HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 11, 2014, 05:23 PM
P. Seitz
United States, IA, Mechanicsville
Joined Jan 2006
545 Posts
Build Log
T-33 indoor Micro

As I took the whole day off from work to get My yearly physical at the VA. I thought it would be A good time to start the build log on my new project. A micro T -33.In 1968 as an Airman 1st I was assigned to base flight 58th TFTW at Luke AFB We had 4 ADC birds and 8 TAC birds.

As a test I built a modified version of Beanys fan trainer using T-33 dimensions( 73 grams) to see if a 28mm fan from an Eflite mig would work indoors. It cruises around a gym at 1/2 throttle . with the AS6410 receiver it flys like its on a rail.Next I built a mockup of the fuse to work out ducting and parts fit. I think it's possible!

I will be using fanfold foam my target weight is 70 grams wing span 16"
seitz2c is offline Find More Posts by seitz2c
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 11, 2014, 06:00 PM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,011 Posts
deleted
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Last edited by CoolerByTheLake; Mar 11, 2014 at 06:11 PM.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 06:13 AM
The stalling italian
France, RA, Lyon
Joined Jan 2011
276 Posts
Coool! I love the T33 look, subscribed!
gionir is online now Find More Posts by gionir
Old Mar 12, 2014, 09:21 PM
Joined Apr 2012
245 Posts
Great project. If you want almost the same look with a little less weight, you could do a P-80. Slightly shorter fuselage and smaller tip tanks.
Is the AR-6410 a version of the AR-6400? (I`m doing a micro F9F Panther right now using the AR 6400.) If so, are you using 1s lipo and a brushed motor?
I just got great thrust from a 30mm 6-blade fan unit using the Bravo SX motor.
Mine will be a little smaller, around 10-inch wingspan or so.
Good luck with the project.
MiG29Fulcrum is offline Find More Posts by MiG29Fulcrum
Old Mar 13, 2014, 08:25 AM
P. Seitz
Joined Jan 2006
545 Posts
The receiver is an AS6410 is a 2s brushless it has the 3X stabilization it makes even a bad pilot fly like a pro ! the tip tanks are hollow and weigh 3 grams each. they are held in place by small rare earth magnets they come off if I have a hard landing with out ripping off the wing tips.I hate to admit it but they have come off on several of my landings Ihave been using two 1s 160 mah wired in series for a battery.That way I can stay with the 1s battery I am using on all my other indoor planes.

Paul
Old Mar 13, 2014, 07:32 PM
P. Seitz
Joined Jan 2006
545 Posts
With the motor behind the C/G I think the t-bird has an advantage on the F-80 the longer nose will let me move the battery farther forward and eliminate the need for extra ballast in the nose.

I got the nose box done today it will hold the battery , receiver and nose wheel steering.

My crash tested mig arrived today. I'll sacrifice it tonight. really it has very little damage.:
Old Mar 13, 2014, 08:37 PM
Joined Apr 2012
245 Posts
What a great idea- wiring two 1s lipos in series. I`ve seen a few 2s planes and didn`t buy them because I wanted to stay with 1s batteries. ( Not just because I have a bunch of them but because I never wanted to get into balancing and messing with 2s and up.) I can`t believe I never thought of running two 1s in series. It`s so simple, yet never occurred to me. I guess it`s because I`m so used to treating lipos so differently than NiCads and NiMhs that I don`t think of them as batteries....With any other battery I would thought of that. Amazing. Thanks for the enlightenment. Never occurred to me that two 1s equal one 2s.
I`m always so worried that they`re going to explode that I never think out of the box...

One question- do both lipos drain at the same rate, or is it possible to have one drop to a dangerous level while the other is okay?
MiG29Fulcrum is offline Find More Posts by MiG29Fulcrum
Last edited by MiG29Fulcrum; Mar 13, 2014 at 09:30 PM.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 04:08 PM
P. Seitz
Joined Jan 2006
545 Posts
yes both drain at the same rate. If you were to balance the two batterys it would give you the best preformance and a little longer flight time. when the voltage drops to minimum the sys will shut off power to the motor. so if you have a weak battery. your flight times will drop quickly. it has not been a problem. I buy a dozen new batteries every year and rotate them so they all get about the same amount of charges. usually one or two crap out before the others but thats to be expected

Paul
Old Mar 14, 2014, 08:48 PM
P. Seitz
Joined Jan 2006
545 Posts
I got the lower half of the wing cut out and glued together. I added 1" wing dihedral and reinforced it with ,020 carbon fiber.

I also built a simple box jig to keep every thing lined up as parts are glued together
Last edited by seitz2c; Mar 14, 2014 at 08:48 PM. Reason: spelling as usual
Old Mar 15, 2014, 10:23 PM
P. Seitz
Joined Jan 2006
545 Posts
I got Quite a bit done today. After I got back from the Pinewood derby with My grandson. I mated the wing to the front nose block. and got the intake installed. then got the whole assembly centered in the jig so I can start on the back half
Old Mar 17, 2014, 06:30 PM
P. Seitz
Joined Jan 2006
545 Posts
The front lower is done . the lower rear is built in the jig. the center is cut out and the lower rear is flipped over and positioned in the jig when glued to the front half.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 09:50 PM
P. Seitz
Joined Jan 2006
545 Posts
I got a little done the last couple of days. the receiver is mounted the motor is mounted and the exhaust is in. Nose wheel steering pivot is glued in place.

Paul
Old Mar 26, 2014, 09:31 PM
P. Seitz
Joined Jan 2006
545 Posts
I'm making a little progress . I got the rudder and ele. mounted and the linkage run. the motor is connected.

Paul
Old Mar 31, 2014, 10:14 PM
P. Seitz
Joined Jan 2006
545 Posts
the nose wheel steering is installed I can finish the fuse . I also got a start on the canopy plug
Old Apr 04, 2014, 09:37 PM
P. Seitz
Joined Jan 2006
545 Posts
fuselage is complete I ended up at 73.4 grams. by the time I get done sanding I should be able to cut a few grams. the canopy plug is done far enough to do a test pull