Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 07, 2013, 11:19 AM
Joined Nov 2006
429 Posts
Same problem here, 'Hop. I was gifted with a number of new airplanes that needed a few little things, suddenly had an influx of repair work for others, and had my normal maintenance, repair, and upgrades to deal with. not much time for the faithful Corvalis. That has changed, though. after a couple of days flying i remembered what I like about this bird, so it has now been bumped to the top of the go to list once again. Looking forward to making those mods I spoke of earlier.

Hey Kimber! Is that the Dynam spinner and prop you are using? Looks good.
Fravits is online now Find More Posts by Fravits
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2013, 11:31 AM
United States, MS, Picayune
Joined Dec 2011
162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fravits View Post
Hey Kimber! Is that the Dynam spinner and prop you are using? Looks good.
...Think you were referring to my plane, and if so...yes, it's the Dynam 3-bladed prop/spinner. Also changed the main wheels for some rubber ones also. Make a big difference in the hard as a brick foam tires that it comes with.
mds47588 is offline Find More Posts by mds47588
Old Jan 07, 2013, 03:55 PM
Blue Skies
United States, VA, Williamsburg
Joined May 2012
1,099 Posts
Nosewheel

Quote:
The nose wheel replacement is due any day!
I'm in the same boat. My HK order just shipped a few days ago with new wheels and other parts. I only flew once over the holidays with the front wheel epoxied in place but came off on the first crash. Wish I could have said landing but my Tactic TTX600 tx range seemed to be limited to 200' on the last flight. I measured it with a measuring wheel. It was sporadic from 200 to 235' and gone at 240'. All batteries were fresh and charged to 100%. I don't know if it was the cold (40 degrees) but can't figure out any other reason. I have a DSM2 rx coming in the shipment and will try my DX6i with it if the range check is low again in warmer weather.
Don
hifinsword is offline Find More Posts by hifinsword
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 07, 2013, 06:03 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
4,673 Posts
Don if you would, please keep us posted on your findings with the Tactic 'AnyLink' setup. (I presume that's what you're using -- are you?) I've noticed a particular trait mine seems to be afflicted with & I'm in a kinda long-way-round series of elimination steps trying to nail down the exact cause. I started a thread some while ago for others who experience problems to report them, so's to accompany my findings to Tactic when I'm done with my research. My 'glitch' (at least the one I've verified) has to do with sporadically losing signal to the motor, if that'll ring any bells. It's happened now with different AnyLink Rx's on 2 separate Corvalis airframes, as well as an Rx-R Calypso.
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 07, 2013, 09:42 PM
Joined Nov 2006
429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mds47588 View Post
...Think you were referring to my plane, and if so...yes, it's the Dynam 3-bladed prop/spinner. Also changed the main wheels for some rubber ones also. Make a big difference in the hard as a brick foam tires that it comes with.
Sorry, mds, it was your picture. I have thought about some bigger wheels on mine, too. My thinking was that a bigger wheel on the nose would close the gap between tire and pant and might keep wet grass clippings from becoming lodgec in there and locking up the wheel. I'll see how that works out.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 05:22 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
4,673 Posts
Ain't gonna happen, Fravz! *LOL*
Dunno if you guys have noticed it (but how could ya not? ) but this plane's wheels suck up grass bits better'n a Hoover 9000! It's almost uncanny how much they collect, really. I believe there's some static buildup that serves as an attractant too -- from trying to flick away random bits & they just wanta cling to the surface. Hmmmm....OMG don't tell me we gotta strap on some dryer sheets to help alleviate the situation!
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 08, 2013, 06:55 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
8,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
Dunno if you guys have noticed it (but how could ya not? ) but this plane's wheels suck up grass bits better'n a Hoover 9000! It's almost uncanny how much they collect, really. I believe there's some static buildup that serves as an attractant too -- from trying to flick away random bits & they just wanta cling to the surface. Hmmmm....OMG don't tell me we gotta strap on some dryer sheets to help alleviate the situation!
Nothing to do with the Model.....Wheel Pants (Covers) suck up all kinds of stuff, especially if taking off / landing from grass field (most especially if wet conditions are present!).

My large MidWest Citabria (Kit & Glow -to- Electric Conversion) does the same thing....

PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by PittSpecial; Jan 08, 2013 at 07:02 AM.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 05:34 PM
Joined Nov 2006
429 Posts
Quote:
Well, so much for that dream, but who knew about static cling? Yeah, mounting those dryer sheets will be a bit of a bother, but it certainly will give the landing gear that fresh as Spring aroma.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 05:36 PM
Joined Nov 2006
429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittSpecial View Post
Nothing to do with the Model.....Wheel Pants (Covers) suck up all kinds of stuff, especially if taking off / landing from grass field (most especially if wet conditions are present!).

My large MidWest Citabria (Kit & Glow -to- Electric Conversion) does the same thing....

So size doesn't matter?
Old Jan 08, 2013, 08:34 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
8,934 Posts
Quote:
So size doesn't matter?
Nope!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:42 PM
Joined Dec 2011
162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittSpecial View Post
Nope!
Um...YES it does! A pic of my wife and I. (Hint...notice the name of the boat)

Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:50 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
8,934 Posts
I mean we are discussing Wheel Pants (Covers) and you post your ugly mug?

Yes indeed, we can dig in really well to see if we can hunt for that Golden Nugget

RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 09, 2013, 10:53 AM
Blue Skies
United States, VA, Williamsburg
Joined May 2012
1,099 Posts
TACTIC 6 channel transmitter part # TTX600

Quote:
Don if you would, please keep us posted on your findings with the Tactic 'AnyLink' setup. (I presume that's what you're using -- are you?) I've noticed a particular trait mine seems to be afflicted with & I'm in a kinda long-way-round series of elimination steps trying to nail down the exact cause. I started a thread some while ago for others who experience problems to report them, so's to accompany my findings to Tactic when I'm done with my research. My 'glitch' (at least the one I've verified) has to do with sporadically losing signal to the motor, if that'll ring any bells. It's happened now with different AnyLink Rx's on 2 separate Corvalis airframes, as well as an Rx-R Calypso.
I don't have the AnyLink but was using the TTX600 tx that came with the RTF Corvalis. I took the plane up higher than usual because I was using the parking lot instead of the 7' runway at the park. I knew the front wheel was a temporary fix so wanted all the space I could use for TOFF and Lndgs. Some trees are nearby so up I went higher than usual to clear them. Once at altitude I could hear the motor spinning up and cutting off. I had to let it down by cutting throttle and it settled into a tree with minor damage. I went home for a ladder and rake and a measuring wheel. Before the flight I did a range check out to 200' and it was good. That was the length of the one parking lot. After the crash I measured the lot, 200', and then did a range check from there across the entrance and into the next lot. It started with intermittent signals from 200 out to 235'. At 240' there was no signal. My girlfriend verified this as I moved the sticks.

I was thinking about getting the free AnyLink with a Tx ready plane next and using the Tactic 6ch or the AnyLink that came free (TowerHobbies) with some of them before the holidays. That sale is gone now. But after this last crash I doubt I'll be using the Tactic on anything that I fly out to any range. I'll be buying a Rx ready plane or helo and using my DX6i with a compatible rx. I'll keep you informed once I get the HK wheels and mouning kits setup. But I don't think I'll fly in cold weather again, at least not the Corvalis.
Don
hifinsword is offline Find More Posts by hifinsword
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 11, 2013, 04:37 PM
Flyin' Ryan
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined May 2012
2,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mds47588 View Post
This thread has almost died it seems.

I just got some Corvalis time in this evening. Started off with a bit more wind than I'm comfortable with, but the plane handled it easy enough. WIth the added 3 bladed prop, this makes for a very attractive looking plane. Even looks fast on the ground and in the air...it is!

Another feature that I like about this plane is that I can actually see the nose strut "working" whereas on my 182...it doesn't seem to move at all. Flying around at dusk with the "strobes" flashing is just too kewl.

Nice! What is the 3-blade prop? Are you using the stock ESC?
theimacman is offline Find More Posts by theimacman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My review of the YK016 Aviator
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:01 PM
Joined Dec 2011
162 Posts
Dynam 3-bladed prop and spinner. About a $15.00 upgrade and 3 min tops. Merely remove the old and replace with this setup. The Dynam prop has their logo on each blade in bright yellow. I first painted the prop flat black and then added the white tips to mine. To be true to scale they are "slashing" the wrong way...but really who would notice. All the electronics are stock from the box.