HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Libtekguy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 09, 2012, 11:18 PM
This we'll defend
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined May 2011
63 Posts
Discussion
My custom field box for electric flight

I've built a couple field boxes now, both out of 1/8" ply with a number of cool features. My first box had a built in battery, electric pump and 60oz fuel tank along with a Hobbico Power panel and a dozen other cool features.

Now that I have gotten away from nitro and only do electric now (nothing against nitro, I just like the ease of LiPo better) I decided it was time for a new field kit. I didn't want to build another one out of wood because it took me a couple months to finish the last one. I also wanted something even more compact and easier to take to the field. I wanted it to carry my transmitter, charger, LiPos, a few tools and a power source. I looked at converting Craftsman portable tool boxes, but I thought it would be too difficult organizing the things inside it.

So I decided to convert a hard brief case (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details) to suit my needs. The "build" was easy, I pretty much just plucked out the foam in the shapes that I needed and cut the included dividers to length as well. I cut a hole for a speaker box terminal that accepts our commonly used banana plugs for access to my power supply Lipos (four cheap B-Grade 5000 mAh 3S LiPos from Hobby King).

When charging I set my charger on top of the case and plug into the power terminals on the outside, this way the charger has plenty of ventilation. I'm not worried about ventilating the power supply batteries because at full charging capacity I'm only drawing about 2.5C off each battery.

The case contains:
1- DX8 Transmitter
6- 2100 mAh 3S LiPos
4- 3300 mAh 6S LiPos
4- 5000 mAh 3S LiPos
5- 370 mAh 3S Lipos
2- Multi tools (hex and screw drivers)
1- Watt meter
1- Tachometer
-Various charging leads
Libtekguy is offline Find More Posts by Libtekguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2012, 11:43 PM
Check your six....
Kalamazoo Kal/Btlcrk, Michigan, United States
Joined Nov 2001
324 Posts
You may not want to store your radio in the same case as the Lipos. If they flame out, you will lose everything.
twinster2 is offline Find More Posts by twinster2
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 10, 2012, 01:04 AM
GET TO THE CHOPPA
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2011
7 Posts
this is cool
Nemer06 is offline Find More Posts by Nemer06
Old Jan 10, 2012, 06:21 PM
United States, MN, Otsego
Joined Dec 2010
379 Posts
Very nice and cost effective. I have a hard laptop case I may be able to use, it is almost the same size with a compartment on each side, one deeper for the laptop itself that would be deep enough for the tx and the other side for tools, batteries etc... hmmmm

Thanks for sharing!

Jim
jcmors is offline Find More Posts by jcmors
Old Jan 19, 2012, 08:37 PM
Joined Oct 2011
364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinster2 View Post
you may not want to store your radio in the same case as the lipos. If they flame out, you will lose everything.
lol.
man1024 is offline Find More Posts by man1024
Old Feb 10, 2012, 10:57 AM
Try Try and Try Again
Florida
Joined Feb 2011
219 Posts
Did maiden your Heli yet?
IronRotor is offline Find More Posts by IronRotor
Old Feb 14, 2012, 04:18 PM
This we'll defend
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined May 2011
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinster2 View Post
You may not want to store your radio in the same case as the Lipos. If they flame out, you will lose everything.
Good call. I'll probably risk it for a little while. In the future this case will probably end up being a dedicated tool/charging box, and I'll have a separate case for my transmitter.
Libtekguy is offline Find More Posts by Libtekguy