HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 12, 2013, 03:26 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,022 Posts
Craig,

If I read this right, you are working on a new build, a kit. Right?

As far as I know, from my limited building experience, adding carbon to the spar caps is not a lot of work. Sand down the spar the thickness of the carbon and epoxy it on under a little pressure. Whatever thickness you use you add strength, be it compressive or tensile, and you don't need a lot if you just want to add some insurance. Probably .021 or less on the top and nothing to .007 on the bottom. Again, whatever you add is stronger than what you remove.

Wrapping should not take long. It is just there to reduce the chance of delamination, or so I am told. If you are not building an Uber launch machine you could even wrap the spar with unwaxed dental floss which costs next to nothing. Not as strong as kevlar but that strength is probalby not needed anyway.

Also, if I read this correctly you are just trying to add a little extra insurance in case you over pedal the winch. Is that correct? Or are you looking to make it full pedal launch capable?

The other people in this thread are the super builders. They will correct my silly assumptions, but, I don't think this is a lot of work. As you said, 5 hours of thinking and 30 minutes work. I do the same thing and wear myself out overthinking things.

Very interesting discussion. Going to follow along.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Last edited by aeajr; Feb 12, 2013 at 03:51 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2013, 03:45 PM
Kurt Zimmerman ≡LSF 4461≡
Montrose, NY
Joined May 2003
1,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdrela View Post
Mostly pointless.

One way to make the Mirage wing mostly flutter-proof is to add a D-tube to the center panel out of light 1/16" balsa. The upper part needs to be faceted to preserve the turbulation effect of the stringers. The bottom can be curved as usual. Most of the added work is to remove 1/16" from all the center rib outlines ahead of the spar to make room for the sheeting. But all the ribs are the same, so all the ribs can be modified in one stack. The 1/8" square bass stringers are replaced by 1/16" x 1/8" very hard balsa stringers. The faceted D-tube is made by installing flat balsa "planks" which are butted over the stringers. You start at the spar and go forward. Then trim the overhang from the LE, and finally install the LE strip. This is actually easier than installing one curved D-tube sheet in one piece.

This mod adds essentially no weight, because the basswood stringers go away, and you can also now use a very light covering for the center panel rather than Monokote.
Gee... but it does look cool...aka Sagitta... Got to love the look of a Sagitta w/ transparent covering.... Interesting though...

Thanks Mark.
kzimmerm is offline Find More Posts by kzimmerm
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:16 PM
So. Cal
Joined Jan 2005
137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
Also, if I read this correctly you are just trying to add a little extra insurance in case you over pedal the winch. Is that correct? Or are you looking to make it full pedal launch capable?.
That is mostly correct. My underlying goal is to build more retro planes but I want to learn about opportunities to improve the strength of these models using modern materials without signficantly altering the original appearance. I want the added strength as a hedge against wing failure on a "normal launch".

For example, you are at a contest away from home. The line has no stretch, the head wind is strong and a boomer thermal is moving through the launch zone. I think they called it the 'THE WALK OF SHAME" as I returned from digging my missle out of the lawn.

I was seriously considering just dropping in solid carbon spars because it was easy. With all things, I suspected that this "lazy" approach had draw backs, which was highlighted in this discussion.

Thanks again for all the feed back and help.
TOSSPilot is offline Find More Posts by TOSSPilot
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:34 PM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,218 Posts
Quote:
Craig,

Sand down the spar the thickness of the carbon and epoxy it on under a little pressure.
You don't want to sand the spar. You are much better to adjust the rib notch to suit the added carbon fiber.
IHAVAWDY is offline Find More Posts by IHAVAWDY
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:05 PM
Unrepentant Paragon addict
United States, OK, Moore
Joined Jan 2006
2,528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOSSPilot View Post
That is mostly correct. My underlying goal is to build more retro planes but I want to learn about opportunities to improve the strength of these models using modern materials without signficantly altering the original appearance. I want the added strength as a hedge against wing failure on a "normal launch".

For example, you are at a contest away from home. The line has no stretch, the head wind is strong and a boomer thermal is moving through the launch zone. I think they called it the 'THE WALK OF SHAME" as I returned from digging my missle out of the lawn.

I was seriously considering just dropping in solid carbon spars because it was easy. With all things, I suspected that this "lazy" approach had draw backs, which was highlighted in this discussion.

Ah, the memories.....
LVsoaring is offline Find More Posts by LVsoaring
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:53 PM
MrE
United States, WA, Gig Harbor
Joined Aug 2007
2,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdrela View Post
Mostly pointless.

One way to make the Mirage wing mostly flutter-proof is to add a D-tube to the center panel out of light 1/16" balsa. The upper part needs to be faceted to preserve the turbulation effect of the stringers. The bottom can be curved as usual. Most of the added work is to remove 1/16" from all the center rib outlines ahead of the spar to make room for the sheeting. But all the ribs are the same, so all the ribs can be modified in one stack. The 1/8" square bass stringers are replaced by 1/16" x 1/8" very hard balsa stringers. The faceted D-tube is made by installing flat balsa "planks" which are butted over the stringers. You start at the spar and go forward. Then trim the overhang from the LE, and finally install the LE strip. This is actually easier than installing one curved D-tube sheet in one piece.

This mod adds essentially no weight, because the basswood stringers go away, and you can also now use a very light covering for the center panel rather than Monokote.
I would love to build a second Mirage wing using these ideas. I have managed to flutter mine more than once but got lucky with little damage.

I am a little unclear on exactly where the 1/16x1/8 hard balsa strips go in relation to the sheeting.

The first image shows a Mirage rib. The red lines show where to trim 1/16" off for the sheeting. The lower cuts would follow the airfoil shape and the top cuts would be straight? Or should they also follow the airfoil?

Then do the 1/16x1/8 balsa strips go back into the slots where the old 1/8x1/8 basswood was or??

Thanks for all your contributions to the hobby!!

MrE is offline Find More Posts by MrE
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:57 PM
Cambridge, MA USA
Joined May 2001
1,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrE View Post
The first image shows a Mirage rib. The red lines show where to trim 1/16" off for the sheeting. The lower cuts would follow the airfoil shape and the top cuts would be straight? Or should they also follow the airfoil?
The top cuts are straight. Ideally the bottom cuts follow the airfoil, but this isn't critical.

Quote:
Then do the 1/16x1/8 balsa strips go back into the slots where the old 1/8x1/8 basswood was or??
After you trim the ribs, the new slots are 1/16x1/8. That's where the balsa strips go. The top D-tube plank edges join together over the strips. The bottom D-tube sheeting ideally is curved, and is installed in one piece.

Since the center is glassed, you can put a butt joint there. So the D-tube can be made from 24" long sheets which are easier to edge-fit together.
markdrela is offline Find More Posts by markdrela
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:02 PM
MrE
United States, WA, Gig Harbor
Joined Aug 2007
2,009 Posts
Thanks Mark!!!

That should be a very simple and valuable mod
MrE is offline Find More Posts by MrE
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:32 AM
Gasbags & Gussets
Riverside, Ca
Joined Feb 2009
1,179 Posts
middle of the road method

Quote:
That is mostly correct. My underlying goal is to build more retro planes but I want to learn about opportunities to improve the strength of these models using modern materials without signficantly altering the original appearance. I want the added strength as a hedge against wing failure on a "normal launch"..
Although the Skybench BigBird/Oly3 woody's have a d-box wing and very strong as is, Ray added this "how-to" and this one to his website for those who wanted a bit more spar strength insurance. This solution may work for you as a middling choice between strength and appearance.
best wishes, js

ps - Mark Millers tap-tap-tap winch method is the easiest solution of all

Following picture linked from Skybench.com website
jswain is offline Find More Posts by jswain
Last edited by jswain; Feb 15, 2013 at 09:38 AM.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:59 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,022 Posts
I notice in that photo there are no thread wraps. Is that a finished spar or is there something to be added?

It also looks like the carbon appears to be below the spar cap rather than on top. Is that the reason there is no wrapping?
Old Feb 16, 2013, 12:02 AM
United States, CA, Ontario
Joined Mar 2002
7,590 Posts
I wouldn't use full cf spars , just add .030 thick x 3/8 wide cf , full width shear webs , and wrap the whole thing with Kevlar thread ...
Dennis Everett is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Everett
Old Feb 17, 2013, 06:07 PM
USA, IL, Naperville
Joined Feb 2003
856 Posts
And then strengthen the tips, and the joiners, and the wing hold system, and the fuse bottom (so the hook doesn't pull out), and the fuse sides (so they don't separate on tow), and the stab (so it does't blow off in a zoom)...
John Walter is offline Find More Posts by John Walter
Old Feb 17, 2013, 06:27 PM
Unrepentant Paragon addict
United States, OK, Moore
Joined Jan 2006
2,528 Posts
Let's keep in mind here that the model in question is a Mirage. A woodie RES ship. As I understand, the goal of the OP is to strengthen the wing a bit, making it more able to take a moderate winch launch.

We could debate all day on how to build the strongest possible spar system, but in the end we need to keep in mind the intent and expected use. I rather doubt anyone is planning on launching a Mirage full-pedal with a wicked zoom at the top. But I've been wrong before....
LVsoaring is offline Find More Posts by LVsoaring
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:37 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,022 Posts
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVsoaring View Post
Let's keep in mind here that the model in question is a Mirage. A woodie RES ship. As I understand, the goal of the OP is to strengthen the wing a bit, making it more able to take a moderate winch launch.

We could debate all day on how to build the strongest possible spar system, but in the end we need to keep in mind the intent and expected use. I rather doubt anyone is planning on launching a Mirage full-pedal with a wicked zoom at the top. But I've been wrong before....
Yes. let's always keep in mind the goal of the discussion. Essentially making the wing a little stronger, not build a Supra.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:49 PM
USA, IL, Naperville
Joined Feb 2003
856 Posts
Quote:
Yes. let's always keep in mind the goal of the discussion. Essentially making the wing a little stronger, not build a Supra.
I was kidding. My point was, don't add 0.030 CF to the spar. There is no point over build one component of a balanced structure.
John Walter is offline Find More Posts by John Walter