SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 12, 2010, 08:29 PM
Joined Feb 2010
358 Posts
Discussion
Sky501 5ch TX -battery life

I've a Sky501 transmitter. This is my first foray into RC. It uses 8 AA batteries and I use alkaline/alcaline batteries. How long should they last? I.e. how many hours?
The battery indicator lights are 2 greens and 1 red when new batteries. Then it drops to 1 green 1 red within an hour.
The instructions say you should stop flying soon with 1 green 1 red light.
Can some one tell me more?
Flatbus is offline Find More Posts by Flatbus
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2010, 10:52 PM
Pontiac/Auburn Hills, Michigan USA
Joined Mar 2009
246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatbus View Post
I've a Sky501 transmitter. This is my first foray into RC. It uses 8 AA batteries and I use alkaline/alcaline batteries. How long should they last? I.e. how many hours?
The battery indicator lights are 2 greens and 1 red when new batteries. Then it drops to 1 green 1 red within an hour.
The instructions say you should stop flying soon with 1 green 1 red light.
Can some one tell me more?
To answer you question directly; yes we have experienced about the same behavior.
The Sky501 is a 72MHz transmitter. 72MHz transmitters appear to draw more power than the later 2.4GHz radios. I think this is because of the way the RF Circuit works. I have been using rechargable batteries. The charge may not last quite as long as the alkaline batteries do, but after a couple of charges I save quite a bit of money.
Also, check out the alkaline batteries from Rite-Aid or Walmart. I get 12 or 18 packs very inexpensively and my tests over the last year show they are as reliable and last as long as the other name brands. This week I got 24 rite-aid alkalines for $8. Walmart has name brand RAYOVAC in both rechargables and alkaline at similar low prices.
Also, you are correct you should consider changing batteries after you you get the 1st green light going out.

Also, even though the Sky 501 Transmitter has a charging plug, I have not gotten enough information yet about the current and wall wart requirements to use that function, so I do not recommend using the charging function of the transmitter for rechargable AA batteries. I have talked to the factory and the director of Skyartec about a NI-CD or NI-MH battery pack for the transmitters, but have not had any news yet.

Moving forward we are using all 2.4 GHz radios in all of the products we distribute here in the USA. These Sky 502 and Sky 702 are showing exceptionally long battery life in these radios. I know this isn't much compensation for your experience.

Regards

Max
skyartec-usa is offline Find More Posts by skyartec-usa
Old Feb 14, 2010, 03:43 AM
Joined Feb 2010
358 Posts
Thanks for the info. Mine is 35Mhz model.
Do you know exactly till what total batt pack voltage is the minimum safe to operate for the transmitter?
Though it shows one green I still have been running it. So long that it showed 2 greens on intial power up. I do about four 5 min flights per session. The session ends with 1 green that comes on sometime during the session. So long as it shows 2 greens on initial power up, I use it. I found that I could do about 10+ sessions like this and the voltage stayed above 10 volts. Only when the 2 greens changed to 1 green within a minute of power up I stopped using those batteries
Old Feb 19, 2010, 06:58 PM
Joined Feb 2010
358 Posts
Retired the 501

FYI info. I have retired this tx. Not because of the high battery consumption but because of glitching/loss of signals caused by tx problems. This problem has occurred about 3 weeks after I started using the 501 tx. After several almost crashes and one crash due to loss of signal (the ESC/motor can clearly be heard giving a beep on short finals and after landing or crash landing) The LHS and I spent several hours trying to trouble shoot the cause and it has been pin pointed to the connection between the tx module and control box.

Changing the tx module/crystal did not fix the problem. It was still there and there seems to be a lack of consistent connectivity between the male pins and female receptacles. I am very dissappointed
Old Feb 20, 2010, 02:20 AM
Pontiac/Auburn Hills, Michigan USA
Joined Mar 2009
246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatbus View Post
FYI info. I have retired this tx. Not because of the high battery consumption but because of glitching/loss of signals caused by tx problems. This problem has occurred about 3 weeks after I started using the 501 tx. After several almost crashes and one crash due to loss of signal (the ESC/motor can clearly be heard giving a beep on short finals and after landing or crash landing) The LHS and I spent several hours trying to trouble shoot the cause and it has been pin pointed to the connection between the tx module and control box.

Changing the tx module/crystal did not fix the problem. It was still there and there seems to be a lack of consistent connectivity between the male pins and female receptacles. I am very dissappointed
I am sorry to hear of your issues. You never mentioned but I suspect you are not in North America?

Did you aquire this from the dealer or factory already configured for 35Mhz model?

Since you retired the Tx and you suspect a factory defect, maybe you can return to dealer or to the Skyartec factory for replacement? If you are in USA or Canada contact us privately for help with this.
(not that we don't help if not in North America, just thinking of the expenisve postage to get it here; just not worth the cost, when you could send to the factory or dealer directly)

I have used the Sky501 and Sky701 Transmitters extensively and never had those issues. However, we have gone completely over to 2.4 Ghz systems for all Skyartec Products we now distribute. These units don't have a working external RF Module.

Max

Max
skyartec-usa is offline Find More Posts by skyartec-usa
Last edited by skyartec-usa; Feb 20, 2010 at 02:28 AM.
Old Mar 07, 2010, 07:40 PM
Joined Feb 2010
358 Posts
Max, thanks for your assistance. Yes, I'm in Asia, Malaysia. The 35Mhz model tx/receiver was with the C182 set, therefore I assume factory configured.

This is the second tx, the first one after a few days was found not to centre the ailerons but with the stick in neutral position, occasionally it was found that the ailerons would drive to about 50% left turn (now I know where I kept crashing uncontrollably to the left). Trouble shooting found the cause to be the control/tx. It was replaced by the retailer.

The second tx replacement started giving problems after 2 weeks where the receiver was not getting signals and beeping even in flight 10-20 metres away (as stated earlier). The tx module was swapped and also the control box, and the receiver, everything was swapped finally. And we found the problem would occasionally persist.