just getting ready to ask Stefano about the channel. Just maybe in the actual release, don't know. It's a deal breaker for me at the moment as with access to expensive software it's difficult to add the Channel. I did it once but very time consuming or it take talent.

Not much time spent with it so far but it looks promising. along with the Devstltools ( free ) you can split the mold if too deep for your machine, big plus on that. I will see how that goes maybe in a week or so.

Multiple airfoils and or sections which Profili Mold wouldn't do another plus.

So for me to hit the buy button, it's just the resin channel I think. I plan on direct Female molds so I just need the TE channel but for the guys wanting males they might want a way channel all around as most likely using a Ball Cutter, not a resin channel but you know what I mean.

There are Boolean functions in Devstltools but my eyes glazed over on that page.

I see it also has a function for TE thickening of which I need to figure out.
danfield is offline Find More Posts by danfield
Old Sep 10, 2014, 06:13 PM
Italy
Joined Jan 2003
221 Posts
About resin channels: I need some demo picture to understand the way you need them.
I asked to some mold makers, and they suggested me to add the special TE customization I already added to the application. This lets you to create in a simple way a very sharp TE and make the extra resin flow out there.
See the second page of the Mold wizard and read the Help included in the final release 1.00.
If you can send me some picture with examples of resin channels to info@devcad.com I'll evaluate if/how to add them.
durone is offline Find More Posts by durone
Old Sep 10, 2014, 07:25 PM
Joined Mar 2000
810 Posts
Plugs for molds

Here are the fuse plug for a Q/40 AR6