HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 06, 2013, 02:25 PM
United States, AZ, Lake Havasu City
Joined Feb 2010
906 Posts
After I taught my 2 boys RC, I taught them CL. Now that they have young kids, two of which fly RC (one learning and one soloed), the kids are always asking me when I will teach them CL when they see those planes up on the top shelf in the shop.

I thought it would be great to convert at least one of the planes to electric complete with speed control. I never had throttle on my old CL planes, but now it would be real simple using a transmitter hooked to the belt. Either nitro or electric could be throttled this way but electric would be simpler.

Also, converting to electric would open up many smaller locations to fly like neighborhood parks due to the lower noise.

I am sure this has been covered somewhere in this forum.

SpadCat
SpadCat2000 is offline Find More Posts by SpadCat2000
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 06, 2013, 03:01 PM
F2D Pilot/Mechanic
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Dec 2011
307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpadCat2000 View Post
After I taught my 2 boys RC, I taught them CL. Now that they have young kids, two of which fly RC (one learning and one soloed), the kids are always asking me when I will teach them CL when they see those planes up on the top shelf in the shop.

I thought it would be great to convert at least one of the planes to electric complete with speed control. I never had throttle on my old CL planes, but now it would be real simple using a transmitter hooked to the belt. Either nitro or electric could be throttled this way but electric would be simpler.

Also, converting to electric would open up many smaller locations to fly like neighborhood parks due to the lower noise.

I am sure this has been covered somewhere in this forum.

SpadCat
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/thumb...one&starter=no
Bob Mears is offline Find More Posts by Bob Mears
Old Mar 06, 2013, 06:20 PM
Joined Feb 2010
906 Posts
Thanks, Bob for the link. It so happens I have both a Flite Streak & a Flite Streak Jr. I was considering converting to electric.

SpadCat
Old Mar 07, 2013, 08:24 AM
Hey, watch this!
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Feb 2005
451 Posts
I tried the transmitter on the belt thing a few years ago thinking that I could get back some of the same kick that I got out of a profile stunt model that I mounted an old carrier engine to and flew on three lines for a season or two. It was very entertaining to drop the throttle on the down line and putt around the circle just above idle, then goose it into some maneuver or other. It met its end at full throttle at the end of the traditional figure nine. Heavy sigh.

Alas, my electric experiment was a disappointment since I had too little motor/battery available at that time in it was abandoned. But now . . .
Raymond-leflyr is offline Find More Posts by Raymond-leflyr
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Whining (not winning)
Old Mar 07, 2013, 10:04 PM
Joined Feb 2010
906 Posts
Yes, I went though a similar phase back in the early 90's with an e-powered RC sailplane made by Airtronics named the Eclipse. With the heavy batteries and low power geared motor, it flew "heavy" so I converted it to nitro and then it flew great.

The new lighter, higher capacity batteries and smaller more powerful motors, there should be no problem with power now.

That is what I had envisioned was being able to change power settings in flight. Touch and goes should be a lot of fun in control line just like with RC. Maybe we should name such a model an "RCCL", or "RCUkie".

SpadCat
Old Mar 07, 2013, 10:36 PM
United States, SC, Columbia
Joined May 2010
1,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GallopingGhostlr View Post
...There is a resurgence in CL, some like myself have discovered how fun it really is, and particularly with the larger CL aircraft.
In the past 6 months I've noticed more members browsing this CL forum than ever before. When I scroll down the forum list, where it says "x members viewing this forum," there were always more in the 1/2A RC section than the CL section. Now it's the other way around.

I finally joined a club and it's all RC flyers. Some of them had done CL as kids and never kept it up. They are fascinated with my 1/2A planes. I take out my two fast Baby Flite Streaks, Li'l Satan and my hotrod that I call the Refried Bean, 6.0 ounces of pure meanness, with a Norvel .061 on a pressure bladder that will scream around at the raw edge of my abilities. I always draw a crowd of onlookers and have gotten compliments on how hard it looks to fly and react so fast so close to the ground... I guess I don't make it look too easy, but I'll take the oohs, aahs and pats on the back

Here's the Refried Bean:
Name: Bean step 11.jpg
Views: 64
Size: 159.5 KB
Description: Refried Bean. Formerly a Li'l Jumpin Bean. Added flaps and extended the wings. Norvel .061 with a pressure bladder. 6.0 ounces of pure meanness.
RknRusty is offline Find More Posts by RknRusty
Old Mar 08, 2013, 05:15 PM
Vintage Aircraft Lover
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Jan 2013
575 Posts
I like your Refried Bean, RknRusty. that is one hot tamale!
GallopingGhostlr is offline Find More Posts by GallopingGhostlr
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 08, 2013, 06:59 PM
gcb
Joined Sep 2008
135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GallopingGhostlr View Post
I'm sure your RC buddies will be impressed, psychedvike. There is a resurgence in CL, some like myself have discovered how fun it really is, and particularly with the larger CL aircraft.
George

I gotta ask...I'll bet you have flown RC long enough to have flown a "galloping ghost" system?

George

PS. My first radio was a single channel pulse on 27.255 with a rubber powered compound escapement. My first digital system was a four channel World Engines "Blue Max" kit.
gcb is offline Find More Posts by gcb
Old Mar 08, 2013, 07:46 PM
Vintage Aircraft Lover
Joined Jan 2013
575 Posts
Actually George, what I have considerable experience with is Ace Pulse Proportional with KRD servo, rudder with auxiliary quick blip sequential motor control. Without elevator control, it is not true galloping ghost.

I had considered sending the transmitter in for further modifications, because one can link the rudder and elevator on an Adams Actuator, but then the narrow band frequencies came out. That put the kabosh on the Ace. Not long ago I picked up another system off E-bay on 27 MHz, equipped with quick blip throttle. I'm hoping to resurrect rudder only. Thinking about doing the Airco Aerostar, a weird 46" span swept wing cabin of the early 1960's, or similarly sized Andrews S-Ray.

My first proportional digital system was a 4 channel Charlie's R/C (Bill Cannon's wife) 810 mini-system kit on 72 MHz. I assembled it servos and all. This was prior to all the narrow band stuff.

First R/C model I had was a 27" span Top Flite R/C Schoolboy with Cox Pee Wee .020 and Ace Pulse Commander with Baby Twin Actuator on 26.995 MHz. Then one needed an FCC license (but there was no test, only apply and pay the fee).
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2013, 11:45 AM
I broke it
USA, NC, Clayton
Joined Feb 2001
5,718 Posts
My next project is a TF Flite Streak arf, to be electrifyed and throttled via a car radio, using a homemade handle and 100 or 150lb spectra kite line instead of cables. I never learned to fly cl, even though my dad and I built a jr Flite streak, destroyed a pt 19, and that testors me109, mostly struggled with the engines. I have a Brodak jr FS in the box too

Raymond, you gonna come help?

edit: discovered I had a set of sullivan tufstrand 60ft .018 equiv kevlar lines in the box

Astro 19 for power, prob a 9x6 apc-e(will try to find a pusher) and 3s 2200 battery. I trimmed about 3/16 off the bearers and rear of the notch, will use some 36mm heatsink clamshells to mount the motor. This is convenient since I can shim the thrustline just like a glow engine.
David Hogue is offline Find More Posts by David Hogue
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by David Hogue; Oct 15, 2013 at 03:22 AM.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 07:16 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,545 Posts
The Sullivan Tuffstrand has way too much drag, go with more modern Spectra lines.
Or the more traditional stainless steel, less stretchy that the Spectra.

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Oct 11, 2013, 07:25 PM
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Jul 2010
197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hogue View Post
(snip) and throttled via a car radio
Playing ZZ Top at full volume (11) I hope.
Gnu4FF is offline Find More Posts by Gnu4FF
Old Oct 11, 2013, 07:59 PM
Vintage Aircraft Lover
Joined Jan 2013
575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie View Post
The Sullivan Tuffstrand has way too much drag, go with more modern Spectra lines. Or the more traditional stainless steel, less stretchy that the Spectra. Pat MacKenzie
Spectra can be obtained at a reasonable price. Recently I purchased from E-Bay Spectra (Dyneema) in 60 lbs. test, 300 meters, color yellow for $10 shipping included. It was from a seller in China, but he had very high ratings. That is enough for 8 sets of 60 feet long lines.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2013, 08:39 PM
United States, KY, Taylorsville
Joined Mar 2010
1,534 Posts
I NEVER tire of CL flying! I think I've had more CL builds on forums than other builds and I like scale especially well. Guess I like CL a smidge better! I make my own and haven't built from a 'kit' in years.
ARUP is offline Find More Posts by ARUP
Old Oct 14, 2013, 12:18 AM
I broke it
USA, NC, Clayton
Joined Feb 2001
5,718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnu4FF View Post
Playing ZZ Top at full volume (11) I hope.
lol, I meant an rc car radio, but I can certainly appreciate some ZZ at full throttle

ZZ TOP - Just Got Paid (HIGH QUALITY) (3 min 49 sec)
David Hogue is offline Find More Posts by David Hogue
RCG Plus Member