HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 06, 2012, 07:45 AM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,300 Posts
Discussion
Acrylic vs. enamel (and primer?)

So, I've given up on acrylic hobby paint... not easy, as there seems to be more choice in acrylics these days.

Acrylics are not really any easier to clean up, I end up using lacquer thinner anyway to clean my airbrush. Acrylics seem to clog my airbrush more, while enamels just go through and onto the model SO much easier and smoother.
And enamels just seem more robust- harder & more durable. Could be my imagination...

Whaddya think, what's your experience?

My only problem: Enamel hobby primers!
I use Krylon/Rustoleum for the big jobs of course... but when I need to prime something small, using my airbrush, I'm at a loss... Just did a job with Model Master enamel primer... awful, had to strip everything, the stuff never cured! But Krylon went on the same parts and cured just fine... but it's so heavy it obscures details, and is hard to control out of the big can.

Anyone have a recommendation for a good reliable airbrushable primer?
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2012, 09:17 AM
---o-O-o---
United States, NJ, Livingston
Joined Mar 2012
1,588 Posts
Good question! I am using Krylon spray can primer too becuase I haven't found a suitable airbrush alternative. I looked at the automotive primers, but the variety is bewildering. I am still using Acrylic colors though. I thin with a little alcohol and a little airbrush medium (Golden's brand). I like the fact that it has very low VOC levels, lt works well over the Krylon. Hope someone has a good suggestion for a high build airbrush primer.

Pete
blutoh is offline Find More Posts by blutoh
Old Oct 06, 2012, 09:53 AM
Istanbul / TURKEY
Joined Feb 2005
260 Posts
+1

I had an nightmare with model acryls and returned back to enames
primer: Tamiya white or gray, rattlecan or liquid

mp
Melih PEKOL is offline Find More Posts by Melih PEKOL
Old Oct 06, 2012, 10:11 AM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,300 Posts
I've heard good things about Gunze's Mr Primer/Mr Surfacer, but never found any locally nor tried it...
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Oct 06, 2012, 10:17 AM
United States, ID, CDA
Joined Aug 2005
598 Posts
Testers primer is finer.
Also there is spray can primer for the gaming figures that is also suppose to be finer.
marter1229 is online now Find More Posts by marter1229
Old Oct 06, 2012, 08:38 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,817 Posts
Acrylics are horrid (another improved and allegedly green product that is not as good as what it was meant to replace) and I have had similar issues too thin/transparent pigment-wise (I have seen others achieve awesome finishes with acrylics, just not me). Enamels are made with oil, shiny and silky smooth just like the coat of paint I hope to achieve besides, they just smell like my childhood and acrylics can never do that. I have noticed in some stores they have to check that you are eighteen to sell you a little can of Testors spray paint or glue so personally I will stick with the adult stuff and save the water colors for the kids.
Kcal is offline Find More Posts by Kcal
Old Oct 06, 2012, 08:51 PM
United States, CA, Orange County
Joined Aug 2011
1,911 Posts
Pete, and all

The latest, Low VOC, Automotive Primers, mixed properly, and shot through a "state of the art", Low VOC gun, work great! The problem is, most all of you, would have a Heart Attack, at the cost!!! I just use Automotive spray paint (in cans), WITH OUT, any primer, that works pretty good. CaptCB
CaptCB is online now Find More Posts by CaptCB
Old Oct 06, 2012, 11:56 PM
Boats on the brain!!
Arnold, Mo.
Joined Jul 2005
4,534 Posts
I have heard that using an external mix airbrush will work better when using water based paints.
green-boat is offline Find More Posts by green-boat
Old Oct 07, 2012, 03:40 PM
Detroit Metro, MI, USA
Joined Dec 2007
201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by patmat2350 View Post
I've heard good things about Gunze's Mr Primer/Mr Surfacer, but never found any locally nor tried it...

Pat,

Michigan Toy Soldier Company in Royal Oak (Corner of 11 Mile/Vermont, Next Door to Chicken Shack)

http://www.michtoy.com/

carries the Gunze line of paints plus they have Tamiya Fine Primer in a square bottle that you could airbrush/hand brush. You could call them.

However, I haven't used the Gunze line and the Tamiya Primer in a spray can has a very, fine mist, thin coat coverage and very smelly. It worked OK for me, but I had a bad surface to begin with. That was my fault. You would probably have better results.
mr_impervious is offline Find More Posts by mr_impervious
Old Oct 07, 2012, 11:35 PM
KC8WPF
Euclid, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
3,723 Posts
Almost all of my models built in the last 10 years or so are painted with acrylics. I only use oil based enamels if I can't get a color in acrylic. I've had good results with the Testors Model Master Acryl and Floquil Polly Scale. I've used some Tamiya Copper on the Lyman kit with good reults. I have some good results and some bad results with Badger Model Flex. I've even used some Parma Fascolor on some Lexan parts on my latest model. I use distilled water as a thinner/cleaner for a dual action air brush. Styrene, fiberglass, and resin parts need a light scuffing with very fine sandpaper or a green pad. After adding dry transfer or water slide decals, I spray on some Gloss Cote or Dull Cote as appropriate to seal the decals.

I usually use the Tetors Acryl Primer White or Primer gray. Sometimes I used whatever older color is in my paint locker - gray, red, blue, green. I always apply several coats of primer; alternating between colors to ensure complete coverage.

I have a Monokote heat gun hanging next to my paint booth. After I spray the acrylics, I give them a quick blast of hot air . During the colder days in my basement shop, I gove the model parts a blast of hot air before I paint them as
well.

Here are some of my acrylic painted models.
CG Bob is offline Find More Posts by CG Bob
Old Oct 08, 2012, 05:34 AM
Blackpool, Lancs
Joined Feb 2006
2,845 Posts
Replacing a system that works (oil base paint) with one that needs a battery of special preparation steps, special application methods and careful protection after application before use is not progress.
I get the feeling that we are being directed by over qualified incompetents who want everybody else in the world to be as useless as they are.
With oil base, minimal preparation and a decent set of brushes I can usually arrive at a satisfactory and durable result. Acrylics, on the other hand, do not. However, the oil-base manufacturers seem to be using the acrylic junk as an acceptable baseline, and downgrading their quality accordingly. My experience is mostly Humbrol, I have noted that pigment solidity has gone down, and since production moved to China, they seem to be providing employment to the colour blind.
mfr02 is offline Find More Posts by mfr02
Old Oct 08, 2012, 06:53 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,817 Posts
CG Bob,

The barrel back and Schnell boat are gorgeous, you are quite the prolific modeler.

Mfr,

Sadly these days a lot of things seem to be going this way.
Kcal is offline Find More Posts by Kcal