HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 27, 2009, 12:24 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
Question
TTe front brakes from TTn parts?

I'm trying to find the information on what needs to be purchased and changed to put the Thunder Tiger nitro front brakes on the TTe bike. I also might want to put the back break on the bike.

I've tried searching several times this weekend and again just now, but I just can not locate the correct keywords to get it.

It appears that I need the TTn wheels, plus the front and rear break kit. Do I need the TTn rear hub and axle and all the other stuff to convert the rear? Probably end up with the TTN swingarm since it is said to be better than the stock TTe swingarm. The back is last since the motor drag will act as a break for now. But fronts are important once I get the hang of keeping the rubber side down.

I'm concerned about the price of the other kits, not sure I can dump that much any time soon and it looks like I can get the front set up for less than the cost of a single side of KP breaks. I know the TTn breaks are not the greatest, but it should be an improvement over no front brakes, and they are cheap.

I'll be using a Futaba 3pkSuper and 3 channel receiver so the extra channel is not an issue for me. I'll probably machine some kind of servo mount for the extra servo. Any suggestions on the strength of the servo needed? Would be great if I can get away with a 3.x gram servo but I suspect I'll need something like a 6 gram or larger to provide enough power to make them work.

Thanks
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 27, 2009, 01:42 PM
Editor, RCCA
Joined Nov 2004
3,203 Posts
The TTn brake kit is a great value and works very well, once modded a bit. You will need a TTn-compatible front wheel (that has the circular brake hub with 5 indents), I wouldn't both with the rear brake; you already have rear brakes in your speed control.

Give me a little but to look up links to threads where this has been thoroughly discussed.

Oh, and please do use the search function here on RC Groups. It might be a pain, but we've covered many, many topics over the years, and there is a ton of information here already.
Guidoracer is offline Find More Posts by Guidoracer
Old Apr 27, 2009, 01:50 PM
Editor, RCCA
Joined Nov 2004
3,203 Posts
Here's a link to a must-do mod to give the TTn brakes more stopping power: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...480648&page=11

Oh, and stay away from the TT 3-spoke wheels with the brake hub. Those pretty machined wheels are made from a softer alloy than TT's cast Ducati split-spoke wheels. The brake hubs wear out very quickly on the 3-spokes.
Old Apr 27, 2009, 03:10 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
No offense, but I didn't get 6000+ posts without learning how to work the search. That link didn't give me anything as far as parts and setup on the electric ducati, mostly it talked about the nitro bikes and machining the rotor to fit the hex wheels since the disks seem to get rounded out and no longer fit the TTn wheel. I've tried every combination of words I could think of because I know this has been covered and probably in detail, yet the answer still eludes me. I've probably spent about 6 to 8 hours of solid searching for this answer over the last 2 days, both here and google. My guess is that the info is buried inside a hopelessly long thread with about 2 pages of prattle between each of the informational posts. I'll have to keep searching.

It does seem that this section of RCGroups is messed, it defaults to showing only the last 30 days where all the other sections default to showing all posts. The search doesn't seem to work well at all as most searching seems to only yield about 20 to 30 hits for me on any subject. As an example, I just searched this forum for "venom", it only returned 800 hits which truly must be wrong as there are more post than that in the induction to the new Venom thread, let alone all the other posts. Maybe I'll have to let the mods take a look at this and see what is going on because I must not be getting the older posts.
Old Apr 27, 2009, 04:01 PM
Editor, RCCA
Joined Nov 2004
3,203 Posts
Sorry if I offended you -- I didn't notice your post count and that you've been in RCG for a few years. Anyway, a 3.x Kg/cm servo will be enough for just the front brake if you do the brake lever mod that I noted in the link above. However, you will still have to find a place for the servo. Cut a hole in one of the chassis plates, use the NF upper plates, Shoe-Goo it to the TT upper plates -- whatever it takes.
Old Apr 27, 2009, 04:08 PM
Trowbridge UK
Joined Oct 2006
1,212 Posts
you might need the plastic part which the brake cable runs though and hold the outline in place as well. it standered fitment on the TTn for the rear cable and i cant find a pic of the stuff in the packet or remember if it come with the kit.

And your right this fourm a real waste of time for finding info which is why the same questions get asked over and over.
Whitham69 is offline Find More Posts by Whitham69
Old Apr 27, 2009, 04:21 PM
in memory of dez RIP
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Jun 2008
2,493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by village_idiot
No offense, but I didn't get 6000+ posts without learning how to work the search. That link didn't give me anything as far as parts and setup on the electric ducati, mostly it talked about the nitro bikes and machining the rotor to fit the hex wheels since the disks seem to get rounded out and no longer fit the TTn wheel. I've tried every combination of words I could think of because I know this has been covered and probably in detail, yet the answer still eludes me. I've probably spent about 6 to 8 hours of solid searching for this answer over the last 2 days, both here and google. My guess is that the info is buried inside a hopelessly long thread with about 2 pages of prattle between each of the informational posts. I'll have to keep searching.

It does seem that this section of RCGroups is messed, it defaults to showing only the last 30 days where all the other sections default to showing all posts. The search doesn't seem to work well at all as most searching seems to only yield about 20 to 30 hits for me on any subject. As an example, I just searched this forum for "venom", it only returned 800 hits which truly must be wrong as there are more post than that in the induction to the new Venom thread, let alone all the other posts. Maybe I'll have to let the mods take a look at this and see what is going on because I must not be getting the older posts.

im not sure if your page shows or not but at the verry bottom of the motorcycle forum it has options to view by time . and mine even has the option for the beginning . showing all of the posts ever made in motorcycles .
if it does not show it you may have to contact a mod as you stated .
and i have done the same type searches as you and they dont turn up anything close to what has been posted . im not sure why that is .
rcphreak is offline Find More Posts by rcphreak
Old Apr 27, 2009, 04:56 PM
Editor, RCCA
Joined Nov 2004
3,203 Posts
The plastic brake boss is included in the TTn brake kit. It's not nearly as nice as the KP one, but it does the job just fine, and I still use it even with my KP brakes.
Old Apr 27, 2009, 06:15 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
I'm thinking of machining the frame piece that I need to mount the servos so they are stacked like all the nicer bikes. If the NF is a proper fit then that would save a lot of time. Do you know the part number for the NF upper frame (don't they have a couple of bikes)?

I did do another search and it went way back to 2004 so the search is going back pretty far, still not sure what keywords to find what I need. Using combinations of TTe, ducati, fm-1e, brakes and not getting what I need so if there is a better keyword to try let me know. I'm about at the point of just using brake or brakes and slogging through all the posts that return until I find what I need.

Here is what I think I need, let me know if this is correct:

Bottom fork mounts
Brake mounts
brake kit for each side (really do need two rotors/pads to keep the forces balanced)
TTn front wheel

Do I need new bearings or axle to fit the TTn wheel? What about special spacers to take up any slack? I can cut simple parts on my mill but it is all hand cranked so they have to be simple.
Old Apr 27, 2009, 08:17 PM
Editor, RCCA
Joined Nov 2004
3,203 Posts
You can transfer the bearings from the old wheel to the new one. And the brake kit comes with the spacer and retainer needed for each side of the axle.

Most of the shafts on the TT bikes are 6mm thick (except steering pivot, which is 5mm). K&S 5/16" .035 wall thickness aluminum tubing can be found at most hobby shops and has a perfect 6.2mm inner diameter for making spacers with. Also, Traxxas makes 6x9.5x.5mm and 6x8x.5mm Teflon washers for finer shim jobs.
Old Apr 27, 2009, 09:43 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
Bruce got back to me today and said it was pretty much just the kit and the wheel that I need, plus finding a place to put the servo. The NF upper frame sounds like it will probably get things going faster and get my steering sorted, pretty sure the bike I bught has the rubber tube steering, so a proper damper/control rod is in order, probably the one from the nitro but I might splurge and get the good aftermarket damper.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 01:23 PM
Joined Sep 2006
28 Posts
Sorry to bring this back up from the dead but where are you buying the NF upper frame?
Dan_H is offline Find More Posts by Dan_H
Old Jun 12, 2009, 01:37 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
I decided to do something different and no longer need the NF upper frame, I'll post a picture when I remember where I have it stored.

[edit] still had the raw image on the card
Last edited by village_idiot; Jun 12, 2009 at 02:05 PM.