HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 01, 2012, 03:45 PM
James not bond
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined May 2012
2,074 Posts
Discussion
quality battery brand?

i'm looking for some 4s batteries to feed my FPV rig... currently i'm using zipp5AH 4s .. they look nice.. but the big problem is there is always one cell being 0.2V lower than other cells.. which bothers me a lot.. so i'd like to find some batteries with good quality..

here's what i have found
Blue Lipo http://www.hobbypartz.com/83p-5000mah-4s1p-148-20c.html
Gen Ace http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-60c-5000-4s1p-4444.html
Turnigy Nano http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Lipo_Pack.html

max amp is out of consideration cuz of its crazy high price...

any comment on the listed lipo or good suggestion is appreciated

also i wonder if I get some high C-rating batt, 30C for example, can they handle the voltage better than low C?

thanks
J
jy0933 is offline Find More Posts by jy0933
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 01, 2012, 04:00 PM
Rangers Lead the Way
Joined Mar 2010
1,956 Posts
All those batteries you cite are made by the same manufacture, as is Rhino. These are all generally very solid products with good lifespan, and the newer stuff is significantly better than the older stuff - even the stuff you bought 2 years ago. That said, defective batteries happen from time to time - can happen with any brand. Also, I personally would not get worked up about a small difference like that for your application. You may also want to consider your charger or balancer as the culprit. There are very few good chargers out there - Thunder Power is the only brand I trust. I have tried Bantam, Imax and the other Chinese derivatives, with poor results. The balancing of those chargers is very inaccurate. If you want truly accurate balance charging, invest in a Thunder Power charger.

The onlyLipo brands that represent truly high quality (in my opinion) are XPS and Hyperion, but you are going to pay big bucks - not worth it unless you are competing in events where every gram of weight or every amp of current and power counts (like competition EDF or F3A, or Pylon). I have flown Thunder Power and do not consider them to perform any better than the Zippy stuff. In fact, the TP stuff has gotten weaker over time whereas the Zippys with same number of cycles, continue to perform better. IMO, the TP Lipos are a rip-off.

The high-C Turnigy / Zippy / Gens Ace / Blue stuff works well as long as you don't try to take the actual C-rating as religion. Generally, for good performance and longevity, you should select a max C-rating that is twice the max sustained draw of the intended application: if I have an EDF jet that will draw 45A at full throttle and I will use a 4S 2200 pack in it, I would select a 40C battery. The Nanotech max ratings should be taken with a big grain of salt - they like to puff when used near the max ratings.
TTRotary is online now Find More Posts by TTRotary
Last edited by TTRotary; Sep 01, 2012 at 04:15 PM.
Old Sep 01, 2012, 07:44 PM
James not bond
Joined May 2012
2,074 Posts
the 0.2v lower cell is measured during charging. out of box batt check was 0.5v below other 3( 3.8/3.2/3.8/3.8). mine is icharger 106b+, never had any problem charge any batt, and hand calibrated the voltage reading with multimeter. pretty sure charger is good.

hmm. didnt know they are made from the same factory since the pricing is quiet different.

my application, the current draw is pretty low, less than 10A each motor .. so sum up less than 65A entire system. 2x 5AH 20c is pretty much more than enough. i had choice between flightmax, compact, and nano..ended up flightmax is the least weight comes down to the same capacity. (it's a FPV rig, less weight on battery can have better cameras on board )

guess i'll end up going nano 4s, had a few 3s before, they handle voltage pretty well and long cycle lasting

thanks
J
Old Sep 01, 2012, 07:52 PM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
1,890 Posts
Give Hayin a try,i'm happy with mine.
The Tug is offline Find More Posts by The Tug
Old Sep 01, 2012, 07:55 PM
James not bond
Joined May 2012
2,074 Posts
can i get a link for Hayin?
Old Sep 01, 2012, 08:24 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,547 Posts
They have a Thread here

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1539978

Have you tried a Goggle Search?
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Sep 01, 2012, 08:28 PM
James not bond
Joined May 2012
2,074 Posts
ha.. i know why i got some weird results from google searching Hayin... gotta add battery on the back
Old Sep 02, 2012, 02:02 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,243 Posts
Also you might want to consider Glacier from EPBuddy:
http://epbuddy.com/index.php?main_pa...ex&cPath=22_23

Reports I've seen of them have been good. As soon as he gets his 3S 1300 back in stock I'm ordering some.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver