HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:18 AM
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Aug 2012
1,064 Posts
Mine came with a 50A ESC and I replaced it with a 50A Castle Creations ESC.
jwellsy is online now Find More Posts by jwellsy
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:15 AM
Corona, CA
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Oct 2011
376 Posts
Mine came with a 50 and it's still flying with it.

I got one that works.
P 51 Jockey is offline Find More Posts by P 51 Jockey
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Hanger 9 Miss America 67"
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:36 AM
Exceeds the speed of foam
United States, PA, Pittsburgh
Joined Dec 2010
50 Posts
Ditto. Mine works fine too.
JoFi is offline Find More Posts by JoFi
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:10 AM
United States, OH, Troy
Joined Jun 2004
240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylane42 View Post
Got my Waco all done but won`t be flying anytime soon. Question, did anyone figure out a cure or reason for the stuttering on slow start up on the stock esc and motor? Mine does stutter if I give just a slight bit of throttle but if I just go to like 1/8 throttle it does not show up...

Thanks
Did yours have the extra circuit board between the receiver and ESC like the picture I posted? Mine worked fine through the whole sweep of the throttle. I've flown several times with no issues.

Steve
e_gadgetgeek is offline Find More Posts by e_gadgetgeek
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:55 AM
United States, SC, Greenville
Joined Jun 2011
253 Posts
Earlier in the thread someone posted 31amps - 450 watts with stock prop.

Got me wondering now though... I thought the ESC was 40amp. Will check tonight and put a watt meter on it.

Norm
Norm62 is offline Find More Posts by Norm62
Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:03 PM
Scale Foam Flyer
United States, AR, Cabot
Joined Oct 2007
2,966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm62 View Post
Earlier in the thread someone posted 31amps - 450 watts with stock prop.

Got me wondering now though... I thought the ESC was 40amp. Will check tonight and put a watt meter on it.

Norm
I'm not sure if I am reading the intent of your comment correctly, so please don't be offended, but: The ESC being rated at 40 amps does not mean that the motor/battery/prop combo is going to pull that many amps. It just means that the ESC is rated to withstand that much amp draw. Sometimes people get into the mindset that the ESC is "providing" amps to the motor, which is just not true.

-Cub
Cubcrazy is online now Find More Posts by Cubcrazy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Carbon Z Cub Floats are here!!
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:01 PM
United States, SC, Greenville
Joined Jun 2011
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubcrazy View Post
I'm not sure if I am reading the intent of your comment correctly, so please don't be offended, but: The ESC being rated at 40 amps does not mean that the motor/battery/prop combo is going to pull that many amps. It just means that the ESC is rated to withstand that much amp draw. Sometimes people get into the mindset that the ESC is "providing" amps to the motor, which is just not true.

-Cub
Understood. I just meant I thought my ESC was 40A, not 50A as the prior poster mentioned. I haven't been home to check, but the ad at Grayson where I purchased it ( http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...np-p-1899.html ) says 40A. So I'm wondering if they changed it in the latest batch or if the ad is wrong.

Norm
Norm62 is offline Find More Posts by Norm62
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:29 AM
North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
2,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm62 View Post
Understood. I just meant I thought my ESC was 40A, not 50A as the prior poster mentioned. I haven't been home to check, but the ad at Grayson where I purchased it ( http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...np-p-1899.html ) says 40A. So I'm wondering if they changed it in the latest batch or if the ad is wrong.

Norm
That's what I have been wondering. Mfg website says it comes equipped with a 40 amp as well as NP and every other vendor selling it. Mine came with a 50 amp that went up in smoke on about the 6th flight. Just curious that some came with 40 and some came with 50 amp esc's? I put a 45 amp back in mine. I need to put my watt meter on it to see what it's actually pulling. The 50 amp esc seems like overkill to me. I am starting to think they had excessive 50 amp controller inventory and they threw them in a bunch of models in the first batch? I will say that this is the first failure I have had with any Dynam electronics in the last several years.
sj3cub is offline Find More Posts by sj3cub
Old Nov 17, 2012, 02:43 PM
United States, TX, Johnson City
Joined Mar 2005
1,091 Posts
I do not want this thread to die, this is one of, if not the best flying model I have ever owned (and I have 16 models) and at $129.00 an unbelievable value. Yes there has been some problems with the ESC but I replaced mine and have had nothing but fun. Very easy and relaxing to fly, presents very well in the air and just a ball to fly. I have another on order and will reprint and do other custom work. Besides replacing the ESC I was unhappy with the stiff, hard really narrow wheels so I replaced them with Dave Brown low bounce foam wheels
Don't let this one get away

Ken Smith
Be Safe
Ken Smith is online now Find More Posts by Ken Smith
Old Nov 17, 2012, 02:50 PM
United States, OH, Troy
Joined Jun 2004
240 Posts
I will help keep it going. We got lucky here in Ohio and I got the opportunity to go out and fly mine today. I took my 10 year old daughter with me and the buddy box to give her a chance to try her hand at flying. She did pretty good for her first time and this model help by being a slow easy flyer. When she was done I tried my hand at a little fast aerobatic flying. This model does both great. I love the take offs and landings. Planning on going back out in a little bit once the battery is charged back up. That was my only mistake. Buying only one battery. Still get long flight times on it.

Steve
e_gadgetgeek is offline Find More Posts by e_gadgetgeek
Old Nov 17, 2012, 05:23 PM
United States, AZ, Camp Verde
Joined Jan 2007
1,299 Posts
I take this plane with me every time I go to the club field. I just love the way this plane just floats along at 1/2 throttle. I sometimes kick it up to full throttle and do a couple of rolls and loops and it does them quite nicely. I get more positive comments about this plane than any other plane in my hanger.

Terry
krazyman is offline Find More Posts by krazyman
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:08 PM
United States, TX, Johnson City
Joined Mar 2005
1,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyman View Post
I take this plane with me every time I go to the club field. I just love the way this plane just floats along at 1/2 throttle. I sometimes kick it up to full throttle and do a couple of rolls and loops and it does them quite nicely. I get more positive comments about this plane than any other plane in my hanger.

Terry
Yes I too love to do loops, I like to fly it straight at me at about 45-50 feet high then just as it gets to me start the loop, as it comes over cut the power looks so scale. I fly at 1/2 throttle at most go to 3/4 I think at full throttle you do go faster but mostly just burn up energy.
Had a beautiful day and was able to fly 7 batteries or 1 hour and 10 minutes of flying would have done more but ran out of sunshine
Ken Smith
Be Safe
Ken Smith is online now Find More Posts by Ken Smith
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:38 AM
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Aug 2012
1,064 Posts
If no one else is in the pattern, I like to do real long shallow takoffs into an emileman turn (half loop then half roll).
jwellsy is online now Find More Posts by jwellsy
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:59 PM
United States, UT, Magna
Joined Nov 2011
64 Posts
Waco Cowling

Is the cowling held on by magnets. Have only had a couple of minutes to look at mine and was just curious. When you replaced the ESC did you remove the lead with the circuit board and leave it out??
chardman is offline Find More Posts by chardman
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:18 AM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jan 2007
1,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chardman View Post
Is the cowling held on by magnets. Have only had a couple of minutes to look at mine and was just curious. When you replaced the ESC did you remove the lead with the circuit board and leave it out??
Magnets, I added some clear packing tape near windshield cut through it first time and now use a smaller bit of tape on either side leaving original in place.
Keeps paint in tact. I learned hard way on Pitts, even with clear coat the tape pulled paint off. Learned this from UM guys.
Tim
w4yn is online now Find More Posts by w4yn