HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:51 PM
Radio? Screwdriver!
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Aug 2011
962 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.T. View Post
Simplistic and confusing to those who have not worked within the industry "office".
Will not bring up past posts on the subject at this time, but factory overheads and distribution costs
do add a very much greater cost than the components.

Alan T.
The question was on manufacturing costs and the pricing was a generalisation yes, but it not simplistic at all. It won't cost more than $1.55 extra to put the LNA and RF matching circuit on the board. Anyway, the factory overheads and distribution costs will be very similar between the 6S and 6T as the weight/size/packing/etc are nearly identical, only leaving the build cost to be the difference. The setup costs will be similar as again they're the same size/part count/etc/etc - but as they're using the same case then the plastic tooling will already have been paid for, reducing a significant chunk of upfront costs. Ok, Hitec may decide to produce less, so MOQ on the components/PCB/other parts/etc will change - but I'd imagine they're intending to sell a lot of these and similar levels to the 6T. Also as the part count is most certainly shared for the majority of components, if they're producing the same quantities of each 6T and 6S then those build costs will drop too.

Personally, I wouldn't have removed the LNA on a cheaper receiver design, I'd rather remove one of the antennas (and the RF switch) and go for a single wire. The range would be greater, receiver lighter but the build cost lower (those UFL connectors and antennas aren't that cheap).

But at the end of the day, its Hitec's marketing strategy and I'm sure they have put a lot of thought into if they think it will sell. Being cheaper and a OEM receiver, no doubt it will sell and probably be a successful product. Just people need to be aware of the limitations.....

HOWEVER, I'm not sure if its a good idea to use the same size, style between a full range and a park flyer range receiver. Visually the only notable difference between the two appears to be it marked 6S, rather than 6T/6E. Now this font is quite small and I fear that some of the older generation may miss this little difference when picking a receiver out of their 'spares' box in the future. So this may end up in entirely unsuitable models...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo17 View Post
Hey Simon,

Loving your technical posts, something that was lacking in this forum, you know stuff that rcmodelreviews could not answer...

Do you have any info on:
-sensitivity of the optima rx's?
-the ceramic bandpass filter/s in the optima rx's

Thanks
Bingo
Hard to say without knowing part numbers. Many of the small surface mount components markings don't make it clear what their model is, so thus making the spec difficult to determine.

However I know that the Hitec Protocol runs at 250kBaud with MSK modulation. The CC2500 datasheet states that the sensitivity in this mode is -89dBm. Now add the LNA, using the previous one as an example, you'll get -117dBm. But then subtract some from filter + pcb + rf antenna cable losses, you're probably looking at around the -115dBm mark.

However sensitivity isn't the only factor, as different modulation schemes can change it, antenna gain, transmit power, etc, etc.

Si.
SimonChambers is offline Find More Posts by SimonChambers
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:09 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,376 Posts
It always seemed like the more logical price point for the 6E and 6T would have been about $35. Smaller yes but you sacrifice the wide input voltage and the SPC port which should be reflected properly in the price. If they had done that there would be no need for the 6S.

I can only conclude that the 6S is supposed to compete with the Spektrum AR400 but hitting $30 or even $35 with the 6E and 6T would blow away the Spektrum offering. I don't really see the 6S as a competing product to the AR400.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:15 PM
Radio? Screwdriver!
Joined Aug 2011
962 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimbeaver View Post
It always seemed like the more logical price point for the 6E and 6T would have been about $35. Smaller yes but you sacrifice the wide input voltage and the SPC port which should be reflected properly in the price. If they had done that there would be no need for the 6S.

I can only conclude that the 6S is supposed to compete with the Spektrum AR400 but hitting $30 or even $35 with the 6E and 6T would blow away the Spektrum offering. I don't really see the 6S as a competing product to the AR400.
AR400 is full range too, no?

They should have hit the $21 to $23 price point for a full range receiver! Teehehee

Si.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:35 PM
USA, CA, Pismo Beach
Joined Oct 2007
1,397 Posts
Try to be nice, Si.
Greywing is offline Find More Posts by Greywing
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:53 PM
Radio? Screwdriver!
Joined Aug 2011
962 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greywing View Post
Try to be nice, Si.
Sorry

I'm really looking forward to see what Hitec is going to bring with their new Radio! I personally can't see how they can improve it. Apart from maybe more channels, sequencing and to keep the naysayers quiet, lower latency. Oh and fix those telemetry bugs and issues...

I hope they don't put a colour screen on it. I've yet to see a colour screen that looks good outside, without honking the power to light it.

Si.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:13 PM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
8,546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonChambers View Post
Sorry

I'm really looking forward to see what Hitec is going to bring with their new Radio! I personally can't see how they can improve it. Apart from maybe more channels, sequencing and to keep the naysayers quiet, lower latency. Oh and fix those telemetry bugs and issues...

I hope they don't put a colour screen on it. I've yet to see a colour screen that looks good outside, without honking the power to light it.

Si.
Jeez if you love honkus!
JohnathanSwift is offline Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:59 AM
USA, CA, Pismo Beach
Joined Oct 2007
1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonChambers View Post
Sorry

Si.
I quite agree. I love new technology but I reeeeealy love usability and the A9 system is just great. Not perfect mind you, but great.
Greywing is offline Find More Posts by Greywing
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:16 AM
How close are those trees?
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Apr 2008
1,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greywing View Post
I quite agree. I love new technology but I reeeeealy love usability and the A9 system is just great. Not perfect mind you, but great.
+1

Switched over from JR last year. No regrets!!
Goody63 is online now Find More Posts by Goody63
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:46 AM
Joined May 2009
31 Posts
upgrade 6S Rx with balun antennas?

Daft question probably, but will swapping in a pair of FRSKY balun antennas to the 6S Rc make any difference to the range?
chippypilot is offline Find More Posts by chippypilot
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:45 AM
Radio? Screwdriver!
Joined Aug 2011
962 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chippypilot View Post
Daft question probably, but will swapping in a pair of FRSKY balun antennas to the 6S Rc make any difference to the range?
If the 6S antennas are anything like the 6T/6E antennas then no, they already have the dipole sleeve on the end.

Si.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:37 PM
USA, MI, Oxford
Joined Apr 2007
84 Posts
If you don't like the Hitec offering go buy Futaba and pay twice the price!
Maybe you should shop at Hobby King!! Then cry when you when your Plane goes in!
KenCz is online now Find More Posts by KenCz
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:18 AM
Arcee Moron
The Netherlands
Joined Jun 2012
919 Posts

Well.. I've just placed my Aurora 9 order @ Airtek UK.
Could not resist that paypal button any longer ..

266,18 EUR with shipping to the Netherlands.

Now I sortoff do NOT hope Hitec will anounce a kickass Tx that allready will be available in a few weeks

Only problem will be the UK charger, but as I understand I can use my Optic 6 Sport charger with a simple adapter, or just use a Lipo/Life battery.

For the moment I hope I can use my charger..
If going Lipo/Life: any suggestions what to buy?
Justapoke is offline Find More Posts by Justapoke
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:23 AM
Arcee Moron
The Netherlands
Joined Jun 2012
919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenCz View Post
If you don't like the Hitec offering go buy Futaba and pay twice the price!
Maybe you should shop at Hobby King!! Then cry when you when your Plane goes in!
What's wrong with Hobby King?
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:33 AM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
7,012 Posts
sells junk and does not stand behind their products.

Although they did help to start the affordable Lipo revolution
YellowJacketsRC is offline Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:51 AM
Arcee Moron
The Netherlands
Joined Jun 2012
919 Posts
It's not all junk.. I've placed around 40 orders now, just read the reviews and pick the good stuff. They have a lot.

Only had one problem with a soldering iron station that was DOA, recieved a full refund (even more than I payed) and didn't even have to send it back.

I'm very happy with Hobbyking.

- edit: sorry for going offtopic -
Last edited by Justapoke; Jan 26, 2013 at 01:52 AM. Reason: Offtopic