HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 10, 2014, 09:40 AM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaGeno21 View Post
So it's safe charging the smaller 2200mah packs on that preset?
Yes.

A good description for using presets 1, 2, and 3 can be found in the "FAQ - Powerlab Quick Start Guide" under the section heading "Preset #3 for High Power Charging" here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1837319
Ohmic is offline Find More Posts by Ohmic
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2014, 05:52 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,175 Posts
Quote:
Using a charge setting with the 125hz frequency is not a problem on 3s 2200mah packs right? I don't quite know what size packs should be using the 62 and 31hz frequency... All I know is to charge a few of them on my paraboard at a 3c rate I need more than 10a which puts me into the higher power charge setting where you can go up to 40a and it won't let me use anything other than 125hz.

Thanks!
The issue is charge rate not pack capacity. The right DC-DC converter frequency for the correct current rate improves efficiency and accuracy. The DC-DC frequency is locked into the presets. Use them as follows:

10ma-2 amps: Small balanced and unbalanced presets
2 amps - 10 amps: Fast and Accurate presets (1 and 2)
10 amps - 40 amps: High Power Preset

Its ok to use a preset at a current below its optimal range. But its better to use the right preset for the desired current range.
Gregor99 is offline Find More Posts by Gregor99
Old Sep 10, 2014, 07:03 PM
United States, RI
Joined Jul 2014
223 Posts
So is it safe to be using the high power preset to do things like 8 amps?
PapaGeno21 is online now Find More Posts by PapaGeno21
Old Sep 10, 2014, 07:25 PM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,688 Posts
Quote:
So is it safe to be using the high power preset to do things like 8 amps?
Yes.
Ohmic is offline Find More Posts by Ohmic
Old Sep 13, 2014, 06:14 AM
United States, CT, Stamford
Joined Jan 2007
816 Posts
Hello all

Few quick questions, with the PL8, does the 50% storage charge (any type) perform a balanced charge?

If not, is this because this is how it works for all chargers?

If so, is this because it doesn't matter to have it be balanced for the storage?

Reason I ask is, have been flying LiPo's for quite a few years now, an as I live in the NE, I certainly have my winter down season. So for these I have always storage charged.

But it seems that every spring the packs are much more worn then for what I even see during the whole summer of abuse. Seems like nothing ages the packs more then sitting over the winter on at least the storage charge I put in.

Other thing that seems interesting to me is, always seems like every new pack I buy, boy are they right on 50%. But when ever I get 50% or what ever close out of a storage charge (which I do for during the week while I wait to fly on the weekends), when I go to check it with just even a week, it has lost maybe 2-5%.

Guess what I'm just wondering is, is there some right way to 50% a charge that I am not doing....or am able to do?
WBFAir is offline Find More Posts by WBFAir
Old Sep 13, 2014, 12:44 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,175 Posts
Storage charge is just a range and balance is not critical. As long as the packs are close to 3.8v per cell they are fine. The other factor for storage is temperature. Storing in warmer ambient temps isn't good for the packs.

Packs that have been in storage for a while will require between 2 and 5 cycles to reach the peak performance for their current condition. When bringing a pack out of storage, cycle a few times on the charger or in the model before evaluating.

In regards to your question, the storage preset does balance the packs during a charge cycle. Balancing starts at 3.5v per cell. The charger does not balance during a discharge to storage. But if you desire that behavior, it can be enabled on the balance tab, see "Bal. Discharge YES/NO". But in the bigger picture, balancing at storage is not critical. Because cell capacities vary, a pack that is balanced at storage will likely require more balancing as the packs reach 4.2v per cell.

The main reason I like to balance a pack prior to long term storage is easer detection of self discharge on one or more cells. If all cells were precisely at 3.8v (after resting) when they went into storage, then the rate of self discharge should roughly uniform. For example if I take pack out of storage and see all cells but 1 are at 3.8v and the one cell is at 3.5v then I know that cell has a higher rate of self discharge. Most likely that cell has micro short and the pack is on its way to retirement.

Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBFAir View Post
Hello all

Few quick questions, with the PL8, does the 50% storage charge (any type) perform a balanced charge?

If not, is this because this is how it works for all chargers?

If so, is this because it doesn't matter to have it be balanced for the storage?

Reason I ask is, have been flying LiPo's for quite a few years now, an as I live in the NE, I certainly have my winter down season. So for these I have always storage charged.

But it seems that every spring the packs are much more worn then for what I even see during the whole summer of abuse. Seems like nothing ages the packs more then sitting over the winter on at least the storage charge I put in.

Other thing that seems interesting to me is, always seems like every new pack I buy, boy are they right on 50%. But when ever I get 50% or what ever close out of a storage charge (which I do for during the week while I wait to fly on the weekends), when I go to check it with just even a week, it has lost maybe 2-5%.

Guess what I'm just wondering is, is there some right way to 50% a charge that I am not doing....or am able to do?
Gregor99 is offline Find More Posts by Gregor99