SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 05, 2011, 12:26 PM
United States, TX, Midland
Joined Nov 2006
74 Posts
Discussion
Someone talk me out of this

so i been browsing the century site.. and im looking at scale bodies and stuff and thinking im really not in a hurry to get a heli because i still need quit a bit more time on the sim i think.. but im great at mechanics. so i was debating getting a fuselage and all the gear and such and building my own since im not in a hurry.. problem is ive never flown anything bigger than a 450E.. oh man what to do.. oh i also have one question about multi heads even tho this prob isnt the right section i can see where it gives more lift and slightly more torque the tail rotor has to compensate for ether by spinning faster or more blades on the tail but.. how does it compare to a 2 blade head as far as handling and stability i assume being balance and all, stability should be no problem as over half of hovering is in the setup. i have 0 experience with multi heads so.. just curious.. do they act like a FBL system? or do the other blades like on a quad for ex. act as the fly bar to the other two?
nuttzzy34 is offline Find More Posts by nuttzzy34
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 05, 2011, 04:19 PM
Redjestird Youser
Joined Jan 2009
3,877 Posts
The bigger ones are easier to fly than a 450...but if youre having trouble with the 450, the bigger ones can do some serious damage also. Flybar 2 blades will handle better than multiblade/non-stabilized. Going to a electronic cyclic stabilizer on any number of blades is a whole 'nother world . But best to learn flybar flying to a competant level, it will show you what the heli is doing in a ways, many electronic solutions will autopilot enough so that a full understanding of the heli's dynamics might get lost, and they are helpful to know when setting up/flying also
SidewaysLS4 is offline Find More Posts by SidewaysLS4
Old Aug 05, 2011, 05:51 PM
Track clear , smoke on !
3 miles from AMA HQ Muncie, IN.
Joined Jan 2009
1,768 Posts
+1 everything Sideways said, learn to fly the 450 well first and add 5-8mph wind on the sim to get it more like the real world before putting the money into a large scale bird and your wallet will think you.

Just a thought , to see if it is for you - why not get a fuselage kit for your 450 first to try.It's a lot less money so if it gets crashed you won't feel as bad and there are many nice FG kits on the market. That would give you a chance to experiment with multi blade heads at a cheaper price as well. If you look though this forum there have been many great 450 builds and most of us are more then glade to help with info.
cap231ex is offline Find More Posts by cap231ex
Old Aug 05, 2011, 07:36 PM
Joined Nov 2006
74 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap231ex View Post
+1 everything Sideways said, learn to fly the 450 well first and add 5-8mph wind on the sim to get it more like the real world before putting the money into a large scale bird and your wallet will think you.

Just a thought , to see if it is for you - why not get a fuselage kit for your 450 first to try.It's a lot less money so if it gets crashed you won't feel as bad and there are many nice FG kits on the market. That would give you a chance to experiment with multi blade heads at a cheaper price as well. If you look though this forum there have been many great 450 builds and most of us are more then glade to help with info.
cause my 450 was 5 years ago i dont own it anymore.. i got out of rc for awhile but not im looking to get back in
Old Aug 09, 2011, 09:53 AM
AMA# 548800
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
5,051 Posts
get a 450 pro , it will fly very smooth and i must say one of the best 450 out in stability. i went from a 450v1 to the pro and it almost flew itself , the v1 was always on the controlls . go for a copterx450 pro , mine is going together so easily and no slop i wish i bough it al long time ago .
jombo is online now Find More Posts by jombo
Old Aug 13, 2011, 04:30 PM
Joined Nov 2006
74 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jombo View Post
get a 450 pro , it will fly very smooth and i must say one of the best 450 out in stability. i went from a 450v1 to the pro and it almost flew itself , the v1 was always on the controlls . go for a copterx450 pro , mine is going together so easily and no slop i wish i bough it al long time ago .
sorry man i already have a 600 pro and a backup 600 frame and engine.. for my scale
Old Aug 13, 2011, 05:15 PM
Track clear , smoke on !
Joined Jan 2009
1,768 Posts
I would practice on a simulator and get comfortable with that then fly the 600 without the fuselage to get comfortable with that. These two things should save you replacing the fuselage.

After you are comfortable flying the 600 with the flybar then swap out you main head to the scale head you wish to use and E-stab unit ( if you plan on using one) and fly it without the fuselage again till you are comfortable and have it tuned to your liking.

Good luck and have fun.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 07:27 PM
Joined Nov 2006
74 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap231ex View Post
I would practice on a simulator and get comfortable with that then fly the 600 without the fuselage to get comfortable with that. These two things should save you replacing the fuselage.

After you are comfortable flying the 600 with the flybar then swap out you main head to the scale head you wish to use and E-stab unit ( if you plan on using one) and fly it without the fuselage again till you are comfortable and have it tuned to your liking.

Good luck and have fun.
yeah i got about 2 months now on the sim and i can pretty much do everything unless its upside down.. i can hover upside down but thats about it anything fancy im not to good at but upright i can come back and land and everything. yeah got a SK720 stab unit and prob gonna join it with the GY520 Gyro this a good combo? and yes body style is way down the line set up and everything is way before body. very helpful tips +1 to ya thanks for the info
Old Aug 13, 2011, 08:02 PM
Track clear , smoke on !
Joined Jan 2009
1,768 Posts
No you don't need the GY-520 gyro , the SK-720 is a 6-axis gyro and has a tail gyro built into it . To couple the GY-520 to the SK-720 you will not gain anything but spend extra money on a gyro you do not need , besides from what I have heard the SK-720 has a pretty kick a$$ tail gyro.

As for the sim add at least 5-8mph wind to it in the adjustments manu , this will give you a better feel for what it will be like to fly the real thing . Unlike the sim the real heli's altitude will change as the wind hits the rotor diskand it will also effect the tail control on windy days (ie. 8-10mph or more). Not very often is it calm when you want to fly , so learning to fly in high winds is a must.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 08:50 PM
Joined Nov 2006
74 Posts
right ya i been going from 5 to 20
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:06 AM
Joined Jan 2013
5 Posts
I am Fairly new to the RC world. I am stepping up from a co-axle blade heli and would like to buy a CopterX but I'm not sure which would be best for me. I really like the CopterX 450pro v4. Im not sure if i need to get one with a flybar for more control? How much difficult is the 450 pro v4 than one with a flybar? Can anyone help direct me in the right direction?

Thanks
Dtruitt2 is offline Find More Posts by Dtruitt2
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:17 AM
Joined Jan 2013
5 Posts
I am Fairly new to the RC world. I am stepping up from a co-axle blade heli and would like to buy a CopterX but I'm not sure which would be best for me. I really like the CopterX 450pro v4. Im not sure if i need to get one with a flybar for more control? How much difficult is the 450 pro v4 than one with a flybar? Can anyone help direct me in the right direction?

Thanks
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:38 AM
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,442 Posts
You will get a lot of help in the Electric Helicopter section in the Beginner Training Area. There are lots of guys that will guide you there. Take care.

Don

PS: Reposting the same thing over and over again does not help you any faster.
Keyrigger is offline Find More Posts by Keyrigger
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:08 PM
Joined Jan 2013
5 Posts
That was actually a mistake. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:20 PM
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,442 Posts
No problem.

Don
Keyrigger is offline Find More Posts by Keyrigger