HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 20, 2014, 10:01 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jul 2010
433 Posts
737-800!!

Finally, after months of contemplation, the long awaited (at least for me) ultimate mod is underway. I have successfully stretched the Windrider 737 kit to the -800 length, by adding approximately 6.29" forward at 5.65" aft. The right half is together- the left half I have the pieces in place to provide a sense of the growth of the aircraft.

Several issues abounded in the stretch- a big one was how to ensure structural strength (such as will the plugs carry and structure? Answer: No, actually.) I installed internal beams, and the plugs carry almost zero torsional load. Where to cut it forward? What happens to the battery bay? What happens to CG?

Things to do include building a tail bumper (yep, plan to- may even make it retractable too), raising the nose gear bay a bit (standard). Since I am making it common with my other Alaska (the wing that has the flaps and spoilers, I plan to use the common wing and adjust the flap schedule slightly.) I plan to be able to switch between fuselages at the field in under 10 minutes.

I will have more pics, including internals and a comparison to -700 in the coming days...just a teaser for now.
Doug W is offline Find More Posts by Doug W
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2014, 11:04 PM
Fly and let Fly!
United States, CO, Grand Junction
Joined May 2010
1,821 Posts
Careful... You might make Ming feel bad..!!
Cocg is online now Find More Posts by Cocg
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Updating Hangar (a little)
Old Jul 20, 2014, 11:24 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jun 2002
4,535 Posts
Can't sleep!
Feel no good..
Look a like cutting tuna
本まぐろ 44KG bluefin Cutting Tuna Fish sushi part 1 (5 min 54 sec)

Ming Lou
Ming is offline Find More Posts by Ming
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 21, 2014, 12:16 AM
Joined Jul 2010
433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ming View Post
Can't sleep!
Feel no good..
Look a like cutting tuna
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltEqIXxBoxg

Ming Lou
You're right Ming- it does kinda look like a cut tuna! Can't wait for it to be done- I'm really excited on this modification program.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 04:56 AM
Joined Jun 2014
10 Posts
what does it take to get the look. did you use vinyl ? Im doing a RNZAF one
737 nz fan is offline Find More Posts by 737 nz fan
Old Jul 21, 2014, 11:46 AM
Joined Jul 2010
433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 737 nz fan View Post
what does it take to get the look. did you use vinyl ? Im doing a RNZAF one
Yep, 2mm vinyl. Oracal 751 is the trick. It's used commonly in full-size vehicle graphics/car wraps. Hundreds of colors available.

You could also use Oracal 651, at 2.5MM but it doesn't take curves as well. I used 651 on the top of the wings and lifting surfaces.

-Doug W
Old Jul 21, 2014, 08:06 PM
Australia, QLD, Toowoomba
Joined Oct 2011
366 Posts
Hi Doug

Glad you finally got around to this project, looking good so far, it's going to look such a nice plane as an 800 model, I will follow this with 'wide eyes' my other WR 787 is still in the box waiting to see how it can be stretched into a '9' model

Mike
limodune is offline Find More Posts by limodune
Old Jul 21, 2014, 10:38 PM
Joined Jul 2010
433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by limodune View Post
Hi Doug

Glad you finally got around to this project, looking good so far, it's going to look such a nice plane as an 800 model, I will follow this with 'wide eyes' my other WR 787 is still in the box waiting to see how it can be stretched into a '9' model

Mike
I'm glad I finally got around to it as well- I've had some pretty sizeable delays of recent due to well, life, but am back on track. And I might add, excited to keep building and pushing the mod envelope.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 10:55 PM
Heli Mad
Australia, VIC, Elsternwick
Joined Feb 2002
972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug W View Post
Yep, 2mm vinyl. Oracal 751 is the trick. It's used commonly in full-size vehicle graphics/car wraps. Hundreds of colors available.

You could also use Oracal 651, at 2.5MM but it doesn't take curves as well. I used 651 on the top of the wings and lifting surfaces.

-Doug W
Doug, how does the finish look with the Oracal? I have seen videos of it applied in strips and wonder if you see a whole lot of lines in the overlaps.
stevebarrow is offline Find More Posts by stevebarrow
Old Jul 22, 2014, 07:27 PM
Chi-Town, Il. U.S.A.
Joined Jul 2009
497 Posts
I'm sorry, I just had to do this: only works on level, smooth runways...LOL
dlxpkg2000 is offline Find More Posts by dlxpkg2000
Old Jul 22, 2014, 10:38 PM
Joined Jul 2010
433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebarrow View Post
Doug, how does the finish look with the Oracal? I have seen videos of it applied in strips and wonder if you see a whole lot of lines in the overlaps.
Other than the radome which is exceedingly hard to do in one piece, it is very tough to see overlaps. I make most (if not all of my overlaps) at the molded panel line sections so they largely disappear. I will say I purposely use the overlap at the joints of the control surfaces, which provides another measure of surety the ailerons, elevators or rudder won't flutter off.

Look at the previous page that has a pic of my RAAF Wedgetail. It is difficult if not impossible to see overlaps. That said, if you get 6-12" from the surface of the model, you can see them of course. but most flaws show up at that distance.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 10:42 PM
Chi-Town, Il. U.S.A.
Joined Jul 2009
497 Posts
At 6 to 12 FEET., all you see is a great lookin' aircraft...
dlxpkg2000 is offline Find More Posts by dlxpkg2000
Old Yesterday, 04:09 AM
Heli Mad
Australia, VIC, Elsternwick
Joined Feb 2002
972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug W View Post
Other than the radome which is exceedingly hard to do in one piece, it is very tough to see overlaps. I make most (if not all of my overlaps) at the molded panel line sections so they largely disappear. I will say I purposely use the overlap at the joints of the control surfaces, which provides another measure of surety the ailerons, elevators or rudder won't flutter off.

Look at the previous page that has a pic of my RAAF Wedgetail. It is difficult if not impossible to see overlaps. That said, if you get 6-12" from the surface of the model, you can see them of course. but most flaws show up at that distance.
Thanks Doug
stevebarrow is offline Find More Posts by stevebarrow