Old Jun 20, 2016, 03:22 AM
Find More Posts by pauljdickinson
Joined Mar 2009
8 Posts
Discussion
durafly autogyro g2 balance point

Can anyone tell me where the center of gravity is supposed to be. I have searched the internet and can,t find anything. I bought mine second hand and do not have the instructions/manual. Also does anyone know where to download a manual.
pauljdickinson is offline Find More Posts by pauljdickinson
Last edited by pauljdickinson; Jun 20, 2016 at 04:17 AM. Reason: forgot to ask for further info
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2016, 04:58 PM
Find More Posts by Graham L
Joined Jul 2014
212 Posts
Paul

Mine is balanced half way between the front of the wooden mast and the hatch opening and flies smoothly and very well. You can go back to just in front of the mast but it becomes more lively at that.

Graham
Graham L is offline Find More Posts by Graham L
Old Jun 20, 2016, 05:02 PM
Joined Jul 2014
212 Posts
Sorry Paul--forgot to mention .....

Mine needed about 15 grams of stick on lead in the cowl cheeks alongside the motor to achieve that cg.

Graham
Old Jun 20, 2016, 09:04 PM
Find More Posts by roidspop
Joined Apr 2005
1,062 Posts
With a 3s 1300 mAh pack mine has its CG almost directly under the center of the head. Seems pretty far aft, but it flies well and has around 150 flights so far. It does have a tendency to pitch up power off or with a gusty tailwind. Power-on, it's dandy.
roidspop is offline Find More Posts by roidspop
Old Jun 21, 2016, 02:09 PM
Joined Mar 2009
8 Posts
autogyro g2 C ofG

mine seems to balance under the rotor head. I assume you lads are testing for balance with the craft inverted. So with 2 replies the balance point seems to be halfway between the mast and the battery hatch and underneath the rotor head. If you lads have a manual what does it say in there. Mine when i bought it had a 3s 1000mah in addition to the 3s 1300mah and it balanced approx 10mm behind the front of the mast. The 3s 1000mah was to power led lights on the mast and motor bay (for orientation )
Old Jun 21, 2016, 04:58 PM
Joined Jul 2014
212 Posts
Hi Paul

Manual showed C of G just in front of the motor mast balanced inverted .

Mine also had the tendency to pitch up under power which is why I moved it a few mil forward . This has now cured this and it climbs gently under power whish is in line with the rest of my fleet of 13 gyros.

Graham
Old Jun 22, 2016, 12:32 PM
Joined Mar 2009
8 Posts
Thanks for your replies. I can't understand how you have got the balance point so far forward. With the recommended battery a 3s 1300mah mine balances pretty much under the rotor head which is probably 20 + mm behind your c of g. Have you put a load of ballast up front to achieve your balance point????? and what would happen if i try to fly mine with such a rearward c of g WOW you are the gyro man 13 gyros you should buy one more as 13 is unlucky.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 04:59 PM
Joined Jul 2014
212 Posts
Paul see post 3

With your current C of G it is likely the auto g will be difficult to fly straight and level and just climb steeply with any power on which will also cause problems in turns. A rearward CG is bad news on a gyro and usually results in only one flight !!

Graham
Old Jun 23, 2016, 04:35 AM
Joined Mar 2009
8 Posts
Thanks for your reply Graham. I will balance mine forward like yours. Why do durafly make these gyros so out of balance off the shelf they are supposed to be PNP . You would expect to plug in your receiver and battery and the model to balance to within a few mm of the c of g.
I will have a go at flying mine and post how i faired!!!!!!!!!

Paul
Old Jun 23, 2016, 07:53 AM
Joined Mar 2009
8 Posts
Hi i've just balanced my gyro to the front of the mast it has taken a load of weight probably 3 or 4 oz. But i just had a thought why it's taken so much weight. i have AJ blades fitted which i guess are a lot heavier than the stock foam/depron blades. I guess that the heavier blades pulling down on the rotor point which is rearwards of the balance point. Is now making the craft tail heavy . I forgot to mention it also has the cast/cnc aluminium rotorhead fitted wich is probably heavier than the plastic original .The only thing is now the model is a lot heavier and will need more power=less flight time. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Paul
Old Jun 23, 2016, 06:33 PM
Find More Posts by roidspop
Joined Apr 2005
1,062 Posts
Not to confuse the issue, but when I changed over to the MIA delta plate, the first flight was a wild scramble to keep it out of the dirt...the trim had gone from neutral to strongly pitch down without any change in the CG. It finally came through to me that the blades were set so their pitch angle was a few degrees lower than it had been with the original head. I managed to correct this with shims of the proper thickness...problem solved without changing weight distribution at all.
roidspop is offline Find More Posts by roidspop
Old Jun 24, 2016, 11:22 AM
Joined Mar 2009
8 Posts
Mine has a fiberglass ( i think) delta plate fitted and the neg pitch is built into the blades. The best thing i can do is try and get it off the ground and see what happens ???? . unless you know differently !!!

Paul
Old Jun 24, 2016, 03:15 PM
Joined Jul 2014
212 Posts
Paul

Mine also flies with a 0.8mm epoxy/glassfibre plate and from memory trim was just about the same as with the original head .

Try it and see - short hops first and don't forget to make sure the rotors are fully up to speed before lift off or it will pitch violently to the left.

Remember, use a little aileron to bank into a turn and then use rudder to maintain the turn using opposite aileron to control the bank and exit.

Good luck

Graham
Old Jun 25, 2016, 11:47 AM
Joined Mar 2009
8 Posts
Thanks Graham
Its a bit too windy today but i will try tomorrow if the wind drops.

Paul
Old Jun 28, 2016, 03:03 PM
Find More Posts by bilzin
Wiltshire
Joined Feb 2009
11 Posts
Manual Mistake Surely ?

Just started to build mine and noticed that the build manual recommends a cg point that is 22 cm forward of the mast centre...
what, I say what ?

Something lost in translation there, surely ?
bilzin is offline Find More Posts by bilzin