Dec 08, 2012, 05:42 PM
Fear me, I'm a space-duck.
Quote:
Do you like foam yet? Hehehehe......
Hah! Pfhrt, I don't know what you're talking about.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 08, 2012, 06:31 PM
Addicted to building...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzie
Hah! Pfhrt, I don't know what you're talking about.
Professor Balsa Dust says "Got to build me a flying Duck from my Balsa stash". LOL.

You know I'm teasing, I build from Balsa also sometimes...... In fact that is where I started. I'm just addicted to foam at the moment, please help me.........

Fred

Dec 08, 2012, 06:41 PM
Addicted to building...
Thread OP

For those of us that haven't tried an airbrush yet, thought I'd post a link to Harbor Freight and the two airbrushes that I go to most often. Most airbrushes cost way too much, but Harbor Freight makes it reasonable for most of us.

The Dual Action is what I did for this build, because it has fine control and puts out very little paint when you need that. (For Micros). It is a real bargan at $19.99 BTW. Sometimes they even have sales and you can get one for $15-16.00 like I did.

The other is great for painting park flyers, and general get lots of paint on something, and doesn't hurt is your ruin a jar or two since you get five in a set for $11.99.

Fred

Dec 08, 2012, 07:03 PM
Fear me, I'm a space-duck.
Gotta love the infamous balsa-cough. When at the club we all sound like 80 year old men who smoked way too much in their lives. I only have two foam planes; The easyglider (Or what's left of my first plane ) and a micro sabre. I once tried to make something out of foam, other than wing cores and rocket nosecones, and it ended up pretty 'interesting', involving a lot of fire on my workbench...
A flying duck eh? Hmmm, maybe I could..... Oh great, look what you've done!
Dec 08, 2012, 07:51 PM
Addicted to building...
Thread OP
Foam and fire do not mix. Very, very dark smoke emits itself and kills everyone in the house. Balsa does not like fire either, but it mostly emits gray smoke, and invisable gasses that kill everyone in the house...........

Flying Duck, flying duck, yeah! I have seen many dinosaurs, some eagles, and hawks, but a Duck?????? That would be fitting I'd say!

Fred
Dec 08, 2012, 09:43 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Absolutely beautiful build Fred!

I've followed from the beginning and enjoyed every progress photo along the way.

My dream is, of course, a 15mm EDF Nano Hawk so I stalk and watch others to gain valuable info in preparation (I got the ChrisT controller here - just waiting on a new cap) to build mine.

The flash images looked the best to me.

I hope it does putt around the sky - means it will make a brilliant indoor flyer!
Dec 08, 2012, 11:32 PM
Addicted to building...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged
Absolutely beautiful build Fred!

I've followed from the beginning and enjoyed every progress photo along the way.

My dream is, of course, a 15mm EDF Nano Hawk so I stalk and watch others to gain valuable info in preparation (I got the ChrisT controller here - just waiting on a new cap) to build mine.

The flash images looked the best to me.

I hope it does putt around the sky - means it will make a brilliant indoor flyer!
Thank you Dave.

Your expertise, opinions, and approval mean a whole lot to me, and thouands of RCG regulars, so thank you again. Your 20mm testing from the past was well studied by me before plunging into this build.

I know what you mean by the flight expectations using brushed motors, and if I get an indoor flyer only that is OK by me. Seems to put out as much thrust on the bench as the 30mm in my aged Omega V1 project jet, and that flew just fine. I just couldn't get it below 24 grams this time without special electronics, so we will see. Even the Horizon Eflite Spectrum Board would have saved weight, but it is too darn big to fit in this size jet, go figure that! I am not unhappy with the weight but nothing is ever light enough. I did learn a ton on this one for future projects.

The Chris T nano Squall, controller, and 15mm is so cool. I wish I was that far along into sub-micros and I would cut a 15mm T-45 Hawk for both of us to see if I could get it super, super light! Just not in the cards right now, I'm still new to 20mm!

Anyway hope you also like that it's dressed in Aussie Uniform (hehehe). Haven't had any shop time since yesterday, but will get her ready first chance I get.

Thanks again Sir.

Fred
Dec 09, 2012, 02:09 PM
*GRAVITY* I hate it :(

canapy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie B

For now, got to post a few closeups for those here that also use the tissue decals, and for 'what the heck' might as well. Got to go shopping, make dinner, and will get the pushrods on tonight, tomorrow???? Then we will get to do some testing.

I do know that the fan will slide the airframe along the ground, Plus an indoor, "Man Den", underhand launch towards the "Couch of Kings", gets the beast moving along. Guessing launching this baby will be a treat (not) and unsure if a simple hand toss or some kind of bungie would be best! Oh what fun, hahahaha. The chuck glider wasn't easy to grip and throw decent every time, so there we go!

I do like how she turned out. There will be more Hot Wired Micros coming my way soon!

Fred

Hay Fred looking great how did you make the canopy?and any eta on madin?
Have you glide tested yet?............
Dec 09, 2012, 02:11 PM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
Have u thought of an underhand toss for air launch? I usually toss almost straight up at wot.
Dec 10, 2012, 09:08 AM
Addicted to building...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparken57
Hay Fred looking great how did you make the canopy?and any eta on madin?
Have you glide tested yet?............
Hello and thanks for the compliment, and for the questions.

If you go to Post #100, post #101, and post #103 it will walk you through the canopy making on this one. The plug is faom, a bit of basswood, covered in glass. The canopy is clear heat shrink wrap sold at LHS bt company named Trinity to cover Old style NiCd batteries with. Simple and light.

Maiden ETA ? It's 6 degrees Fahrenheit (-14.4 Celsius) outside right now, but soon, LOL! Too cold for me!

I had mentioned somewhere here that loading down the chuck glider made a good glide test on glide angle and CG location. It does like to have some speed on at this size and weight. Inside my Man Den (basement) I have powered her up and aimed it at the couch a few feet away, with no pushrods on yet, and the fan is obviously 'picking' up steam' so to say, but this was no real test if you know what I mean.

Fred
Dec 10, 2012, 09:14 AM
Addicted to building...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemoskull
Have u thought of an underhand toss for air launch? I usually toss almost straight up at wot.
Good thought, but do remember this is a brushed setup and there is no afterburner type of power here! A brushless setup probably would go straight up, but after all I have learned building and gliding this one, it would weigh more and need to fly even faster because of wing loading. So far, throwing it has been like 50/50 go flat out/go nose down, go straight/go left. Nothing to really grip. Almost got the pushrods done so I'll be back!

Fred
Dec 10, 2012, 01:57 PM
Addicted to building...
Thread OP

Control rods and horns.

I decided to try something different this time on my control rod setup. I have used carbon fiber pushrods before, usually with music wire ends. In an effort to save weight I thought I would try some tiny wood clevis ends and horns, using plywood, basswood, and a small amount of Fiberglass. Ths should be lighter and much more snag free when landing on the belly. Maybe I can prevent the need for servo arm covers.

To start, all clevis ears and the horns will be from 1/64" plywood (0.01625" thick). Te servo ends I used a coffee stiring stick (basswood) and sanded it down to the thickness of the servo arms which is 1mm (0.03937 Wide). So far so good, then I just needed to strip the wood to ear width and decided to go for 3mm as a rough cut before glue and sanding.

I am using thick CyA, and thin CyA for assembly. My actual pushrod shown is 0.020" in diameter (0.508mm). This is some tiny stuff and I think it is going to help save on weight.

Fred
Last edited by Freddie B; Dec 10, 2012 at 08:54 PM.
Dec 10, 2012, 03:25 PM
It looks alot more professional im gonna try that same with my build.
Dec 10, 2012, 04:03 PM
*GRAVITY* I hate it :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie B
Hello and thanks for the compliment, and for the questions.

If you go to Post #100, post #101, and post #103 it will walk you through the canopy making on this one. The plug is faom, a bit of basswood, covered in glass. The canopy is clear heat shrink wrap sold at LHS bt company named Trinity to cover Old style NiCd batteries with. Simple and light.

Maiden ETA ? It's 6 degrees Fahrenheit (-14.4 Celsius) outside right now, but soon, LOL! Too cold for me!

I had mentioned somewhere here that loading down the chuck glider made a good glide test on glide angle and CG location. It does like to have some speed on at this size and weight. Inside my Man Den (basement) I have powered her up and aimed it at the couch a few feet away, with no pushrods on yet, and the fan is obviously 'picking' up steam' so to say, but this was no real test if you know what I mean.

Fred
I did see that post,Did you heat with a heat gun,or Bake in the oven?that soft white power stuff might be a good glide test surface heet bill
keep up the helpful tips. Ken ..
Dec 10, 2012, 06:32 PM
Addicted to building...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparken57
I did see that post,Did you heat with a heat gun,or Bake in the oven?that soft white power stuff might be a good glide test surface heet bill
keep up the helpful tips. Ken ..
Hey Ken,

Heat gun, but on low, and kept it far away as possible since the foam plug could have been damaged (don't ask how I know).

Fred

Quick Reply