HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 17, 2012, 08:02 AM
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Mar 2012
260 Posts
Discussion
Insurance? Legal limitations?

Hi,

A generic question about RC flying in Japan: Do we have a mandatory insurance?
Are there places you are not allowed to fly?

Common sense would say:
You should have an insurance if there is a chance someone or something gets hurt.
You should not fly near "dangerous" places like airports or Shinkansen tracks.
And it's probably a very bad idea to fly near "sensitive" places like military areas, prisons and Kokkaigijido.

While I have no plans to break any of those common sense rules, I wonder if there are rules at all regarding airplane/heli/multirotor flying things?

Harald
Hkubota is offline Find More Posts by Hkubota
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:12 AM
Japan, Tokyo, Chiyoda
Joined Oct 2010
239 Posts
Hello Kubota-san

I am also very much interested in the same question, but could not find any information in english yet except one (see below). I would be very interested if you can share what you find.

In a much older thread here, I got a more detailed answer from Sakaue-san :

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumomo View Post
Alain

Registration nor permeation are not necessary at all. But there are places where RC plane is banned. Most of them are those places where many people walking around. I am not sure where you are going to stay but the best way is to ask nearby hobby shop to introduce RC club. I never join to any club and fly planes at sports ground early in the morning. You can get an application form of RC insurance from hobby shop. It is not compulsory to fly planes but you have to have it to join a club.

N.Sakaue

If you are interested in....my blog : http://sumomorning.blogspot.com/
So far I have not needed it, so I did not take the insurance, but I will need it soon
But I'd like to know more about regulations and limitations etc ...

Practially speaking, I have seen people flying in desert areas such as the bank of rivers in Tokyo, where you have all thos esports fields : early in the morning or late afternoon there is no one there. I think this is goood for practice, zero danger.
But I would also like to fly in the countryside etc so I need to know more ...

Flyers in Japan please share your info ! (even if you find this thread much later )

Alain
alainphoto is offline Find More Posts by alainphoto
Old Nov 05, 2012, 07:48 AM
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Mar 2012
260 Posts
RC Insurance for Japan

Hi,

I was lucky to find someone who can speak a language I understand (i.e.: not only Japanese) and who knows the situation when it comes to insurance for RC hobby.

It's a as-complete-as-I-could imagine, so I simply put it here for everyone to read: the reply I received from Brian from aircraft-world.com about insurance for RC pilots in Japan:

Hello Harald,

It is not mandatory but voluntary in Japan, however, we suggset you to purchase an insurance just in case of unexpected injury or property damage caused by your flight.

Most popular RC insurance in Japan is available from AIU and can be purchased via Japan Radio Control Safety Association or at RC shops who are their registered agent. It costs 4,500 JPY for two years. It insures up to 100,000,000 JPY per accident (there is a 50,000 JPY exemption from responsibility). Although it is only written in Japanese, the details can be found here:

http://www.rck.or.jp/contents/rc_sojyu/rc_sojyu09.html

You may also get it by simply going to your local post office and fill up a bill there (called 'Haraikomi Denpyo') which looks like something in the link below (the second one in the bottom).

http://www.rck.or.jp/contents/rc_has...in03-4-3-d.jpg

Write exactly as the instruction in the link above. As per the instruction #8, it is important that you write the following line in a bill:

ラジコン保険加入希望 (which means that I would like to apply for the insurance )

Then, insert it to ATM at the post office and pay 4,500 JPY. Since they seem to be only able to accept Japanese characters, it would be easier for you to do this with an assitance of your Japanese friends or family. Your insurance will become effective from the next day you have completed the payment (Note that if there is an insufficient description or lack of payment, your insurance will only become effective after you have corrected information or paid the remaining of the payment).

If you will renewal the insurance, you need to do the same procedure again 30 days before your current insurance expires.

The below is the contact information of the insurance company in the case an accident that would require to use an insurance happens.

AIU Insurance Company
新種サービスセンター (Shinsyu Service Center)
TEL 0120-11-6299 (toll free. Opens from 9:00 - 17:00 from Monday to Friday)
or Call 0120-01-9016 for any other days including weekend and national holiday.

Hope this info will help you.

Best Regards,

Brian
International Sales Manager, Air Craft
http://aircraft-world.com
Hkubota is offline Find More Posts by Hkubota
Old Nov 05, 2012, 09:10 PM
Japan, Tokyo, Chiyoda
Joined Oct 2010
239 Posts
thanks, this is fantastic information - many thanks to Brian then

I will include their shop in my shopping list I already see they have a good selection of APC props !
alainphoto is offline Find More Posts by alainphoto
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:52 PM
Joined Jan 2012
58 Posts
Yep great information! Alain how far is Chiyoda from Sagamihara?
Malinois1 is offline Find More Posts by Malinois1