Thread Tools
Old Feb 02, 2016, 01:35 PM
SirRexAlot is online now
Find More Posts by SirRexAlot
Registered User
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Jun 2013
1,373 Posts
Discussion
ESC efficiency and performance testing?

Is there a big difference in efficiency or performance between ESCs? Is anyone testing these? If so I can't find it searching.
SirRexAlot is online now Find More Posts by SirRexAlot
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2016, 07:51 PM
vollrathd is online now
Find More Posts by vollrathd
Registered User
vollrathd's Avatar
United States, WI, Racine
Joined Jan 2007
3,523 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirRexAlot View Post
Is there a big difference in efficiency or performance between ESCs? Is anyone testing these? If so I can't find it searching.
I wouldn't think there would be much difference between different mfg ESC's, assuming they've been programmed with the same timing and so on.

As an example, I've got a Talon 120 Amp HV unit from Castle Creations. That ESC is capable of handling over 5000 watts. If that ESC had only 80% efficiency, it would have to be able to get rid of 1000 Watts internally. I guessing they all run over 90% efficiency.
vollrathd is online now Find More Posts by vollrathd
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 03, 2016, 04:38 AM
Ron van Sommeren is offline
Find More Posts by Ron van Sommeren
homo ludens modellisticus
Ron van Sommeren's Avatar
Netherlands, GE, Nijmegen
Joined Feb 2001
13,610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirRexAlot View Post
Is there a big difference in efficiency or performance between ESCs? Is anyone testing these? If so I can't find it searching.
Motorlosses are (much) higher than controllerlosses.

Vriendelijke groeten Ron
Ron van Sommeren is offline Find More Posts by Ron van Sommeren
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 05, 2016, 02:53 PM
SirRexAlot is online now
Find More Posts by SirRexAlot
Registered User
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Jun 2013
1,373 Posts
I'm talking about being able to get all the available power in the battery to the motor. There could be poorly designed ESCs that only deliver 80% of the available power to the motor no matter what. It might not be burning off the other 20%, it simply doesn't get there. Like having a softball behind the gas pedal in your car; it still runs fine, it just won't go as fast as it could.
SirRexAlot is online now Find More Posts by SirRexAlot
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 05, 2016, 04:25 PM
vollrathd is online now
Find More Posts by vollrathd
Registered User
vollrathd's Avatar
United States, WI, Racine
Joined Jan 2007
3,523 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirRexAlot View Post
I'm talking about being able to get all the available power in the battery to the motor. There could be poorly designed ESCs that only deliver 80% of the available power to the motor no matter what. It might not be burning off the other 20%, it simply doesn't get there. Like having a softball behind the gas pedal in your car; it still runs fine, it just won't go as fast as it could.
These ESC's have to be very efficient. If they were not, the required heat sinks to keep the electronics cool would be 50 times the size of what is actually being used.

As Ron points out, if maximum efficiency is the intent, much better to spend your $$$$ for a more efficient motor, not for the ESC.
vollrathd is online now Find More Posts by vollrathd
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 05, 2016, 05:04 PM
manuel v is online now
Find More Posts by manuel v
Registered User
manuel v's Avatar
Mexico, BC, Mexicali
Joined Aug 2004
5,992 Posts
I've seen differences between different brands, being more noticeable when you use one of much greater capacity than necessary.
Very easy to check.
It uses a single motor, propeller same, same battery and several ESC.
Try full throttle and after about 20 seconds reading takes Volts, ampere and rpm.

then allowed to cool the motor and try another ESC, ensures that the voltage to make your measurement is the same.


Do not forget to share your results.
manuel v is online now Find More Posts by manuel v
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 05, 2016, 10:12 PM
SirRexAlot is online now
Find More Posts by SirRexAlot
Registered User
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Jun 2013
1,373 Posts
I know how to test them myself, I'm just wondering if someone has already done it so I don't have to buy one of 10 different ESCs.
SirRexAlot is online now Find More Posts by SirRexAlot
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 06, 2016, 04:47 AM
Ron van Sommeren is offline
Find More Posts by Ron van Sommeren
homo ludens modellisticus
Ron van Sommeren's Avatar
Netherlands, GE, Nijmegen
Joined Feb 2001
13,610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirRexAlot View Post
... It might not be burning off the other 20%, it simply doesn't get there. Like having a softball behind the gas pedal in your car; it still runs fine, it just won't go as fast as it could.
But that has no link with efficiency.
The power switching FETs can be 100% on, time-wise and resistance-wise, switching between veryverylow resistance and infenite resistance. Nothing can be gained.

Prettig weekend Ron
Ron van Sommeren is offline Find More Posts by Ron van Sommeren
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 06, 2016, 11:25 AM
SirRexAlot is online now
Find More Posts by SirRexAlot
Registered User
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Jun 2013
1,373 Posts
That's why I'm asking about both "efficiency and performance" testing.

I have a race quad that I want to have every ounce of performance I can get, even at the expense of efficiency. My AP rig I want to be efficient and float in the air for as long as possible to get the shot, I'm not very concerned with performance.
SirRexAlot is online now Find More Posts by SirRexAlot
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 06, 2016, 11:45 AM
vollrathd is online now
Find More Posts by vollrathd
Registered User
vollrathd's Avatar
United States, WI, Racine
Joined Jan 2007
3,523 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirRexAlot View Post
That's why I'm asking about both "efficiency and performance" testing.

I have a race quad that I want to have every ounce of performance I can get, even at the expense of efficiency. My AP rig I want to be efficient and float in the air for as long as possible to get the shot, I'm not very concerned with performance.
IMHO, the ESC timing adjustments would have a greater effect on either going faster, or flying longer.

Here is where a Wattmeter and a tach will be quite useful.
vollrathd is online now Find More Posts by vollrathd
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 06, 2016, 10:00 PM
manuel v is online now
Find More Posts by manuel v
Registered User
manuel v's Avatar
Mexico, BC, Mexicali
Joined Aug 2004
5,992 Posts
I decided to do the test.

Take A new motor
Easy Turnigy 450-1050Kv a match.

My first test was unloaded.
11.8V, 12,315 Kv, 1.02a, for Kv / V of 1043.

First test with an ESC for Hobby King 20A UBEC.
These are the results with a propeller APCE 10x5.

11.01V, 8436rpm, 15.07A, 166W, 79.2% effy.
10.99V, 8503rpm, 15.01A, 165W, 81.3% effy.

second with a Castle lite 75A,

11.01V, 8571rpm, 15.56A, 171W, 80.7% effy.
11.01V, 8640rpm, 15.50A, 171W, 83.2% effy.

Third test with ESC unbranded of a Foam Jet 45A.

11.01V, 8640rpm, 16.34A, 180W, 78.9% effy.
10.99V, 8710rpm, 16.22A, 178W, 81.6% effy.

Said he did not know the timing of each of the ESC used.

On the other hand, I am very surprised at the performance of this motor. the temperature never rose to 90F in any of the tests.
manuel v is online now Find More Posts by manuel v
Last edited by manuel v; Feb 06, 2016 at 11:09 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 08, 2016, 04:07 PM
SirRexAlot is online now
Find More Posts by SirRexAlot
Registered User
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Jun 2013
1,373 Posts
How did you determine efficiency?
SirRexAlot is online now Find More Posts by SirRexAlot
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 08, 2016, 04:25 PM
manuel v is online now
Find More Posts by manuel v
Registered User
manuel v's Avatar
Mexico, BC, Mexicali
Joined Aug 2004
5,992 Posts
with drive calculator software. in tools.
http://www.drivecalc.de/

Propeller, RPM, Watts in.
manuel v is online now Find More Posts by manuel v
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 08, 2016, 06:10 PM
SirRexAlot is online now
Find More Posts by SirRexAlot
Registered User
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Jun 2013
1,373 Posts
Cool thanks. Looks like I have another program to learn.

Those efficiency ratings are all pretty close. I might start to look into it at 5%, but those are all 1%-2% and that's good enough.
SirRexAlot is online now Find More Posts by SirRexAlot
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 08, 2016, 06:44 PM
vollrathd is online now
Find More Posts by vollrathd
Registered User
vollrathd's Avatar
United States, WI, Racine
Joined Jan 2007
3,523 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirRexAlot View Post
Cool thanks. Looks like I have another program to learn.

.
There are a number of very good electric power programs out there. The one I use is www.motocalc.com, free for 30 days, then $39.

www.motocalc.com
vollrathd is online now Find More Posts by vollrathd
Reply With Quote


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Data ESC Performance Testing Database QuadMcFly Multirotor Power Systems 2371 Today 03:01 AM
Question Can an esc's performance be tested by a method other than connecting a motor? BenSud Multirotor Electronics 5 May 26, 2016 05:14 AM
Discussion Mini Quad Brushless vs Brushed Performance, Efficiency, Durability Nola1 Mini Multirotors 10 Feb 12, 2016 06:58 PM
Discussion [Tutorial+product launch] Motor and propeller efficiency testing with a dynamometer Charles.Blouin Multirotor Power Systems 3 Nov 19, 2015 02:02 PM
Discussion Efficiency test results... EddieWeeks Multirotor Talk 0 Nov 01, 2015 11:15 PM