Closed Thread
Old Feb 10, 2014, 11:14 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post
If it is a D lens, it is probably #16, interchangeable lens modules. A badly installed lens module can give pixelation.
And so can the computer/player during playback if they are not up to the task.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2014, 02:49 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post
If it is a D lens, it is probably #16, interchangeable lens modules. A badly installed lens module can give pixelation.
With all the effort made by Tom ... still people mess up big time between #11, #16, #18 etc

It would just be enough to check post n1 made by Tom, for know without any doubt which camera people own

Anyhow ... interesting to know ... I though that a badly installed lens module would make the camera not work at all ... having pixelation instead ... sound "interesting"

e_lm_70 is offline Find More Posts by e_lm_70
Old Feb 11, 2014, 03:19 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by akfreak View Post
You know I am pissed off a tonight. In good faith a bought a Keychain camera (D lens) from a fellow here on RCG, it was modded for fpv. I got it a few months back and just used it today for the first time.

The video is all pixelated (little squares everywhere) and looks terrible,. The pixelation is intermittent. I am willing to bet, its that stupid FPV mod he did. No I am out the money towards a new cam. So where is the best place to buy a new one with a D lens.

Sorry I had to vent.. and if the guy from Canada who sold me this turd see this post.. Thanks for nothing pal. I deleted my pms and don't care to even research the purchase with my CC.
The original #11 would indeed have to be modded for fpv, but I am not aware of anyone who's done a mod. The #11 didn't have a 'D' lens, the lens was also soldered to the PCB so wasn't exchangeable.
The #18, which is sometimes incorrectly sold as a #11, has an 8-pin USB non-standard socket and can be used for fpv without any modding. A wide-angle lens is available.
The #16 has a standard 5-pin USB plug. The very first versions did not have video-out (fpv) but that was changed with the V2. Again, I am not aware that it's possible to mod this version for fpv. All the #16s can use the wide-angle D-lens so long it was specifically designed for the #16.

Note: In order to mod one of these cameras which doesn't support video-out (fpv) it would be necessary to remove the DSP (processor), add a contact under the chip and resolder the chip back onto the board. The chips use a BGA package which makes it all but impossible to modify the underlying circuitry. It would only be possible if someone had excellent skills and the proper equipment. I very, very much doubt your camera was modded for fpv!

Like Tom has mentioned, the pixelation on playback could well be due to an underpowered PC. I suggest you try to playback your clips using VLC Media Player. VLC has it's own built-in codecs and works extremely well where other players fail.

A badly connected lens will lead to psychedelic colors. It should not be the cause of pixelation.
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Old Feb 11, 2014, 03:33 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,994 Posts
@Tom

After #18 ... Time to close also this thread ?

Or #11 being the first real HD keycam .. still has a special place in your "heart" ?
e_lm_70 is offline Find More Posts by e_lm_70
Old Feb 11, 2014, 10:44 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_lm_70 View Post
With all the effort made by Tom ... still people mess up big time between #11, #16, #18 etc

It would just be enough to check post n1 made by Tom, for know without any doubt which camera people own

Anyhow ... interesting to know ... I though that a badly installed lens module would make the camera not work at all ... having pixelation instead ... sound "interesting"

More commonly, a ribbon cable that is partially inserted or tilted in the socket can cause what is described in the #16 thread as "wild psychedelic rainbow colors". I've never seen it cause blocky pixilation, but it maybe possible.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 10:48 AM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
More commonly, a ribbon cable that is partially inserted or tilted in the socket can cause what is described in the #16 thread as "wild psychedelic rainbow colors". I've never seen it cause blocky pixilation, but it maybe possible.
Speculation on my part, but I was thinking of MILD psychedelic rainbow colors being interpreted as pixilation, but I do like your theory about inadequate processing power of the computer used.
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Feb 11, 2014, 10:56 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_lm_70 View Post
@Tom

After #18 ... Time to close also this thread ?

Or #11 being the first real HD keycam .. still has a special place in your "heart" ?
No, this thread (and the obsolete camera it covers) is really old and deserves to be closed more than the #18 thread. So, I am hereby closing it. If anyone has questions about the #11 camera, they can simply make a new thread post (or contact the vendor!).
Closed Thread