HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 25, 2014, 04:32 AM
Caravan driver
Lanseria airport South Africa
Joined Oct 2005
408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeofthenorth View Post
Sheet foam is also used on flat roofs some times, you can try roofing company's to see what thy have to offer.

Mike
I hear ya but remember I've been looking into this for more than 5 years and have pursued every avenue - there is no pink or blue foam to be had anywhere in Southern Africa There are other types of extruded foam and there are suppliers in China - I am in negotiations with one now but they require container loads and I'm just a lowely hobby enthusiast
wingnutzster is offline Find More Posts by wingnutzster
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2014, 06:21 AM
Erik with a K
Toledo, OH
Joined Aug 2007
1,106 Posts
PM Sent
http://www.foamcasualty.com/?page_id=673
tvcasualty is offline Find More Posts by tvcasualty
Old Apr 25, 2014, 06:45 AM
Caravan driver
Joined Oct 2005
408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvcasualty View Post
I tried your online purchasing system but it refuses to ship to SA so a mute point unless you are able to bypass that and work it out for me?
Old Apr 25, 2014, 08:29 AM
United States, OH, London
Joined Mar 2013
75 Posts
Have you seen this?: http://www.dow.com/africa/locations/index.htm
poormansairforce is offline Find More Posts by poormansairforce
Old Apr 25, 2014, 08:53 AM
Caravan driver
Joined Oct 2005
408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by poormansairforce View Post
I contacted them about a year ago and never got a reply - got the impression as I often do with these guys, that I'm just not worth the effort as an individual hobbyist - going to contact them again and see
Old Apr 25, 2014, 09:49 AM
Australia, QLD, Oxenford
Joined Oct 2010
1,897 Posts
Do you have any American car importers??
If you do you could see if they could bring in a couple of sheets in a container!

LURCH
taz101 is offline Find More Posts by taz101
Old Apr 26, 2014, 02:13 AM
Caravan driver
Joined Oct 2005
408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz101 View Post
Do you have any American car importers??
If you do you could see if they could bring in a couple of sheets in a container!

LURCH
That is a capital idea sir!! I think our GM brings in parts and cars so I could approach them maybe I work in a small signage business catering specifically to the South African motor industry so I will go through those channels and try make a little deal

I wonder if these foams are available in Europe? We bring a lot of cars and parts in from Germany...hmmm man I think you're on to something.

I know there are a lot of similar requests from here in SA but also other parts of the world where pink and blue is gold so I will continue posting my progress and any leads I may get and if you chaps could continue offering ideas for the beniefit of those on a similar quest to mine
Old Apr 26, 2014, 07:35 AM
Australia, QLD, Oxenford
Joined Oct 2010
1,897 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnutzster View Post
That is a capital idea sir!! I think our GM brings in parts and cars so I could approach them maybe I work in a small signage business catering specifically to the South African motor industry so I will go through those channels and try make a little deal

I wonder if these foams are available in Europe? We bring a lot of cars and parts in from Germany...hmmm man I think you're on to something.

I know there are a lot of similar requests from here in SA but also other parts of the world where pink and blue is gold so I will continue posting my progress and any leads I may get and if you chaps could continue offering ideas for the beniefit of those on a similar quest to mine
Not sure about GM, I was more thinking like small companies that bring in the older cars. Like classic Mustangs and Camaros. Usually car makers import their cars on a car carrying boats, where as importers usually bring in a couple of cars in containers. Not even sure you guys even import those sort of cars.
We have a guy here in Queensland, Australia, that has a guy in the U.S. that looks around and buys the cars for them and puts them in the containers for them. I know a guy that got them to bring in some other stuff with the cars, and just got the guy in the States to find it and pack it with the cars!

LURCH
taz101 is offline Find More Posts by taz101
Old Apr 29, 2014, 03:52 PM
Erik with a K
Toledo, OH
Joined Aug 2007
1,106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnutzster View Post
I tried your online purchasing system but it refuses to ship to SA so a mute point unless you are able to bypass that and work it out for me?
Completely brain farted on that one, sorry.
I will work on getting a shipping quote for you, how many sheets / how much do you think you might want? Please drop me an email, so we can work out the details.
Erik (at) foamcasualty.com
tvcasualty is offline Find More Posts by tvcasualty
Old Apr 29, 2014, 06:06 PM
I don't do Normal
Canada, NT, Yellowknife
Joined Dec 2011
426 Posts
Hi there
The technical term for this stuff is "Extruded Polystyrene" and by the look of it is used for the same things in South Africa. I did a quick search for you and found possible substitutes, you will have to try each type in your area they will be different depending on manufacturing methods. Should give you something to look into at least
Hope that helps may want to ask contractors that build refrigeration units as well

http://www.creativhandz.co.za/inscreed.php
http://www.isoboard.com/stockists/is...ists-map.html#
http://www.dipsystems.co.za/#!types-of-flat-roofs/c1t1p
http://www.foamex.com.au/polystrene-...n-for-building

Could try Canadian suppliers maybe they will ship you some
Pinky_d_brain is online now Find More Posts by Pinky_d_brain
Last edited by Pinky_d_brain; Apr 29, 2014 at 06:17 PM.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 12:48 AM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Aug 2011
571 Posts
You need to find someone shipping something fragile from the U.S. to South Africa and tell them you have a friend who will provide free shipping foam to pad their item.
Markran is offline Find More Posts by Markran
Old Apr 30, 2014, 03:50 AM
Caravan driver
Joined Oct 2005
408 Posts
Thank you for going to the trouble Pinky - however all of those links refer to the one and only XPS we have in SA which if you read my previous posts you will note is called isoboard and although it has good uses it is not quite the same - It does not shape nearly as well and hot wire cutting ends up in a mess - granted I may just require some practice, I know of one truly talented South African builder who cuts his scale sailplane wings in the stuff but for my purposes of shaping entire fuselages, noses, etc it isn't ideal. Don't get me wrong I am happy to adjust my designs and limit myself to this material but I have to keep trying to find pink and blue foam ....and I will! Made some headway with the Chinese recently - the suggestion that I pack some in to a crate has produced what will hopefully materialize into an order in the next week - hold thumbs!
Old May 05, 2014, 02:31 PM
I don't do Normal
Canada, NT, Yellowknife
Joined Dec 2011
426 Posts
Good to hear your making head way
Pinky_d_brain is online now Find More Posts by Pinky_d_brain