SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 23, 2012, 06:21 PM
Pro Builder
United States, FL, Englewood
Joined Feb 2012
217 Posts
Build Log
ESM Skywagon2 Electric Build.

Well after Stepping away from flying for a bit I find my self getting back into it. This is going to be my First BIG Build as most every thing i flown before was Glow about 40size and some helicopters.

I'm Going to be Building The ESM Skywagon. I'm not sure what size ESC or Battery i will be needing yet. I know i'm going to go with a 160 size Electric motor.

Servos are still unknown right now Please Stay Tuned and Feel free to post Comments and Questions. Should be doing a Un boxing tomorrow or Saturday.
tim.arf is offline Find More Posts by tim.arf
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2012, 07:10 AM
Pro Builder
Joined Feb 2012
217 Posts
Any one know 8s or 10s setup for this plane? i know it prob depends on motor.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 02:51 PM
USA, SC, Easley
Joined Sep 2009
481 Posts
I used a Monsterpower 160, same specs as the Eflite, on 10S 5000mah, 100amp Turnigy ESC and Xoar 21X10E prop at around 60amps peak. Would probably use the CC HV80 instead but this set up worked well for me. I recommended this set up to a friend of mine who is using it in a Top Flite Stenson GS with very good results though he used an APC 20X11E prop. He measured 22lbs of thrust, don't think he measured amps. Hope this helps.
yellowbird2800 is offline Find More Posts by yellowbird2800
Old Feb 24, 2012, 08:04 PM
Pro Builder
Joined Feb 2012
217 Posts
Yes it Does. Thanks. Its a Starting Point. I think i will Stay away for the CC HV Series A lot of guys are having issues with them in helicopters Looking Forward to this Build. I will Be Cracking the Box tomorrow.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 07:22 PM
Pro Builder
Joined Feb 2012
217 Posts
Well i did get some work done today on the plane. I got the Box Opened up and My Elevator and ailerons Hinges Glued into place. Any one have Any Pics of Where they are mounting the battery's in the plane? I have 2 5s 4400MAH Packs That are going into it. Here is a Pic Of the Fuse. I would have gotten more done but i ended up going to a Local Fun fly. I want to use some kind of Strong Magnets to hold the top hatch on and the front window. Has any one Done this before?
Old Feb 26, 2012, 01:06 AM
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,420 Posts
I haven't done it on that particular plane but I do use rare earth magnets on all my planes for hatches, cowls, canopies, etc.
Here is a great place to acquire rare earth magnets in just about any size or shape you might need.

https://www.kjmagnetics.com/
Herman Munster is offline Find More Posts by Herman Munster
Old Feb 26, 2012, 02:18 AM
Joined Jul 2004
2,595 Posts
Hi Tim I put one of these together a couple of years back with a DLE 50cc petrol motor fitted, just a little bit of overkill but it was heaps of fun and towed gliders really well.
A couple of things I changed on mine for convenience was to mount hitech 125mg servos inside each elevator half and make the tailplanes removable wrather than glue them on. I added an incidence peg to each stab and used a self tapping screw through each stab tube tapped into the tube. and glued my windows in with Silicone adhesive. My top hatch had a locating tab at the front and two Graupner canopy tatches at the back to hold the hatch down. I also scrapped the non scale tail wheel for a leaf spring cub style that hangs under the tail cone like the real one and threw the standard wheels away in favour of 4 1/4 dubro pumpups as the hubs on the standard ones collaps.
Overall the model flies great definately worth the effort.
Big Nuts 181 is offline Find More Posts by Big Nuts 181
Old Feb 26, 2012, 07:52 AM
Pro Builder
Joined Feb 2012
217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman Munster View Post
I haven't done it on that particular plane but I do use rare earth magnets on all my planes for hatches, cowls, canopies, etc.
Here is a great place to acquire rare earth magnets in just about any size or shape you might need.

https://www.kjmagnetics.com/

Thanks for the Link. Book Marked it for sure! Here are the ones i was thinking about
https://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=D301

Let me know what you think. I'm guessing i might need Bigger
Old Feb 26, 2012, 10:30 AM
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim.arf View Post
Thanks for the Link. Book Marked it for sure! Here are the ones i was thinking about
https://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=D301

Let me know what you think. I'm guessing i might need Bigger
Those are way too small.

I like to use these
https://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddeta...?prod=B842-N52

and these
https://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddeta...prod=BX082-N52
Old Feb 26, 2012, 03:35 PM
Pro Builder
Joined Feb 2012
217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman Munster View Post

Those are a Little Thicker than i wanted to use. Can you post a pic of how you mounted them? I'm Dealing with a Fiberglass Fuse and Cowl. Pics would be great!
Old Feb 26, 2012, 04:49 PM
Pro Builder
Joined Feb 2012
217 Posts
On Another Note I'm Looking at the manual. And it Looks like the Two Wing Half's are Held together by a Rubber Band. I'm not liking the sound of that. Insted of using the 2 wooden Dowel Pins that it calls for Why not put a blind nut and just use a screw into the wing? Any one Have any idea on this?

Here is the link to the Manual
http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/ns/ma...A185-86BAF.pdf
Old Feb 26, 2012, 08:15 PM
Pro Builder
Joined Feb 2012
217 Posts
http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-mars-b...90a-combo.html

Any one try this combo? says16kg so the math Answer: 16 kg = 35.2739 lb
OR 35 lb and 4.38 oz

Does that even seem right?
Old Feb 26, 2012, 09:32 PM
USA, SC, Easley
Joined Sep 2009
481 Posts
770KV on 12S...and a 14 in prop for a 35lb model!!! Someone was not thinking when they posted those numbers.....IMO.
yellowbird2800 is offline Find More Posts by yellowbird2800
Old Feb 26, 2012, 10:31 PM
Pro Builder
Joined Feb 2012
217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbird2800 View Post
770KV on 12S...and a 14 in prop for a 35lb model!!! Someone was not thinking when they posted those numbers.....IMO.
That's why i was asking. lol. even at 10s it don't seem right.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 11:52 PM
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim.arf View Post
Those are a Little Thicker than i wanted to use. Can you post a pic of how you mounted them? I'm Dealing with a Fiberglass Fuse and Cowl. Pics would be great!
Here are some pics from my ESM Skyraider. It too has a fiberglass fuse and cowl. I used some 1" X 1/2" X 1/8" on the bottom and 1/2" X 1/4" X 1/8" on the top.