SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 31, 2013, 11:10 PM
Mt Evelyn, Melbourne, OZ
Joined Dec 2008
629 Posts
A pair of Elfin 1.8's.

Original CL version (I have the FF version in my Zoot Suit) and miniature by VA 0.36cc..

The little VA was a real struggle, but with a happy ending.

So tight it would not flick over, so needed some careful motoring on a 1/2a starter.
Then the contra would not move, some careful work on a mandrel in a pedestal drill against some 1200 wet and dry with lots of oil, now that's fixed.
Then the NVA wouldn't close enough - now resoldered further in.

Now after about 15 minutes running, it finally starts reasonably well with a few flicks, compression can be adjusted and I can lean it out!

So far about 12,500 on an APC 5.5x2.5, but still improving.

What a struggle these little beasties can be!
Much more trouble than the full size originals.

Now - what to build?
I think perhaps a 30" version of Zoot Suit.
Warren B is online now Find More Posts by Warren B
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 01, 2013, 10:11 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,283 Posts
Hi Guys... Well im hooked about diesel engines, i just had ordered a mp-jet 040, to join my PAW 55, i need to think about a new plane..... lets wait for arrive.
colibriguitars is offline Find More Posts by colibriguitars
Old Nov 03, 2013, 11:40 PM
Joined Nov 2013
108 Posts
Awesome thread

Hi,

Just joined this forum - never knew it existed. Have been doing some research into PAW 19D as I just purchased one on TradeMe (NZ) and it was delivered here in Sydney this morning. Resisted pulling it apart as it seems never to have been - broken NVA which I had a spare bought from David Owen which I used. Cleaned the outside and pulled the backplate off using my lathe to hold - so no damage - as the prop boss on the crankshaft to the crankcase play seemed excessive - but no evidence of the crankpin contacting the backplate so all seemed ok.

Did note however that the crankshaft was circular at the crankpin end, ie no balancing at all for the piston and rod - and that I thought would spell lots of vibration, and sure enough on its test run it did vibrate a lot. Has anyone ever seen a PAW 19 like this before ? I am tempted to machine it - as I see photos of other PAW 19D crankshafts, but a bit torn as I don't really want to alter a factory build.

In the last 4 months have been bitten by the diesel bug and have built 5 motors.from the Model Engine News website.

First was a BollAero - next an Owen Mate - then a Mills 1.3 - then a modified to my specs 2.5cc Owen Mate using a cast crankshaft I had done locally - then an engine of my own design I call the Holly sideport.

All run nicely - although I will have to revisit the Owen Mate piston to bore fit as not 100% happy with it - I did this with the BollAero and it runs beautiful now. Piston to bore fit I aim at 1/10th of a thou accuracy with a pinch fit at tdc.

Here's a photo of my work ... you can see the pattern for the casting behind. Sorry about the PAW box - have a modest collections of engines and this is a box for the 1.5 PAW.

Great thread - and some great work been done here by you guys ..

Ed

from L to R BollAero - Mills 1.3 - Holly modified Owen Mate - Owen Mate - Holly Sideport.
edholly is offline Find More Posts by edholly
Old Nov 04, 2013, 12:03 AM
Hervey Bay, Queensland, Australia
Joined Mar 2008
534 Posts
Beautiful engines Ed.

Is the 2.5 based on the "Mate" ball raced? Casting looks great.
fiery is online now Find More Posts by fiery
Old Nov 04, 2013, 12:11 AM
Joined Mar 2008
534 Posts
ENYA SS.30 BB Diesel

The latest from the ENYA stable of 2-stroke compression ignition engines.
Old Nov 04, 2013, 03:42 AM
Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
Joined Sep 2003
509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edholly View Post
Hi,

Just joined this forum - never knew it existed. Have been doing some research into PAW 19D as I just purchased one on TradeMe (NZ) and it was delivered here in Sydney this morning. Resisted pulling it apart as it seems never to have been - broken NVA which I had a spare bought from David Owen which I used. Cleaned the outside and pulled the backplate off using my lathe to hold - so no damage - as the prop boss on the crankshaft to the crankcase play seemed excessive - but no evidence of the crankpin contacting the backplate so all seemed ok.

Did note however that the crankshaft was circular at the crankpin end, ie no balancing at all for the piston and rod - and that I thought would spell lots of vibration, and sure enough on its test run it did vibrate a lot. Has anyone ever seen a PAW 19 like this before ? I am tempted to machine it - as I see photos of other PAW 19D crankshafts, but a bit torn as I don't really want to alter a factory build.

In the last 4 months have been bitten by the diesel bug and have built 5 motors.from the Model Engine News website.

First was a BollAero - next an Owen Mate - then a Mills 1.3 - then a modified to my specs 2.5cc Owen Mate using a cast crankshaft I had done locally - then an engine of my own design I call the Holly sideport.

All run nicely - although I will have to revisit the Owen Mate piston to bore fit as not 100% happy with it - I did this with the BollAero and it runs beautiful now. Piston to bore fit I aim at 1/10th of a thou accuracy with a pinch fit at tdc.

Here's a photo of my work ... you can see the pattern for the casting behind. Sorry about the PAW box - have a modest collections of engines and this is a box for the 1.5 PAW.

Great thread - and some great work been done here by you guys ..

Ed

from L to R BollAero - Mills 1.3 - Holly modified Owen Mate - Owen Mate - Holly Sideport.
Beautiful work there mate
mchandrayan is offline Find More Posts by mchandrayan
Old Nov 04, 2013, 04:55 AM
Joined Jan 2006
3 Posts
Dc merlin crankshaft

Hi from Australia,
Does anyone have a spare crankshaft for the above engine (0.75 cc) that they would be willing to sell please ? I bought the engine off ebay and managed to break it on the first run attempt :-(
Regards Craig.
TRANS AIR is offline Find More Posts by TRANS AIR
Old Nov 04, 2013, 07:59 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,532 Posts
Thanks for sharing the pictures Ed, and welcome to the thread. You have made really beautiful looking diesels. You're a very talented individual! If they run half as well as they look, you have real winners.
John
JohnAV8R is online now Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old Nov 04, 2013, 08:06 PM
I'd rather be flying.....
United States, IA, Story City
Joined Oct 2013
371 Posts
Very nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchandrayan View Post
Beautiful work there mate
I second that !!

Best Regards,

Jeff
JeffMac is offline Find More Posts by JeffMac
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 04, 2013, 10:44 PM
Joined Feb 2013
2,699 Posts
Starting price only 396 Euro's (on eBay Germany)
Vintage 1950's Russian water-cooled diesel model engine B-51 (10 cm)
Specifications:
Bore: 20 mm
Stroke: 30 mm
Displacement: 9,42 cc
Power approximately: 0,22 kW
Maximum speed: 5,800 RPM
Weight: 850 g
Twin Stack is online now Find More Posts by Twin Stack
Old Nov 05, 2013, 12:16 AM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2006
5,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin Stack View Post
Starting price only 396 Euro's (on eBay Germany)
Vintage 1950's Russian water-cooled diesel model engine B-51 (10 cm)
Specifications:
Bore: 20 mm
Stroke: 30 mm
Displacement: 9,42 cc
Power approximately: 0,22 kW
Maximum speed: 5,800 RPM
Weight: 850 g
Rapmoz has one just like this(its 12cc)
diesel model engine 12cc, big ! vintage not nitro RC (0 min 45 sec)
coriolan is offline Find More Posts by coriolan
Old Nov 05, 2013, 12:44 AM
Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
Joined Sep 2003
509 Posts
Loved the way that diesel spewed smoke, just like an agricultural/or a boat engine :-)
mchandrayan is offline Find More Posts by mchandrayan
Old Nov 06, 2013, 03:48 PM
Joined Feb 2013
2,699 Posts
"In the late 1980s Mr. Fricke (FMO engines), the well known German manufacturer of opposed twin Diesel and Glow engines, made a handful of 3-cylinder opposed Diesel engines. They had a one piece crankshaft and split big ends of the conrods. The engines are equipped with exhaust collectors and RC carburetors and can be mounted by a rear mounting ring. The example I offer has 13.6cc displacement, is new, never run, never mounted and comes with copies of FMO reviews in Model Engine World and the German modelling magazine FMT." (on eBay Germany)
Twin Stack is online now Find More Posts by Twin Stack
Old Nov 06, 2013, 09:03 PM
Joined Mar 2008
534 Posts
Ritm 2.5

Early four port version
Old Nov 07, 2013, 06:03 PM
I'd rather be flying.....
United States, IA, Story City
Joined Oct 2013
371 Posts
Rythym ? Russian diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery View Post
Early four port version
Hi fiery -

I have a N.I.B. example that must have been made on a Monday because they forgot to put the compression in the box too ! Sometime I may see about getting it re-fitted...

It still makes a nice piece in my collection though....

Best Regards,

Jeff
JeffMac is offline Find More Posts by JeffMac
RCG Plus Member