New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 18, 2016, 08:05 AM
Find More Posts by Tango Juliet
Returning From Hiatus
Mobile, AL
Joined Aug 2006
1,619 Posts
Help!
Detailing an APC or MA Propeller for Scale?

I'm interested in learning the best approach to detailing an APC or Master Airscrew propeller to provide a more scale appearance, whether it be shiny metal, painted for color, or just various tip markings. In the same vein, what about detailing a wood prop? I know there are some already commercially available wood props for WWI and Civilian scale, but not in the smaller diameters.

Explain your process and provide photos if you can please. Thanks in advance.
Tango Juliet is offline Find More Posts by Tango Juliet
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 18, 2016, 09:26 AM
Find More Posts by buzzltyr
Obviously I'm a "Minus Member"
USA, MA, Longmeadow
Joined Jun 2003
1,906 Posts
Pat Tritle has discussed painting scale props in many of his build threads. He has put the basics of what he does here:
http://www.patscustom-models.com/pai...caleprops.html

Mark
buzzltyr is online now Find More Posts by buzzltyr
Old Mar 18, 2016, 10:19 AM
Find More Posts by Tango Juliet
Returning From Hiatus
Mobile, AL
Joined Aug 2006
1,619 Posts
That's a start. Thanks.
Tango Juliet is offline Find More Posts by Tango Juliet
Old Mar 30, 2016, 11:44 AM
Find More Posts by E-Challenged
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
14,178 Posts
Recommend whatever method you use, save the scale prop for display and use stock props for flying. I once did a fairly decent job of applying chrome Monokote to a wooden prop and adding a tiny prop manufacturer's label and painting the tips to match the scale model. You can scrub chrome Monokote with Scotchbrite pad before applying with the iron, to dull the mirror finsh if wanted.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged