HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 02, 2013, 07:20 AM
Flying = Falling (Slowly)
Tulsa, OK
Joined May 2004
2,598 Posts
Discussion
F5J Contest Kit

I have assembled a "Contest Kit" for groups interested in having a go at F5J competition. It consists of:

12 Sky Limit altitude switches
10 Landing Tapes
1 USB Dongle with Gliderscore Scoring Program
1 Prerecorded flight sequence (on the dongle)
1 PDF File of FAI rules (on the dongle)
50 Pre-perforated sheets for individual score cards
1 Instructions for installing necessary programs

For those who are unfamiliar with F5J, it is similar to ALES except the pilot determines the launch height and his score is adjusted to reward using the lowest possible altitude to achieve the task. So far, planes suited for either task are identical. The similarities and differences are as follows:

1. Both events use man-on-man launches. The ALES task has a 10 second launch window. F5J uses a simultaneous launch which is also the beginning of a 10 minute flight window (15 minute for fly-offs)

2. ALES specifies a particular launch altitude. Contestants in F5J launch to any altitude they please, but when they land the Launch Height is read off of their Altitude Device (in this case, the Sky Limit) and entered on to the score card. In ALES you enter time and landing score. In F5J you enter time, landing score and Launch Height.

3. ALES prescribes a task time goal and contestants RAW SCORE is equal to the number of seconds flown up to the prescribed task time in seconds and one point of RAW SCORE is deducted for each second flown over the task time. One point of RAW SCORE is given in F5J for each second of flight within the prescribed launch window. 1/2 point is deducted from RAW score for every meter of LAUNCH HEIGHT UP TO 200 meters plus 3 points for every meter over 200 meters. There is no deduction for seconds flown in the first minute after the launch window closes, but no landing bonus is allowed. No flight score in F5J for flying in excess of one minute past the close of the launch window.

4. Both ALES and F5J use the same 10 meter, 50 point landing tape.

5. ALES scores are determined by normalizing the RAW SCORES within each flight group. F5J scores are determined by normalizing the sum of the RAW SCORES and LANDING BONUSES within each flight group.

F5J may not be everybody's cup of tea, but it will be an interesting and entertaining alternative for some competitors. It has been well received in other parts of the world. Unlike most FAI events, it is relatively uncomplicated -- basically, from the contestants point-of-view it requires entering one more easily determined number on the scorecard when you land. And the scorekeeper has to enter one more number into the computer.

In addition, it is possible to use essentially the same routine to fly a version of F5J Lite where you abandon the hard window and simply fly it like ALES and score it like F5J.

Anyway, the contest kit is available for any interested group for the cost of round trip shipping and insurance. In addition, I travel a lot and if it fits my schedule, I would be pleased to come and set up and score for your group if that would be of use.

Finally, the Sky Flights that are in the kit are not officially approved for F5J, but they are fully functional for local level contests. I have a number of approved units which are also available to allow interested parties to sample them and see how they work.

As I said at the start, F5J is not everybody's cup of tea. And its not meant to be. But if you are interested, give it a shot.

Happy Landings,

Don
dharban is online now Find More Posts by dharban
Last edited by dharban; Apr 03, 2013 at 09:40 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 12, 2013, 08:40 AM
Skye Malcolm
Upper Arlington, OH
Joined Mar 2009
640 Posts
Don

I'm interested in this for Dayton or Columbus. Maybe we could time it so we do one before or after the Polecat weekend and you could join us?

-Skye Malcolm
skye8070 is offline Find More Posts by skye8070