HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 01, 2014, 06:18 PM
Joined Feb 2014
195 Posts
Help!
should i fill or tape???

I building the A-10, from frcfoamies, The A-10 is one of my favorite planes. its not about looks with this plane. i also like the fact that it is a round fuse scratch build you tend to see a lot of boxy looking planes more. so i was researching and i found that some people fill the score/fold with gorilla glue. and sand down the excess when its dry. i like this idea but the only down side to it is that if you sand to hard, or close to the foam you start to sand down the foam. so i was thinking i could just tape the score/folds the fuse would still have that round look, and the gap would be covered.

now my question is

1. when i apply the gorilla glue and it expands and drys its kinda hard to hand sand down. i tried a router with a sanding bit in it. how do you guys think i should go about, sanding down the excess glue.

2. do you think i should tape saves time. and i still get to keep the round fuse look. but do you think that the plane will be to heavy, i have tape lining the inside of the fuse as well.

here are some pics
abgolden is online now Find More Posts by abgolden
to remove ads between posts
Old May 01, 2014, 07:14 PM
Marty Petri Sr.
Thailand, Uttaradit, Bo Thong
Joined Jun 2007
636 Posts
That's the problem with score and fold, big gaps to fill. I normally butt the foam and block sand to the contour I want, the gaps are very small and easy to fill with minimal sanding.

Marty
mbpetri is online now Find More Posts by mbpetri
Old May 01, 2014, 07:19 PM
BGR
Foam Junkie
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Dec 2003
1,655 Posts
The score and fold is not easy to make clean and the joints depends on the paper to hold it together which eventually fails. So what I would do is make strips of foam without the paper and glue them into the folds then sand to blend.
BGR is offline Find More Posts by BGR
Old May 02, 2014, 09:01 AM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,444 Posts
You may not be able to do this with depron (too stiff and brittle unless you apply tape to outside as a skin) but if you are using dtf of MPF, you can "roll" a round fuse with a simple fixture "gpw's bendfoam is great) and a little heat gun work. If you check my blog, and look at the Quicksilver, Beta, or any of several others, you can see rolled fuses that don't need much beyond final sanding.
springer is online now Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old May 02, 2014, 01:21 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
12,867 Posts
My scratch A-10 was just Depron foam, (no scoring required), and painted with acrylic paint, looked ok.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old May 03, 2014, 07:35 PM
Joined Feb 2014
195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
You may not be able to do this with depron (too stiff and brittle unless you apply tape to outside as a skin) but if you are using dtf of MPF, you can "roll" a round fuse with a simple fixture "gpw's bendfoam is great) and a little heat gun work. If you check my blog, and look at the Quicksilver, Beta, or any of several others, you can see rolled fuses that don't need much beyond final sanding.
yeah i rolled a fuse one time, it was a mikeyrc F-22. it has a 3600kv edf in it, ive never flown it yet tho.... i used a piece of pvc pipe to roll the foam.
abgolden is online now Find More Posts by abgolden