188 Posts
Discussion
Frsky problems

What are the general problems of this system? So far I read about:

1)the module goes bad after two hundred or more flights
2)guid issue
3)resistor issue
4)module pins need to be cleaned

My gas plane went into a failsafe today after 250 flights. I got control back after few seconds and was able to land. Range check after flight with engine running passed. Was able to reproduce the hickup at home once then cycled the system tens of times and no problems. I'm thinking it's either the gas power system, rx or tx module. My next step is to eliminate the tx module by flying a sailplane with 4ch rx. Then I'll try the gas rx on the sailplane. If they check out fine then it's the power system on the gas plane.

I have the one way futaba frsky system. No high voltage stuff. Using 6v nimh for the rx and 11.1v lipo in the tx. Tx voltage was 11.4v when plane went into failsafe. Futaba 8U tx can take up to 13v. 100 flights with no problems until now. Rx voltage was 6.6v or a bit lower in flight. This was the first glitch in so many trouble free flights on all of my three frsky system equipped planes.
FlyStraight is offline Find More Posts by FlyStraight
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 29, 2011, 12:42 AM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, QC, Quebec City
Joined Sep 2006
5,811 Posts
"the module goes bad after two hundred or more flights"
Is that a documented fact?
coriolan is offline Find More Posts by coriolan
Old Apr 29, 2011, 02:10 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,199 Posts
Same for guid issue... with only one report, it's more a myth.
What is resistor issue ?
Pin cleaning... valid for all if you replace the module frequently.
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Apr 29, 2011, 02:59 AM
United Arab Emirates, Dubai, Dubai
Joined Jul 2007
205 Posts
RENATOA - guid issue is not a myth. FrSky confirmed that no-telemetry system uses 16 bit long guid, randomly generated. That is 65000 combinations. Chances are you may meet sombody with the same guid. Very slim but real. Systems with telemetry use standard guid.
Leszek_K is offline Find More Posts by Leszek_K
Old Apr 29, 2011, 03:37 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,199 Posts
Thank you to signal me, wasn't aware there is an official Frsky info on this subject.
Ok, at the 20 units daily sales at HK, this is ten years required to empty this pool
And, as I wrote last week in the main Frsky thread, I have sighn that V8 line will be discontinued soon. JR modules already are out.
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Apr 29, 2011, 05:21 AM
Joined Jul 2007
205 Posts
Allocation is random, so it actually happened. There was a report of 2 sets running on the same guid in UK. Once. But - is it significant? No. Still a very good system.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 05:40 AM
Joined Nov 2007
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leszek_K View Post
Allocation is random, so it actually happened. There was a report of 2 sets running on the same guid in UK. Once. But - is it significant? No. Still a very good system.
The problem occurred in New Zealand. I've not heard of it happening anywhere else.
Lplus is offline Find More Posts by Lplus
Old Apr 29, 2011, 11:36 AM
Joined Sep 2006
188 Posts
Someone else had his module go bad after two hundred flights. Just trying to get some feedback from users about possible problems. I do not know what caused my system to go into failsafe but I'm trouble shooting it now. I love the system and want to buy more rx's but first I need to narrow down the problem and see if it's wide spread before I invest into frsky again. They might have used bad caps, etc. to cause the system to malfunction after a while, I don't know. Most stuff coming from china seems to be using substandard components, they work for a while but stop working eventually. Hope it's not the case here because I like the frsky system and want to use it for many more years.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 12:22 PM
Joined Jul 2007
205 Posts
Every piece of electronics can go wrong. Real problem is that big names sweep it under a carpet, small names are in a news. After all, most of RC equipment is made in China.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 03:39 PM
Sunday flyer
Gdansk, Poland
Joined Aug 2007
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyStraight View Post
Someone else had his module go bad after two hundred flights.
There was an issue with early versions that did not provide a diode in the PPM line; If the TX was driving the PPM line to a voltage higher than 3.3V (typically, to TX pack voltage) the MCU in TX module could possibly die with time due to the damage of it's input protection.

Michal
mikon is offline Find More Posts by mikon
Old May 01, 2011, 02:21 PM
Joined Sep 2006
188 Posts
I have the v1 non-telemetry futaba module with non-high voltage rx. So I went flying again, this time flying my glider with 4ch rx. Flew for one hour no problems. The module seemed fine. So then I wanted to test the 8ch rx I had in the gas plane. Put the 8ch rx into the glider and flew that for an hour and again no problems. So I switched the stick and gas plane's rx and will fly the gas plane with stick's 8ch rx. I'll also fly the stick with gas's rx just to see if it will go into failsafe on the electric stick plane.

I checked all electrical stuff inside the gas plane and it all works. So I don't know. I need to fly more to observe the system in all my three planes.
Old May 03, 2011, 09:59 PM
Joined Sep 2006
188 Posts
So I put eleven flights total since the glitch on both the glider and big stick. No problems whatsoever. That was with the gas plane's rx stuffed into the stick plane. Maybe tomorrow I'll go fly my 55cc yak with the stick's rx. I also put amp meter inside the plane to record the lowest rx voltage during flight. I would be surprised if the problem ends up being my flight battery pack. Don't know what else it could be. My hd switches on the plane are ok. I've never had problems with frsky in the glider or the stick, only the gas plane. I also took apart my tx and sprayed it with electric cleaner just in case, including the module pins, etc. Then I flew my stick and glider with no problems.
Old May 04, 2011, 10:16 AM
Dean
USA, CO, Littleton
Joined Apr 2005
3,898 Posts
Hope the problem is solved for you. Sucks when that happens....
A10FLYR is offline Find More Posts by A10FLYR
Old May 04, 2011, 12:30 PM
Joined Jan 2011
39 Posts
Are you running a resistor plug on your gas engine, is the ignition system near the receiver?
saito180 is offline Find More Posts by saito180
Old May 05, 2011, 01:00 AM
Joined Sep 2006
188 Posts
I'm using one 4.8v 2000mah nimh ignition battery mounted above engine box. The elec. ign. box is mounted on the side of engine box. Throttle servo is mounted behind wing tube next to the rx. Rx is mounted 18 inches behind the ignition box. Rx batts. are in front of the fuel tank which is in front of the wing tube. The rx batts are behind the engine box, not inside. I'm using 42%'s optical ignition cutoff. Throttle is using a plastic ball link with steel ball at the engine side mounted to a flexible nyrod. The end at the throttle servo is plastic snapon link. The nyrod is well supported.

I put two problem free fifteen minute flights on my gas plane (using stick's rx). I put back 1200mah into the rx battery. The lowest voltage recorded during flight was 5.5v from 6.5v freshly charged pack (left sitting overnight before flight). Highest amp draw was 3.2 amps.

I'm going to put more flights on the gas plane and will exhaust the batteries on the ground to see what the cutoff voltage is to get the rx into failsafe. I think it's 2.8v but that might not be true. I will load the surfaces with my hands by pushing on them to draw some amps. Can't think of anything else. Thanks for your help.