HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 30, 2011, 07:39 PM
United States, TX
Joined Aug 2011
76 Posts
Discussion
What to Grease or what not to grease

Santa brought me a BRAND NEW Align 550E V2.

I can start the build as soon as I get some answers to my questions.

Do I need to get all the bearings out of the head and other parts so I can grease them? They won't come out on their own. So if I need to grease all the bearings I will need to put them in the oven so I can remove them, right?

This goes for the rest of the heli too.

The blade grip thrust bearings have very little grease. Some but not much. The bearings in the head housing for the flybar need to come out also?

All info. will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

John
J.Avant is offline Find More Posts by J.Avant
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2011, 09:36 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2011
282 Posts
Awsome. I also got the align 550e v2 for x-mas. Wow I'm loving it. They made alot of really nice upgrades in this heli. To answer your question. No you dont need to take out any bearings. On my kit anyhow I could see that they were all pre-greased. even the thrust bearings. I literally just finished my build about two hours ago. I think this heli is going to become very popular. All the little things on the 500 and 600 align that would irk me have all been improved on in this 550 v2 kit. Simply an amazing machine. did you go fb or fbl ? I went with the fb.
Gemini-550 is offline Find More Posts by Gemini-550
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 30, 2011, 10:06 PM
United States, TX
Joined Aug 2011
76 Posts
I too went with the FB version. I'm moving up from a Align 450 pro.

I guess I'll start the build then.

Yes....this heli is very nice indeed.

Can't Waite to get it in the air. I'm still a long way off from any type of aerobatics though.

I was reading on some of the other forums people were removing bearings and greasing them while the heli was in pieces to make it easier. I purchased one of the GREASERS but I will grease bearings as they get replaced.

What electronics will be in your heli?

John
Old Dec 30, 2011, 10:22 PM
CO
Joined Sep 2005
93 Posts
I got one a few weeks ago as well. 550 FBL 3GX. I did not do any other greasing on anything above what was done at the factory. I am running a DX7 on mine with the two DSMX satellites. Batteries are 5300 Gens Ace from XHeli/ Hobbypartz.
I am still a long way off from aerobatics as well. I am hoping to fly mine in the next week or two.
ctyankee is offline Find More Posts by ctyankee
Old Dec 30, 2011, 10:44 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2011
282 Posts
We should make this the align v2 thread. ..electronics I went all align. gyro-gp780, cyclic servos-ds610's tail servo, ds650, Esc- align 70amp w/bec, Motor- 600 Mx. dx7 tx..For the rx I have a 8 chanl orange I was kinda saving for a scale build. But what the hey I put this in. Question.: Will it be fine to run this 550 with just the esc or should I add the cc pro 20 amp bec. ( i have that in my 600 ) but would really like to just run this off the align 70 amp esc...dependable and safe enough for this 550 ?
Gemini-550 is offline Find More Posts by Gemini-550
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 30, 2011, 10:51 PM
United States, TX
Joined Aug 2011
76 Posts
I was checking into the Gens ace lipos as well. I think they will be the best bang for the buck lipo.

I've picked up a few of the electronics when I find a good deal so this is what I have.

I have JR-9303H with R921 W/1sat., GY520 Gyro, BLS251 tail servo, Hitec 5965mg, stock BL600MX motor, CC ICE 100, stock main and tail blades.

And will take suggestions for better than what I have, components.

John
Old Dec 30, 2011, 10:53 PM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,510 Posts
Use grease in the thrust bearings, on the feathering shaft and one way bearing ONLY. You MUST take everything apart, grease the thrust bearings, apply grease on the feathering shaft (where it goes through the dampeners) and put thread locker on all metal-to-metal fasteners. Also put grease on the one way bearing. Remove any excessive amounts of grease that comes out as it would accumulate dust which will cause wear.

For any other sliding components use dry lubricant like Triflow or bike chain lubricant. It is advised not to use wet lubricants (oil) as it will attract and collect dust which causes wear.

Ivan
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 30, 2011, 10:55 PM
United States, TX
Joined Aug 2011
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini2die4 View Post
We should make this the align v2 thread. ..electronics I went all align. gyro-gp780, cyclic servos-ds610's tail servo, ds650, Esc- align 70amp w/bec, Motor- 600 Mx. dx7 tx..For the rx I have a 8 chanl orange I was kinda saving for a scale build. But what the hey I put this in. Question.: Will it be fine to run this 550 with just the esc or should I add the cc pro 20 amp bec. ( i have that in my 600 ) but would really like to just run this off the align 70 amp esc...dependable and safe enough for this 550 ?
I'm not sure on the bec that comes with that ESC. I think i would go with the CC pro bec. That's what I'm going with.

John
Old Dec 30, 2011, 10:58 PM
United States, TX
Joined Aug 2011
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanc View Post
Use grease in the thrust bearings, on the feathering shaft and one way bearing ONLY. You MUST take everything apart, grease the thrust bearings, apply grease on the feathering shaft (where it goes through the dampeners) and put thread locker on all metal-to-metal fasteners. Also put grease on the one way bearing. Remove any excessive amounts of grease that comes out as it would accumulate dust which will cause wear.

For any other sliding components use dry lubricant like Triflow or bike chain lubricant. It is advised not to use wet lubricants (oil) as it will attract and collect dust which causes wear.

Ivan
OK Ivan....That sounds like very good advice. I'm starting in the morning on my build.

John
Old Dec 31, 2011, 06:06 AM
CO
Joined Sep 2005
93 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Avant View Post
I'm not sure on the bec that comes with that ESC. I think i would go with the CC pro bec. That's what I'm going with.

John
Under the advice from a good number of folks at Helifreak, I wound up using the CC BEC pro. It seemed to me like a good idea after hearing of a few problems. Cheap insurance! I just got my batteries the other day from Xheli. They were cheaper than their sister company Hobbypartz but I had to pay shipping. It was able to go parts saver shipping which was 4.99 and I found an additional coupon on line for an additional 5% off! I think it came to 255 shipped for three of them which was 85 a piece landed on my door step!
ctyankee is offline Find More Posts by ctyankee
Old Jan 12, 2012, 12:05 AM
United States, TX
Joined Aug 2011
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanc View Post

Ivan
I'm glad you said to take everything apart, because there was no grease on the thrust bearings.

I've pretty much have it all together now. I had some good advice while building the 550 and it should turn out good. I just finished leveling the swash. now moving onto mounting the head and setting up the pitch.

Got 2 of the Gens Ace Today. Man that's a big battery. I'm use to a 2250 3 cell on my 450. I could probably start my car with the Gens Ace batts.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 12:15 AM
United States, TX
Joined Aug 2011
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctyankee View Post
I got one a few weeks ago as well. 550 FBL 3GX. I did not do any other greasing on anything above what was done at the factory. I am running a DX7 on mine with the two DSMX satellites. Batteries are 5300 Gens Ace from XHeli/ Hobbypartz.
I am still a long way off from aerobatics as well. I am hoping to fly mine in the next week or two.
Have you had a chance to try out the Gens Ace batts?
Old Nov 12, 2014, 03:22 AM
Joined Dec 2013
10 Posts
Can i use black graphite grease on thrust bearings?
_spike_ is offline Find More Posts by _spike_
Old Nov 12, 2014, 07:24 AM
Florida
Joined Nov 2004
6,629 Posts
Get Reel Butter from Outdoor World. Synthetic and clean. Only a couple bucks. Graphite makes a big mess.
Greybird is online now Find More Posts by Greybird