Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 08, 2014, 12:47 PM
Joined Mar 2014
107 Posts
last night was a terrible night for my plane, I did sheet the wings though. But I decided I'm going to chuck my fiberglass fuselage, as its causing more trouble and pain, than joy. Unless there is a fiberglass fuse that exists in the same scale, I'm going to start from scratch with balsa
JakeL17 is offline Find More Posts by JakeL17
to remove ads between posts
Old May 09, 2014, 12:45 PM
United States, CA, Sunnyvale
Joined Dec 2006
740 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeL17 View Post
last night was a terrible night for my plane, I did sheet the wings though. But I decided I'm going to chuck my fiberglass fuselage, as its causing more trouble and pain, than joy. Unless there is a fiberglass fuse that exists in the same scale, I'm going to start from scratch with balsa
For what it's worth.... I strongly recommend you grab some foam of your choice and make the simplest, lightest, cheapest, easiest to build, modify repair and access (and therefore the ugliest) airframe that will hold all the pieces together. When you get it flying and all the various mechanisms are working you can make a much nicer plane, but in the mean time life will be so much easier, and progress so much faster. Your odds of getting to a final product will be better as well.
Ran D. St. Clair is online now Find More Posts by Ran D. St. Clair
Old May 21, 2014, 02:13 PM
Isaiah 40:31
United Kingdom, England, Hamble-le-Rice
Joined Sep 2012
667 Posts
Interesting thread, I was thinking of starting a similar project myself. I just completed a yf-23 parkjet design which took 18 months to get it working well, so I would wholeheartedly agree with Ran D
Clickety is offline Find More Posts by Clickety
Old May 28, 2014, 08:05 AM
Joined Mar 2014
107 Posts
OK, last night, while working in a hangar, I found some interesting tubing that i thought would easily make the swivel duct. It easily bends 90 degrees, automatically bends back, and since it is used as an air intake, there isnt much air resistance in the inside.
Old May 30, 2014, 01:21 PM
Joined Mar 2014
107 Posts
OK, I have my test board set up, all it needs is a few minor adjustments. I will add the mounting whatevers and intake later
Old May 31, 2014, 04:34 AM
Joined Nov 2012
102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeL17 View Post
OK, I have my test board set up, all it needs is a few minor adjustments. I will add the mounting whatevers and intake later
for the final setup put the kk2.0 between the 2 ducts on the CG the plane. baterry also on the cg of the plane becaue of the weight of the lifting motor behind the cockpit. looking good keep on going
Joel_Vlashof is offline Find More Posts by Joel_Vlashof
Old May 31, 2014, 10:26 PM
Joined Mar 2014
107 Posts
I can't put the KK2 and receiver between the two edfs, first because the intake tube runs through there, and second, the aft edf will be sucking at that thing, and that would be very bad. I think the center of gravity will be just fine, but i will accommodate if it is bad.

Anyway, I got a motor installed, the KK2 installed over the reciver, and have been having fun revving up the lift fan.
Old Jun 01, 2014, 02:46 PM
United States, CA, Sunnyvale
Joined Dec 2006
740 Posts
FYI, It is not necessary to mount the FC at the CG. the gyros don't care where they are mounted in the plane. They will sense angular acceleration (roll, pitch, yaw) just the same. There is a slight impact on the accelerometers, but considering how the accelerometers are actually used it makes little difference. The only place where it might make a slight difference is with altitude damping. Mounting the FC at the tip of the nose, far from the CG would cause it to sense a positive (upward) acceleration on the Z axis when pitching the nose up. This would cause the altitude damping to reduce power slightly during the time that the pitch up is actually occurring. In practice, altitude damping is a gentle feedback so I doubt you could see the difference if you looked for it. The other use for the accelerometers is to trim the level sense for the gyros (IMU) in Autolevel mode) This level sense trimming is very gentle as the IMU (Inertial Mesurement Unit) is mostly based on the gyros, and the accelerometers only trim out the gyro drift. the accelerometers are also heavily filtered, so it all boils down to not mattering much where you put the FC. Convenient routing of the wires is the more practical issue.
Ran D. St. Clair is online now Find More Posts by Ran D. St. Clair
Old Jun 09, 2014, 04:05 PM
Joined Mar 2014
107 Posts
OK, update, I finally flashed my KK2 with the right code this time, gonna go fiddle around with that for awhile.