HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 27, 2005, 10:33 AM
The effect is sadly temporary
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Joined Oct 2001
1,675 Posts
The FoamFly Frog (Part 3)

Wow,

It's hard to believe that when I made the first Frog it would become so popular. Let's keep talking about it.

If you want to see what came before, here's The Frog thread part 2:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196582

Enjoy,
-Dan
Hippo is offline Find More Posts by Hippo
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 27, 2005, 11:04 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Joined Jul 2002
24,060 Posts
The ULTIMATE TRAINER... !!!!!!! Have see people fly a FROG , when they could fly NOTHING else ....Serious !!!!
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Old Mar 27, 2005, 11:42 AM
Spring time, planes bloom
near UNC Charlotte, NC
Joined May 2003
1,787 Posts
Hey Dan, I've heard you have a good tape to make Bluecor folded wings. Do you have some?
ecologito is offline Find More Posts by ecologito
Old Mar 27, 2005, 04:51 PM
San Diego/Las Vegas
Joined Sep 2004
1,311 Posts
Upside down Frog

Here's what happened on the water maiden of my Frog this morning. This is a pic of it upside down in the middle of the small lake.

Always, always remember to check the control surfaces first. It turns out the elevator was reversed! Good thing I brought some fishing line and a stick.

I learned that the snow skis don't work well on water and are too small to lift the wing. The electronics still worked after retreiving the plane and I did manage to get some flights in despite the difficulty of getting the skis to float. I'll be redesigning those floats to be much bigger in the meantime.

A few hours later the radio failed. Now it works again after a few more hours to dry. Was a lot of fun, just the same.

-Vince
vpatron is offline Find More Posts by vpatron
Old Mar 27, 2005, 07:18 PM
Lake Macquarie, Aust.
Joined Dec 2002
13,761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
The ULTIMATE TRAINER... !!!!!!! Have see people fly a FROG , when they could fly NOTHING else ....Serious !!!!
100% agree! My brother in law is someone who can crash a plane just by looking at it, but he had heaps of succesfull flights on my frogs.

I came to RC groups a few years back after I bought one of those stupid 2 channel things for my son and myself to learn with. Waste of time. I bought dans plans and we were away. I could have built 3 complete frogs with the money I blew on that junkmaster.

My son and I have a few years of flying under our belts now, and we still have the urge to keep a frog in the hangar for some fun. I'm thinking of making 2 so we can have some syncronised frog flying fun!

I have built about 4 frogs now, all with different setups and even a 25 mm thick EPP bodied, version with 350C and 8 kan 1050s, and camera. We don't talk about the AUW weight with this one , but the design is perfect for AP use. I gotta get some Li-Pos The weight 23 oz! did help with an experiment I did trying to discover the wind limits! I have video of me "flying" it in about 25 knots one day!

Vpatron: Was it you who is using one of those DIY outrunner motors? what is your favoured setup? What windings, prop, current draw, thrust etc, have you been happy with?

I would like to buy one of these motors for the new frog/s and don't know jack about winding my own motors

Cheers
Paul
gouch is offline Find More Posts by gouch
Old Mar 27, 2005, 07:25 PM
Xenobiotic Liaison
Tempe, AZ
Joined Jan 2005
684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouch
I would like to buy one of these motors for the new frog/s and don't know jack about winding my own motors
You can buy one premade for about $35. However, they have a nice PDF file on the website with FULL instructions (you'd be hard pressed to mess up with them) on how to build them.
geoffbeneze is offline Find More Posts by geoffbeneze
Old Mar 27, 2005, 08:01 PM
San Diego/Las Vegas
Joined Sep 2004
1,311 Posts
Yes, I fly delta wings but I keep going back to the Frog for easy, relaxing flying.

Paul, Yes, that's me! Like Geoff said, you can get a nice PDF of instructions on the www.gobrushless.com website.

My favorite setup is 21-turns, 2-cell 1250 mAh lipo, GWS EP-8040 prop and Castle PHX-10 ESC. Amp draw is about 1.4 Amps at 1/2 throttle static, and about 4 Amps WOT. This gives you about 45 degree climbs and 1 hour of cruising around.

21 turns is hard to get on there with the 26-gauge wire. You have to make neat layers. A 17-turn with a 7035 prop also works very well and has slightly lower amp draw (1.3 Amps @ 1/2, 3.7 Amps @ WOT).

The kit with bushing bearing is $8.99 and the ball bearing kit is $11.99. The fancier ball bearing is not needed but i use it just the same.

Buy the tool that sets the magnet spacing. It's worth it. Also, glue them sticking out of the can about 1 mm, otherwise the can sits too close and rubs the windings.

I've had a hard time with magnets coming off in a really hard crash. I score up one surface with a grinding bit on a Dremel before using medium CA. Seems to work best.

Attached is photo of a simple mount for it.

Have fun!

-Vince
Old Mar 28, 2005, 06:03 AM
Lake Macquarie, Aust.
Joined Dec 2002
13,761 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. I like buying from this guy (cheap and local to me in AUS), and he has these motors for sale, what do you think?

http://shop.eflypower.com/product_in...roducts_id=160

These are a DD style, and he also has one that is used with a gearbox.

Here is a snippet of the specs for the DD version:

APEX mini 300 Direct drive Type

KIT included:
Insulated Stator
25.5 mm Stock Can with magnets already mounted
25.5 mm Stock Bearing Sleeve Holder
3mm Stock Shaft
0.3mm High temperature Magnet Wire
Two Ball Bearings
2.5mm Gold Bullet Plugs

Specification:
Magnet : Thickness:1.5mm, Width:5.54mm, Length:6mm
Stator : Diam:20mm, Thickness:4.5mm
Shaft : Length:31mm , Diam:2.3mm
Stock Can: Diam:25.5mm, Height:9mm
Stock Bearing Sleeve Holder: Diam:25.5mm, Height:8mm

Optional (not included):
HOLDTITE R62 Anaerobics Glue 2ml
MP JET 3mm Alloy Adapter
APEX mini 300 motor mount
Last edited by gouch; Mar 28, 2005 at 06:12 AM.
Old Mar 28, 2005, 07:08 AM
Iowa
Joined Oct 2001
595 Posts
28 AUS dollars equals about 21.50 US. doesn't sound bad.
ronnath is offline Find More Posts by ronnath
Old Mar 28, 2005, 10:21 AM
San Diego/Las Vegas
Joined Sep 2004
1,311 Posts
Hi Paul, I agree, sounds like a good price. Of course most of the work is in hand winding these and soldering to a connector!

Wind it for lower Kv so you get lower RPMs. You need to keep the RPMs low to match the Frog slow flight, but just use a prop big enough the for thrust required. This will give you the best efficiency. The windings they show on the chart is a bit low; it's way, way more thrust than you need. You might need finer wire.

You might want to get an assortment of props to try out. I get 1.4 Amps at 1/2 throttle and 4 Amps or less at wide open throttle. That's way more than plenty of power for the Frog. Their chart of 7 Amps for the smallest prop is way, way more power than you need.

-Vince
Old Mar 29, 2005, 07:33 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Joined Jul 2002
24,060 Posts
The CD motors and the FROG seem to be the perfect combination ... The new "Milennium FROG "....
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Old Mar 29, 2005, 12:29 PM
Frequent Flyer
Kalamazoo, MI USA
Joined Aug 2003
2,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
The CD motors and the FROG seem to be the perfect combination ... The new "Milennium FROG "....
So true. I flew my Frog with its new CD motor this morning. Quiet and smooth. My main motivation in switching to a CD motor is the longevity. I went through an IPS in short order last summer, and this summer the Frog will see even more air time.

Brian
wattsup_kz is offline Find More Posts by wattsup_kz
Old Mar 29, 2005, 01:22 PM
We'll all float on OK
Casselberry, Florida
Joined Dec 2002
1,506 Posts
Hi Dan! I hope you will be bringing some kits to SEFF.
Tom Korn is offline Find More Posts by Tom Korn
Old Mar 29, 2005, 08:39 PM
Lake Macquarie, Aust.
Joined Dec 2002
13,761 Posts
Ok then it sounds like a go with the motor then. He also has some IPS direct replacement motors as well, but at $50 Aus,(plus gbox) they ain't cheap!
I have an AXI 2808-24 for a 3d thing I made, and one thing I like about the lack of gearbox, is the lack of noise!

I have one 2S 1200 pack, and 2 packs of 2S700 (etec's) so I would like to use these.

Cheers
Paul
Old Mar 29, 2005, 10:29 PM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
USA, NC, Gastonia
Joined Dec 2001
8,823 Posts
(Answering For Hippo)

Hey Tom .. We are in full production for the Toledo show then we will be gearing up for SEFF with the Frog and all of our other kits .. We will be introducing a few new kits at Toledo and will also have those at SEFF .. Look for us there ..
Vyceroy is offline Find More Posts by Vyceroy