Old Jul 31, 2012, 03:50 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
Sculptor

How did you make out with you test flight with the Eagle A3?

I also so on another thread that there is a Pro version of the A3. Which one do you have?

Vince
The Eagle A3 pro I did not want because it requires three tx and rx channels for the 3 'gain' wires to adjust the pots from the tx. The last thing I want is to have to keep 3 pots adjusted to the exact position on the tx and have 3 different set-ups for my 3 planes, no. the A3 manual gain only works for my intent, set em and forget em.

No I didn't fly it yet. I glide flew it, no power and found I had it set-up on CG 62mm and because mine is a V1 it is to be set-up on 72mm CG. Now it glides nice.

DJ
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
Old Jul 31, 2012, 04:46 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
The Eagle A3 pro I did not want because it requires three tx and rx channels for the 3 'gain' wires to adjust the pots from the tx. The last thing I want is to have to keep 3 pots adjusted to the exact position on the tx and have 3 different set-ups for my 3 planes, no. the A3 manual gain only works for my intent, set em and forget em.

No I didn't fly it yet. I glide flew it, no power and found I had it set-up on CG 62mm and because mine is a V1 it is to be set-up on 72mm CG. Now it glides nice.

DJ
+1. I still have no idea why that is that way. I have a V1 and a V2. The V2 flies best at 62mm and the V1 flies best at 72mm. If I move the CG to 60mm on the V2 it flies so nose heavy that it literally falls out of the sky on a 90 degree bank and it flies like a tank. The only difference I can see (and measure) between the two is the distance from the front (or back, if you wish) of the servos. And that is not enough to make any huge difference. So, for aerodynamic purposes, the fuselages and wings and empennages appear identical. Yet, the CG is so different. Even with that, on page #1, I left the recommendation at 60mm for all versions. Do you have a V2 also?
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Jul 31, 2012, 04:49 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon2504 View Post
my new Bixler build sneak peak!!!!!
You will be very lucky if that flies with that motor. Wow.
AJ
Old Jul 31, 2012, 05:38 PM
United Kingdom, England, Ripon
Joined Dec 2011
309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
You will be very lucky if that flies with that motor. Wow.
AJ
Using 3000mah 4S with 8"prop so Im hoping it will launch like a rocket but we will see lol!!!!!!!
Simon2504 is offline Find More Posts by Simon2504
Old Jul 31, 2012, 06:12 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon2504 View Post
Using 3000mah 4S with 8"prop so Im hoping it will launch like a rocket but we will see lol!!!!!!!
Make sure and take a video. I have GOT to see that. Even with an 8x8 and a 4S, the best it will do is barely fly. But, like you say, we shall see. I really, really hope it does better than that. I just ran the #'s on it and it just might fly. It will not be a rocket though.
AJ
Old Jul 31, 2012, 06:18 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
Joined Mar 2012
1,173 Posts
Quote:
+1. I still have no idea why that is that way. I have a V1 and a V2. The V2 flies best at 62mm and the V1 flies best at 72mm. If I move the CG to 60mm on the V2 it flies so nose heavy that it literally falls out of the sky on a 90 degree bank and it flies like a tank. The only difference I can see (and measure) between the two is the distance from the front (or back, if you wish) of the servos. And that is not enough to make any huge difference. So, for aerodynamic purposes, the fuselages and wings and empennages appear identical. Yet, the CG is so different. Even with that, on page #1, I left the recommendation at 60mm for all versions. Do you have a V2 also?
AJ
I had a V3 before I beat it into packing material and this is the V1 airframe I was sent, very different. The wings off the V3 will not fit the fuse on the V1, The V3 wings are 20mm while the V1 is 23mm. V1 elevator = 12mm, V3 elev = 12mm. Vertical stabilizer V1 = 19mm, V3 = 16mm.

If any of that means anything.

When I got my first plane a SS V3 I watched a Vid on set up, it was a V1, I didn't know there was a difference so I set the V3 up on 72mm CG as if it was a V1. So much to learn AJ. I really like the 'glide / trim' thing I learned here. Do it in tall grass 1' or more and the plane never gets hurt.

I learned from this glide flying that something was very wrong. By doing more reading I discovered last nite that the V1 is to be 72mm CG. That came from one of your documents I had saved.

Thank you for that,

DJ
Old Jul 31, 2012, 06:59 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
Joined Mar 2012
1,173 Posts
On this V1 airframe I got the rudder push rod warps like crazy and somewhere in pages 1,2, and 3. It says "brace the control rod" but thats all.

Please look at the photos and see if this will do. It takes 80% of the 'warp' out of it.

Thank you,
DJ

Name: 1.jpg
Views: 147
Size: 86.4 KB
Description: Name: 2.jpg
Views: 148
Size: 98.6 KB
Description:
Last edited by Sculptor; Jul 31, 2012 at 07:07 PM.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 08:22 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,422 Posts
Quote:
On this V1 airframe I got the rudder push rod warps like crazy and somewhere in pages 1,2, and 3. It says "brace the control rod" but thats all.

Please look at the photos and see if this will do. It takes 80% of the 'warp' out of it.

Thank you,
DJ

Attachment 5050994 Attachment 5050995
Sculptor,

Pushrod warping -- that's all covered in the initial pages of this thread.

Bill
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A123 2S 2500 mah wiring diagram
Old Jul 31, 2012, 08:40 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,601 Posts
Quote:

Thank you,
DJ

Attachment 5050994 Attachment 5050995
Adding that horn in the back will require a little more weight up front to balance it out but it shouldn't change the CG.

I am still trying to figure out how my V2 SS glided perfectly with a CG of 60mm and then became nose heavy after a couple of mods. Now the CG is at 70mm and she glides again.

The mods should not have changed where my CG was but something changed.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Jul 31, 2012, 08:42 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
Joined Mar 2012
1,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Sculptor,

Pushrod warping -- that's all covered in the initial pages of this thread.

Bill
Well sir, like I said thats where I found it.

Prof100, I watched a vid were AJ took your method for making flaps on an SS and gave you full credit for it. I was inspiring and he said "just do it, you know you want to" and Proff100 I want to do that. Did you publish your method? If so can you direct me to what you did and how you did it?

Sir it was truly impressive how that SS with flaps performed.

DJ
Old Jul 31, 2012, 08:49 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,793 Posts
Regarding push rods, I run new tubes to the about 2" from the horn , no problems
nakelp86 is offline Find More Posts by nakelp86
Old Jul 31, 2012, 08:53 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
Joined Mar 2012
1,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakelp86 View Post
Regarding push rods, I run new tubes to the about 2" from the horn , no problems
Thank you I had no Idea as to how I might do just that. Does it work for you?

DJ
Old Jul 31, 2012, 09:03 PM
United States, IL, Kankakee
Joined Jan 2011
29 Posts
Confused !!

Quote:
AJ
I have a V1 that I put together using many build tips on this thread. I have used 60mm CG as stated in manual and this thread. Lately I'm seeing a lot of reference to a CG of 70 or more, which I think on a V1 is behind the spar. Is this correct. Is a no power glide test a good way to determine where the actual CG should be.
Dog
bigdogg1 is offline Find More Posts by bigdogg1
Old Jul 31, 2012, 09:05 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,793 Posts
Yes, and very well
I pulled out original tubes cut them in two pieces spaced them out on the fuse and and tail enough to get the end of the tube closer to the horns.
On the rudder push rod you actually can glue the end of the tube leaving about 1" sticking toward the horn.
nakelp86 is offline Find More Posts by nakelp86