SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 25, 2009, 02:37 PM
Joined Apr 2009
4 Posts
Help!
First time buyer, HL Tiger or Panzer III?

Ahoy all,

I have desided to plow face first into the miniture world of RC tanks. After much ebaying / googling i have desided on getting either a Heng Long Tiger or Panzer III. But i am unable to deside which.
Both will come with metal tracks and gear box and in sound and smoke versions. I prefer the look of the Tiger (much more tankish IMO) but i've read that there are a few issues with it (mainly earlier versions and i dont know what version the one for sale is), where as the Panzer III is a much newer model.

Is choosing the Tiger likely to come back and bite me later?
Also can someone please tell me the battery life of these things (stock battery) as 1/2 the sites i look at say 60mins and the others say 14-16mins...

Any advice or help would be great!
All the best
Magic_Ebuyer
magic_Ebuyer is offline Find More Posts by magic_Ebuyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2009, 04:04 PM
UK
Joined Oct 2008
107 Posts
well i think the panzer 3 will be a better tank to get with as it does'nt really have any flaws, its a good reliable fun tank to have, the tiger is too but as from my experience they can get annoying (tracks coming off wheels braking ect). so i would think its alot easier to get a panzer 3 because it wont give you a stress a tiger can lol
and the stock battery does last around an hour, but yu can get different batterys with ofcourse a longer life span
michelekingtig is offline Find More Posts by michelekingtig
Old Apr 25, 2009, 04:11 PM
Joined Apr 2009
4 Posts
Thanks for your answer, it was very helpful and im now planning on buying the panzer. But just before i place my order, could you tell me if it has the same range of upgradable parts as the Tiger (which seems to have 100s, both offical and custom made) and how much of it is actually metal? (i really dont like the idea of the tank looking really realistic but having no weight to it). Also are there many versions of the panzer? (like there are with the Tiger)

Thanks again
Magic_Ebuyer
Old Apr 25, 2009, 04:16 PM
UK
Joined Oct 2008
107 Posts
hmm well i think the tiger does have more upgradable parts as its been around for longer and that its a bigger tank ofcourse, but their are still lots of parts to get to upgrade the panzer, well the barell of the tank is metal (not like the tigers), with as you say metal tracks and gearboxes dont worry about the weight lol with that it will be pretty heavy (Y), well the versions of the panzer 3 ive seen are the original (type/ausf L) which has the medium barell (which is known to be one of the best airsoft guns), but also theirs another type which i cant really remember but it has a very short barell
Old Apr 25, 2009, 04:22 PM
Joined Apr 2009
4 Posts
I see, these are the two tanks im looking at http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=220387109084 and http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=320361545070 (assuming this forum lets me add web addresses). Everything ive read says go for the panzer, its newer, faster. easier to control and just better..... but it looks like a tank that dodges things and moves around things.....where as the tiger looks like it would just plow into them at tops speed and laugh. Also panzer tracks are too small.
Are you able to tell anything from the rather limited info provided from those links? Is the tiger an old version? If so, panzer all the way....otherwise, flip a coin time!

Thanks so much again
Magic_Ebuyer
Old Apr 25, 2009, 05:50 PM
UK
Joined Oct 2008
107 Posts
yes they work and they look like good deals
well the panzer 3 was more of a scout later in the war in many panzer divisions but at the start it was a battle front tank! the tiger was a heavy tank designed to basically as yu said to plow into anything lol
yu can buy winter tracks for the panzer 3 which makes them twice as wide! the tiger is good off road but because of its flaws the panzer 3 is better because it can go offroad and not have any problems unlike the tiger. and the tiger is an early prodcution, easily converted to a late or mid :P
and not prpblem just glad to be able to help out
Old Apr 25, 2009, 06:06 PM
Joined Apr 2009
4 Posts
You make a very good case. And i have desided to take your advice. I shall buy the panzer, i can always get a tiger later on (or build something that looks nothing like it). I made a mistake like this before, buying a 6ch rc helicopter instead of a 4ch (my first ever rc helicopter). I dont really want to own another exspencive toy im scared to death of using for fear of damaging it.

Thank you so much, couldnt have got here without you.
I shall post again when the tank arrives to let you know if it was love at first sight ;P

Magic_Ebuyer
Old Apr 25, 2009, 06:17 PM
UK
Joined Oct 2008
107 Posts
good to hear it
sadly have no knowledge of helicopters but yeah does sound like a mistake not to make again.
its no problem mate lol okays hope it is mate
Old Apr 25, 2009, 11:35 PM
Joined Feb 2009
102 Posts
Hello Magic and Michele,

I just received my first tank(m26 Pershing/Snow Leopard) and I love it. I got it from Phil from Tankwars.. He put in a DBCRC2 chip and I am using it with my 14MZ heli radio(yes, I fly heli's but will get to that in a minute) and it works great.

I have it set on an airplane setting with the 4 channel setup, but my throttle and steering are on the left stick. Which is sort of different because it needs to be at neutral to sit still. This is really not a big deal as I am used to flying heli's and mid stick is 0 degrees and alot of things are done there..

But I also contemplated a Panzer, but he did not have them on his site. The Panzer along with the Sherman are my two favorites.

Anyhow, the Panzer from what I have read as Michele stated is a good tank. I read something about the need to convert to metal gears and treads on the German tank models, but thats about it and since you have it covered, your good!

And I have yet to try the battery that comes with the tank. I have 2 3Kmah Nimh that I used in my heli starter previously, so I am putting them to use in the tank. One hour is not a big deal at all from what I have observed with my batteries.. I am getting nice long durations of runs..

Now on to the heli(sorry to get off topic, but that is my true passion with r/c besides airplanes recently), get yourself a sim like Realflight or even FSOne. Both come with controllers that connect via USB and you can teach yourself many things as far as "training your brain". Building skils: were all constantly learning, so tap into a few clubs in your area if you can find a hobby shop. They always have tons of listings.. R/C heli's because of what they can do, is one of the most popular phases of r/c right now. As you know, there is always something to learn with them.. But thats enough of my hijack.. LOL

Which ever tank you get, they are nice indeed and I am sure I will be purchasing another as soon as I get another helicopter(purchased yesterday) and airplane(GP Matt Chapman) built, setup and stocked on a few spare parts..

But the tanks are awesome!!!! Either way, you will not be dissapointed...
HeliVidD is offline Find More Posts by HeliVidD