SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 03, 2013, 01:59 PM
Red Lake Falls, MN
Joined Aug 2004
157 Posts
Question
Still wrapping rx's in foam on fuel planes?

I know most people no longer do this on electrics. What about fuel planes? Why? Why not?
rlfgary is offline Find More Posts by rlfgary
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 03, 2013, 02:04 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,865 Posts
With 2.4Ghz radio gear, I don't need to wrap the RX in foam to protect it. I simply use some velcro to stick the RX where I want. With a 3d plane using a velcro strip to also hold the RX in place from the Gee forces is good too. The 2.4ghz gear is much more vibration resistant as it doesn't have delicate large frequency crystals, transformers and non-surface mount components to break from the vibration levels. So velcro works great and still isolates the RX from vibration just fine.

I still foam pad the battery pack though.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Gaui X3's
Old Apr 03, 2013, 02:23 PM
Joined Mar 2007
1,059 Posts
I glue the Rx to a foam pad ... then glue the pad to a small bit of liteply.

I screw the liteply to the airframe to securely locate the assembly.

This is neat and provides good access to the Rx terminals and any buttons.
bogbeagle is offline Find More Posts by bogbeagle
Old Apr 03, 2013, 02:46 PM
United States, FL, Sarasota
Joined Dec 2010
331 Posts
I just use velcro to attach my receiver to the fuselage. Many others do it as well and I have never heard of a failure. The FM radios need the foam pads because (what earlwb said). Always make sure you have room to position your antennas in a 90 degree relationship with each other to get signal diversity and so there are no "gaps" in the signal.
Rcflyyer1 is offline Find More Posts by Rcflyyer1
Old Apr 03, 2013, 04:48 PM
United States, FL, Largo
Joined Feb 2006
617 Posts
Funny, I was thinking about this lately too. In my Escapade I have a Tactic 4 ch rx and I just have it secured with velcro to the servo tray. Unsure if I just don't care or what. In the 90's EVERY rx i had in a plane was wrapped in foam and possibly in a bag. Now my SIG Somethin Extra has a bit of foam wrapped around it. Glow engines tend to create a bit more vibration, especially the 4-strokes and then it might be a good idea. Of course I also USED to soft mount my 4-stroke engines, but I no longer do that either... Maybe I am tempting fate...
dmrcflyr2 is online now Find More Posts by dmrcflyr2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Another small 4 stroke
Old Apr 03, 2013, 11:31 PM
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Nov 2007
1,312 Posts
Before yo glue the Velcro on to the receiver, lay a layer of packing tape on the bottom of the receiver. Glue the Velcro to the packing tape. Then if you ever want to return the radio to original condition, remove the tape. I've been doing this for ages with no failures of the tape (it stick like chocolate or similar substances, to a blanket).
Arceenut is online now Find More Posts by Arceenut
Old Apr 04, 2013, 11:32 AM
United States, OR, Canby
Joined Aug 2011
2,242 Posts
I don't use foam in glow planes but do with gas.
600Bob is online now Find More Posts by 600Bob
Old Apr 04, 2013, 04:36 PM
Beaumont tx
Joined Oct 2004
3,737 Posts
vibration and fragile crystals make the foam necessary on gassies.
howelel
gwinhh is offline Find More Posts by gwinhh
Old Apr 04, 2013, 10:40 PM
I'm a pilot... 100 yrs to late
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,428 Posts
always use foam on my fuel planes.. 2.4 or not. Makes no sense not to.... vibratoin will cause issues eventually to unprotected equipment and I spend quite a bit of time on my builds so it's no big deal to wrap in foam and zip tie it in th fuse.
Thermalin is offline Find More Posts by Thermalin
Old Apr 05, 2013, 12:26 AM
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Nov 2007
1,312 Posts
Foam is a good heat insulator. With the small sizes of the new receivers with the smaller heat dissipation area and the use of higher voltage batteries, the receiver can get much hotter. Some radios had a heat issue earlier and the suggestion at the time was NOT to bury them in foam. The heat failure issue I believe has been addressed but why torture the receiver because it supposedly can take it?
Arceenut is online now Find More Posts by Arceenut
Old Apr 05, 2013, 01:07 PM
I'm a pilot... 100 yrs to late
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,428 Posts
I just prefer it.. i don;t bury them or wrap them tight.. just a jacket as opposed to sticking it directly to a vibrating piece of wood for glow anyway... i just stick it on the electrics.. My glow volts is regulated at 5 so no issue there and I'm generally 4 channels with normal loads.. no 3d.. no large scale...
Thermalin is offline Find More Posts by Thermalin
Old Apr 05, 2013, 02:25 PM
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Dec 2006
1,655 Posts
I join the crowd, I too use Velcro to mount the receiver. I also use Hitech 2.4 Aurora system and have not had a failure in the last two and half years. Also use nothing but 6V batteries with lots of capacity.

There are no crystals in the 2.4 equipment to fail due to vibration. Much simpler set ups.
Chip01 is offline Find More Posts by Chip01
Last edited by Chip01; Apr 05, 2013 at 02:26 PM. Reason: typo