Old Mar 07, 2011, 01:26 PM
Unregistered User
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
498 Posts
Discussion
How are spoilers normally setup?: on a switch or on a stick/slider

Hi,

I'm fairly new to model soaring and completely new to flying gliders with spoilers.
So how are spoilers set up normally: on a stick (i.e. can be opened in any position) or on a switch (i.e. only closed or fully open)?

This is my glider, an Art Hobby Thermik RES, that I built spoilers into:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1401815

I also noticed that the glider seems to pitch down using spoilers so I also wonder what's the approximate percentage of up elevator that others normally mix in, if any.

B.t.w., I just touched 1500ft today on my first thermal flight with it.
cmanley_nl is offline Find More Posts by cmanley_nl
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2011, 02:05 PM
Chandler, Az.
Joined Mar 2008
232 Posts
cmanly_nl:

I'm far from an expert, but I use either for spoilers, whichever is easier or more convenient. You will find that spoilers are a digital control so a switch works just fine. The pitching of the plane is more a function of the wing losing lift, I don't correct for it .

Congratullations on a good flight, ane many more in your future.

Bob
Sweet-ole-Bob is offline Find More Posts by Sweet-ole-Bob
Old Mar 07, 2011, 04:21 PM
Unrepentant Paragon addict
United States, OK, Moore
Joined Jan 2006
2,589 Posts
Most people I know, and myself included, put the spoiler control on the left stick, up & down, which in a power airplane would be the throttle. My personal preference is stick up for spoilers down, and vice-versa.

As for elevator compensation, what you need to do is experiment with several landings, and take note of how much elevator you add to keep the fuselage level. Then simply mix in this amount with your spoiler function. Remember, just a little bit of elevator deflection when the spoilers are only partly deployed, full deflection when spoilers are fully deployed. It's just about impossible to tell you exactly how much deflection is necessary without knowing what you are flying, but from my own experience with a standard fixed horizontal stab & elevator arrangement, usually about 1/16" - 1/8" (1.5-3 mm) is enough. A full-flying stab will be less.
LVsoaring is online now Find More Posts by LVsoaring
Old Mar 07, 2011, 06:48 PM
Tennessee
Joined Sep 2003
2,326 Posts
I was flying pattern contests long before i started flying sailplanes so I set up my sailplanes the same way as my pattern models. Right stick was roll and pitch while the left st ick was yaw and power. If flying RES sailplanes, the rudder is on the right stick while the left stick forward is go fast (spoilers closed or flaps up) and aft is slow down (spoilers open or flaps down). I also ease the spoilers in and out or the flaps up and down instead of slamming them from one limit to the other. Makes adjusting elevator compensation much easier to set up. Now I fly everything the same way whether RES floaters, F3B sailplane , scale, pattern, or pylon racers. Makes things much easier to trim and fly.
ChuckA is offline Find More Posts by ChuckA
Old Mar 07, 2011, 07:45 PM
Joined Jan 2008
4,436 Posts
I PREFER to use the left stick, fore-and-aft, for spoilers, and mix elevator based on flight test results.

However, many of my friends use switches, and the spoilers are on/off. They strike me as perfectly competent, and perfectly happy.

And then, I have to admit: when I deploy spoilers, I deploy all-or-nothing, using the left stick.

So, how stupid am I? Pretty much, I guess. Oh, well.

Yours, Greg
glidermang is offline Find More Posts by glidermang
Old Mar 07, 2011, 08:04 PM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,122 Posts
For general sport flying, you can use either. If you intend to contest, you will likely find a proportional control like the stick or a slider will better suit.

Up elevator compensation will vary on many, many other criteria. Start small and make small changes to avoid surprises.

tk
tkallev is online now Find More Posts by tkallev
Old Mar 07, 2011, 09:44 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmanley_nl View Post
Hi,

I'm fairly new to model soaring and completely new to flying gliders with spoilers.
So how are spoilers set up normally: on a stick (i.e. can be opened in any position) or on a switch (i.e. only closed or fully open)?

This is my glider, an Art Hobby Thermik RES, that I built spoilers into:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1401815

I also noticed that the glider seems to pitch down using spoilers so I also wonder what's the approximate percentage of up elevator that others normally mix in, if any.

B.t.w., I just touched 1500ft today on my first thermal flight with it.

Where you put the spoilers depends on your plane and your radio. Your plane has R/E and spoilers. No ailerons and no flaps. I presume it also does not have a motor. So we only have three control surfaces.
http://www.arthobby.com/index.php?pa...ry=32&item=280

R/E normally go on the right stick on a plane like this. That gives you pitch and roll on the right.

Everything esle depends on what radio you have and what option the radio offers.

If you have a 3, 4 or more channel standard radio with no mixing then you have to see what options you have, but I would put the spoilers on the stick. When you deploy the spoilers you reduce the lift of the wing which will naturally cause the nose to drop. You will manually add up elevator to compensate and hold the glider near level to prevent a dive.

If you have a computer radio with flap to elevator mixing then put the spoilers on the flap channel and use the flap mix to control them. Where that is on your radio and what options you have are unknown to me.

Mix in up elevator. I would start at 20% up elevator at full spoiler deployment and then adjust more or less according to need. This will vary by plane and pilot.

I adjust my mix so the plane has a slightly nose down glide with full spoilers deployed.
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Mar 07, 2011, 10:27 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,001 Posts
IMHO, landings work best if you start with the spoiler part way out and adjust as necessary. Left stick. Deployed when pulling back.
lincoln is online now Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 07, 2011, 11:01 PM
winds light to variable
Joined Apr 2009
989 Posts
As usual, there are many ways to skin a cat.

A friend with much experience [ex national team] recommended I set up an electric glider as follows:

spoiler to throttle stick [left stick in mode 2]; push away [up] to deploy; full deployment by mid stick [for full spoiler in a hurry just flick stick past half way like a big switch]; on RE glider put L and R spoilers on separate channels and mix into rudder so differential deployment can aid in turns.

throttle on three position switch; off; 2nd position: cruise [1/2 to 2/3 throttle]; 3rd position: take-off and climb [full throttle].

Works for me.
Kookaburra is offline Find More Posts by Kookaburra
Old Mar 08, 2011, 04:07 AM
Unregistered User
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
498 Posts
Thanks for all the tips. So there's quite some variation in the way people set it up.

@Kookaburra
That's interesting: using throttle on a switch. I'll consider that for the electric glider that I'm currently building.
Old Mar 08, 2011, 05:20 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,337 Posts
Like everything else in this hobby, everyone has their own way. But much of that has to do with what radio you use and the limitations it imposes. If you only have a choice of left stick or a switch, that is one thing. If you have dials and slliders, there are more options.

If you have a flap(spoiler) to elevator mix and it only works one way, then you are best to use that. If you can assign it to any input device then you have choices.

On my Futaba 9C Super I can put the spoilers on the left stick, the left or right slider, any of 3 dials, or on my choice of 2 or 3 way switches. But not eveyone has that choice.

For my pure gliders the spoiler goes on left stick tied to the flap/elevator mix. Fully closed is fully forward (full throttle position). Pull back to deploy.

For an electric glider where I was looking to land with a lot of precision, contest flying, I would have the spoiler on the left stick and move the throttle to something else. The one electric I had (sold it) with a spoiler, I had throttle on left stick and spoiler on a variable slider on the left side which was tied to the flap/elevator mix. But this is the only glider where the spoiler was not on the left stick. If I had kept it I would probably have moved it to the stick and put the throttle on a slider or 3 way switch.

You have yet to tell us what radio you are using.
Old Mar 08, 2011, 05:49 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,292 Posts
I use my spoiler/flaps stick differently than most....

Left stick down, throttle/flaps/spoilers are off.
Left stick up, things are engaged.

This way, I fly all my planes the same.
Kenny Sharp is online now Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Old Mar 08, 2011, 06:59 AM
Unregistered User
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
498 Posts
@aeajr
The radio I'm using is a Multiplex Evo Pro as mentioned in the link I posted right at the top.
Old Mar 08, 2011, 08:28 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,337 Posts
Thanks. I did not read the other thread, only this one.

Then I imagine you can put the spoilers anywhere you like. I would put them on the stick - full forward being closed spoilers.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 02:17 AM
Bone Breaker
Dallas , Texas, United States
Joined Oct 2002
825 Posts
all my gliders are powered. I would like to keep the throttle on the left stick.
I have a jr 9503 so I have many options but I would like some advice so I can set the up all the same way. I forget easly.
Lammergier is offline Find More Posts by Lammergier