SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 11, 2004, 09:19 PM
USA, OK, Warr Acres
Joined Feb 2004
569 Posts
All Coro L-19

Hi, I'm in the final throes of building my first SPAD. It's an L-19 that I'm building from plans I enlarged from the free pull-out in RC FLYER mag.
It may be a bit ambitious, but it just seemed natural to me once I got a sheet of the stuff! I was going to build a debonair, but I just had to have this one first. It may come in a little heavy at 6+ lbs., but this is a new mediun for me. Power is an ASP 52fs, swinging a master airscrew 11x7.5. Wing span is 72" with 9-1/2" root chord, and 6-1/2" tip chord for 576 squares. My "gazinta" tells me that's about 24oz/square foot, so not too bad maybe.
It won't do the crazy stuff the "ugly" SPADs do, but that's not my thing anyway, I just like the way you can have a scale bird for only a few bucks. I also made the cowl using a technique I saw in one of the mags using panty hose and epoxy over a foam plug, WORKS GREAT! I'm using up a lot of old stuff in the shop in the spirit of SPAD, I am setting up the flaps with an old set of aileron torque rods so I only have to use one servo ( 2 for the ailerons), and scrap plywood left overs for what little wood goes in (firewall, landing gear and wing dowels).
All I have to do now is finish up with the radio installation and say my pre-flight prayers, should know if my labor was in vain by next week-end.
Jim
mosquitowings is offline Find More Posts by mosquitowings
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 12, 2004, 05:11 AM
Woodsy
Drouin, Australia
Joined Sep 2003
2,117 Posts
Sounds good, let us know how it flies
woodsy is offline Find More Posts by woodsy
Old Apr 13, 2004, 08:04 AM
Iron Mountain,MI
Joined May 2002
2,272 Posts
Sounds nice but need Pictures
uncled is offline Find More Posts by uncled
Old Apr 14, 2004, 09:46 PM
USA, OK, Warr Acres
Joined Feb 2004
569 Posts
I will get some pics in the next few days, but I'm still having trouble making them small enough to post. I'm far enough along that I ran the motor tonite, found a prob with the throttle linkage that I'll have to fix.
My wifem says I should fly it before investing in a paint job so if I can get pics to post they'll be "raw".

Jim
Old Apr 21, 2004, 05:52 PM
USA, OK, Warr Acres
Joined Feb 2004
569 Posts
well, here's my new baby, I didn't get to fly it tonite 'cause we had a tornado Well there's always tomorrow!
Old Apr 23, 2004, 11:03 PM
Just a Great Guy!
Humble, Texas
Joined Jan 2004
117 Posts
Have an opportunity to fly her yet? Really curious about flight characteristics.

JimRoss
JimRoss is offline Find More Posts by JimRoss
Old Apr 24, 2004, 11:37 PM
USA, OK, Warr Acres
Joined Feb 2004
569 Posts
Hi Jim, If the weather cooperates tomorrow will be the first of hopefully many jaunty trips in the little bird! I went flying today but didn't take her 'cause of the wind, but I did take a maiden with my mutant debonair. It has the wing left over from my kadet mk2 that got dive bombed a couple weeks ago. I had to raise the wing mounting 1-1/2" with some leftover drain pipe segments because the aileron stuff is on the bottom of the wing. Seemed to fly ok, a lot different than the kadet though, it rolls like a snake on fire! I was suprised to see it blow around in the wind because I figured the smaller fuse would not notice the breeze as much, maybe it's just the different moments, I don't know The inverted flight is a little better than the kadet, but will still only just hold what do you expect with a flat bottomed wing huh?
From your tiger string.....it seems like there is always at least one guy that doesn't feel as though he can fit in without "more attention" so just let him go and be glad that it's not you that people go away feeling wierd about!
I'll post about the L-19 one way or the other soon, wish me luck
Jim
Old Apr 25, 2004, 12:18 PM
Just a Great Guy!
Humble, Texas
Joined Jan 2004
117 Posts
Luck

I do wish you luck with the bird. Sounds kind of interesting. Maybe you can call it the Patchwork Spad.
You know, other than the incident with the plans, this is a really nice guy. Just doesn't seem to want to share his plans. Oh well, his loss, cause I share everything I have to anyone who needs it. I would have given back tenfold what he gave me.

JimRoss
JimRoss is offline Find More Posts by JimRoss
Old Apr 25, 2004, 10:50 PM
USA, OK, Warr Acres
Joined Feb 2004
569 Posts
It Flies!

I finally got to the field with the L-19 today and man, all I can say is ! That little bird dog really flies great, I am totally amazed, I really thought it was going to end up as an exercize in construction technique only, but I am now convinced.
Check this out, even my WIFE said it was cool, at my age that sort of thing could cause health problems .
This is my first plane with flaps, and it really doesn't need them, but it is cool to see a plane gain altitude at idle. In fact, this bird is not really willing to come down unless you take it's motor away from it, and even then it pouts about coming down. I never would have believed it was going to fly well, much less this good. I believe it would fly with a .30 2 stroke 'cause the .52fs that I've got in it really only needs to go above idle to take off and after that it's simply not worth using the fuel to keep it opened up. With a 10oz. tank, I figure I could fly for 40+ minutes if I wanted.
Anyway, I guess you can tell that I'm happy with the results of this project. A few adjustments to get it to come back down easier and maybe drop back to a 2oz. tank , no really the only thing I do plan to do is mount a video cam, and a way to drop G.I. Joe with his parachute and I believe I'll have the best plane I've ever owned!

Jim
Old May 03, 2004, 11:18 PM
hardhats required
ks, usa
Joined Feb 2004
438 Posts
Nice job!! Can you give us the final details when you get them? I have the plans too for this plane. I may have to try one now. I too live in the windy midwest and need something that will handle the kansas breeze.

What kind of winds were you flying in?

Looks great!

See ya,
Rod
rchotrod is offline Find More Posts by rchotrod
Old May 05, 2004, 07:18 AM
USA, OK, Warr Acres
Joined Feb 2004
569 Posts
Hey Rod, after some research, I think it needs a little bit of positive incedence in the stab, this would probably make it settle a little easier. That and/or a little down thrust, I haven't tried either yet. I followed the plans right thru as far as placement of the formers and made up the sides as per the plans too, exept one piece including the cabin area 'cause of no limiting width on material. All 4mm coro. I did add doublers at the top of the cabin about three inches tall just to make me feel good, and I went with coro on the windows so I could put the wing dowels there. I split the backside of the coro wherever there was a bend in the top and bottom panels so I could get a decent curve, had to cut notches on both ends of the cabin in the bottom panel to get a one piece panel to work there. I used doubled coro to mount the servo tray to the rear cabin bay and ended up putting the throttle servo in the front bay, and the rx and battery on a "bunk" above it to get balance. I used two servos for aileron and one for flaps by joining a set of aileron torque rods in the middle with solder. I didn't put the leading edge taper in the wing, just the trailing edge, but it doesn't show up at all. Also, the wing control surfaces are in addition to the wing outline, i.e., planform plus 2" extra chord for surfaces.
I used a .52fs for power, so had to move the firewall back to make the spinner fit wher it should, if you use a 2 stroke you may not have to, either way it's no big deal. I used a two spar wing with the spar locations the same as a Deb back from the LE, and tapered the last 6" on the bottom up to 3/4" just because it looked better with the short tip chord.
I had to go with over size wheels to get balance, but it doesn't bother the plane weight wise at all, and the only wood I used was for landing gear mounts and firewall, well wing dowels too
My bird is 400% of the pull out plan, and flies great in 15-20 mph wind and with flaps down will fly backwards the only thing to watch for is control flutter at speed, but I only noticed it after a hot dive, not scale flight!
Rod, get a sheet of coro, about 3 tubes of goop, and go for it! You'll love it

Jim
Old May 27, 2004, 07:18 PM
hardhats required
ks, usa
Joined Feb 2004
438 Posts
Thanks for the info. After several months, I finally had a day with low wind so I could fly my gws moth. Had a blast but as always the wind started to pick up and I had to bring it in. Sounds like a good winter project. I am wrapped up in this moth and my dirt oval cars right now.

See ya,
Rod
rchotrod is offline Find More Posts by rchotrod
Old Jun 16, 2004, 07:22 PM
Flies like an...
Joined May 2004
108 Posts
Wow, I really like that bird dog. I just commented on it in another thread brfore I saw this one, but I may as well repeat it here... Great plane!
Vernon is offline Find More Posts by Vernon
Old Jun 27, 2004, 06:37 PM
Joined Jun 2004
1 Posts
Do you have a set of plans, or a link to them?
Looks like a great little plane for sure!

Koopster
koopster is offline Find More Posts by koopster
Old Mar 22, 2015, 02:30 PM
Joined Mar 2014
47 Posts
Mosquitowings. I know this is an old thread, but I hope you can reply. I just came across it and I would like to try it. I haven't built a corro plan yet just a lot of foamies (a lot). Await your reply.
Joe Valentin is online now Find More Posts by Joe Valentin