HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 17, 2010, 08:23 PM
St. Mary, Maryland, United States
Joined Dec 1996
8,219 Posts
Discussion
Shop Tour

Hoser wanted a tour of my shop so here goes!

My wife and I along with our son, two cats a gerbil and a dog moved in to this house in October 2007. I spent the first 6 or 9 months doing all those things you need to do in a new house plus I finished about 1/2 or a little more of the basement for the rest of the family. I framed it all, hung all the drywall, did the flooring etc. I hired an electrician because that was required to get it properly permitted and inspected.

In the summer of 2008 I took up woodworking and aquired the power tools over time. At some point I decided to improve the shop, it isn't "finished" but it is a pretty nice shop. There is epoxy paint on the floor and unpainted drywall screwed in place. Everything you see I've built myself / wired etc. Any wood that isn't plywood started as rough wood and was milled / thicknessed etc. I did all the cabinets except the white ones.
Chris True is offline Find More Posts by Chris True
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 17, 2010, 08:24 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,055 Posts
Nice shop!

And only one foamie in the whole place. You are holding out on us
Eddie P is online now Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 17, 2010, 08:33 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
seems like Chris is holding out on us and not showing us his "other" shop. or as he calls it, "his airplane storage area". LOL.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Apr 17, 2010, 08:36 PM
Suspended Account
Mokena,Illinois -United States
Joined Oct 2006
5,826 Posts
Tell me about the grizzly. How does it work? Is it just for the shop or is it a whole house allergen type of thing? I assume its like a modern vaccum in terms of cyclone style suction. You just have return vents running to it or ????
lavochkin is offline Find More Posts by lavochkin
Old Apr 17, 2010, 08:38 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,133 Posts
Nice Chris man I always wanted a workshop like that ...

I've been convinced that you can only become a better modeler by having the right tools avaliable !

Herb is offline Find More Posts by Herb
Old Apr 17, 2010, 08:50 PM
Joined Dec 1996
8,219 Posts
LOL Herb! I had 1/2 my dads basement years ago and then spent years with err, marginal shop facilities. When we finally had a house built I did a few extras with the shop in mind. There is a concrete sidewalk all the way from the driveway to the basement door, I had a 6' wide double french door put in for easy access (it is a walk up so about 9 steps down to the door) and took the 8.5 foot ceiling option.

The grizzly cyclone is not whole house, just the shop. The outlet is 7 or 8" in diameter, I"ve run 6" metal HVAC ducting all around the shop and each tool has a drop with a 4" reducer and vinyl flex line running to the tool with a blast gate. The collector sucks all the dust and chips in, it spins in the cylone body and 99% of the stuff drops in to the 35 gallon collection drum. The remaining air is exhausted through a 4 or 5 foot high filter. It's got a brush system inside the filter and every once in a while you pull on cables to drive the brush up and down and the wood "flour" dust drops in to a plastic collection bag at the bottom of the filter. When I am milling and sawing I can fill the drum a couple or three times a day.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 08:54 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,826 Posts
Wow!! Thank you sir. Very sweet setup indeed. Very smart on your part too.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 08:55 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,826 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb View Post
Nice Chris man I always wanted a workshop like that ...

I've been convinced that you can only become a better modeler by having the right tools avaliable !

Is that your "Persuader" tool kit Herb?? LOL!!
Old Apr 17, 2010, 09:19 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,826 Posts
Wow, that really must help out a ton!! Very nice setup. What a system like that run? If I may ask.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 09:27 PM
Joined Dec 1996
8,219 Posts
The collector is 950 + shipping

http://www.grizzly.com/products/2-HP...ollector/G0440

When I got it I think it was a hundred cheaper plus Microsoft had their cashback program at 25% for e-bay purchases up to $250 per purchase so I stole it . The ductwork is 6" HVAC stuff from home depot, it adds up but nothing like the custom purpose designed stuff Grizzly shows.

It works well, before I got it there was sawdust everywhere and it would take hours for the fine stuff to settle out of the air. With the collector the shop stays pretty clean and you can see. You still need to run a broom around at the end of the day but it's a little pan full not a trash can full.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 09:37 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,826 Posts
That pays for itself then in the end and then some. I have allergies and that would be sweet especially with the fine paint particals and all the welding I did. I know how saw dust is. It finds its way into everything and everywhere. Thanks for that link. Looks like a new plasma cutter will have to wait now. This is a must have and is not absurdley priced either. My buddy does hvac on the side cause he is a pipe fitter by trade. So I can probably get the ducting for nothing. It may just take a while to aquire all the parts. Does it run on a 110v line or is it 220-221....whatever it takes!! LOL!!!!! (Mr.Mom quote)?? Thanks for all that info chris. Nice shop. My grandfather would love you as a neighbor. He has so much machinery for woodworking and gunsmithing and machining its not even funny. He actually does it all but is even more of a compulsive gadget buyer. Now I know where I get my genes from with the compulsiveness of RC.