Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 29, 2012, 09:25 PM
Joined Dec 2012
20 Posts
Interesting, the one I've seen close up had significant right and down thrust and seemed to be pretty well aligned also. Its owner said it did have a big torque roll to the left though and that one of the magnets for a strut wasn't glued in on opening. Haven't seen it fly yet. One suspects the quality control may not be all that high, though the sample size is pretty small yet.....
coolstar is offline Find More Posts by coolstar
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:25 AM
Joined Dec 2012
3 Posts
Area Tm 75

Yes, I always wonder how and what the manufacturing places look like. One day you might have a person or machine gluing in a firewall at a slight left angle, and the next day someone else doing a bunch with the firewalls glued in perpendicular to the fuse' or at a right angle. The firewall's glue could be scraped off with an exacto knife, maybe w/o ruining the foam fuse', but probably not worth it. If it flies good, only the operated knows it's flying out of wack with excessive trim. As I fly it around slow, it keeps looking like a Curtiss Jenny from a distance. Right turns are really neat with the torque of the prop. It just hangs there slightly nose high with it kind of turning right side fuselage leading the way. Adverse yaw.
John Koch is offline Find More Posts by John Koch
Old Dec 30, 2012, 05:29 PM
RTF only for now!!!
Jacksonville, FL
Joined Mar 2007
332 Posts
Can anyone comment on whether the Tiger Moth can fly as slowly as the Nano Micro Stick 75?
Greg_Vincent is offline Find More Posts by Greg_Vincent
Old Dec 30, 2012, 07:00 PM
Joined Dec 2012
3 Posts
I have a Parkzone Vapor. The Ares Tiger Moth can pretty much fly as slow as the Vapor in cruise flight. I found it's not so much the size of the flying area for the little TM, but the landing area. It takes some getting used to the rudder control with the magnetic actuator. I work in a giant building, lots of air, but landing is limited to long tables or limited floor space, (parachute manufacturing company.
John Koch is offline Find More Posts by John Koch
Old Jan 06, 2013, 08:31 AM
Noblesville, Indiana
Joined Jan 2005
253 Posts
I was wondering what was the cause for the brief recall. I bought my Tiger Moth at the end of November. It was the first my local Hobby Town sold. It has performed well for a couple dozen flights, but yesterday it started shutting down after just a few minutes and now it's totally dead. Anyone know if this was what the recall was about?
Steve Percifield is offline Find More Posts by Steve Percifield
Old Jan 06, 2013, 01:08 PM
Joined Aug 2010
330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Percifield View Post
I was wondering what was the cause for the brief recall. I bought my Tiger Moth at the end of November. It was the first my local Hobby Town sold. It has performed well for a couple dozen flights, but yesterday it started shutting down after just a few minutes and now it's totally dead. Anyone know if this was what the recall was about?
See post 55 on page 4.
tenspeed is offline Find More Posts by tenspeed
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:27 AM
Joined Jun 2008
261 Posts
Not quite there yet.......

Well, I have had to return my second T.M. and will stay away from this product until next years indoor flying events......

My first one had the cabanes glued in farther on one side than the other. It looked like crap, but actually flew OK. But after about 6 flights the motor just died in it....with NO crashes....Took it back to Hobbytown to get a replacement. We had to go through three boxes before we found one when the upper wing was actually glued on straight. Took it home and flew it outside after dark. About one and a half minutes into the first flight, the elevator servo lock up in the down position.....Took it back to Hobbytown where a associate took it apart and looked at it.....but could not fix it. I told them that I would like a refund.

Hobbytown does have a thirty day warranty on the product which is nice to have. But with so many little issues, I was afraid that the product would have issues after a couple of months and I would be left on the hook for repairs.

I really wanted this plane for our indoor flying season of our club.....but they obviously don't have the quality right yet in this little bird. Like a good bourbon.....I'm gonna let this one 'age' a little bit longer, and hopefully, they will have all the kinks worked out in several months..........
aclinml is offline Find More Posts by aclinml
Old Jan 16, 2013, 05:49 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jan 2013
371 Posts
Turns out the doubled rare earth magnets are not a particularly good idea. on a not-that-hard crash I had 3 of them pull loose from the glue: two on the landing gear and one on a wing strut. plus one wing strut came with one magnet not glued down. A better idea would be to use ONE rare earth magnet and a little disc of steel, rather than the two. should still be strong enough to do the job without being stronger than the glue. then you wouldn't have to worry about the polarity on the TINY little things if you ever had to glue them back, either.....
speakertoanimals is online now Find More Posts by speakertoanimals
Old Feb 09, 2013, 10:19 PM
United States, OH, Centerburg
Joined Dec 2012
52 Posts
Parts Availability

I called the Pittsburg Hobby Town today to determine the availability of the ATM since the recall & was told there is now a significant inventory & there should be no problem getting one. The young man went on to say if the warehouse didn't have sufficient inventory - he'd give me a call & refund my money if I so wished.

I asked about what spare parts should be ordered & was told the prop/spinner, prop shaft/gear & maybe wings & struts. I've since gone to the Hobby Town web site getting prepared to place an order, but was only able to find a few spare parts. I spent quite a while trying to figure out how to get pricing &, more importantly, ways to order parts - but wasn't able to do so. Am I missing something or is Hobby Town not inventorying many parts for this plane?
bluesman77 is offline Find More Posts by bluesman77
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:33 AM
Joined Jan 2013
371 Posts
It's probably hard to tell if they're not stocking a lot of parts or it's just their incredibly bad web design. Hobbytown probably has the worst website of any hobby company with a national footprint.

can't say a lot of good things about my Tiger Moth....Finally got it to fly circuits in the 30x30x12 room where I fly the mini-vapor and original vapor. This was after adding foam spoilers to slow it down, a lot, and adding area to the rudder to help correct for the severe left torque. Nerve-wracking flying compared to both the vapors! AND I still can't make a right hand turn without spiralling in, even when trimmed well for straight flight. it's VERY elevator and throttle sensitive. still, this is progress, of a sort. . also knocked the motor mount loose on a crash/landing as it's not glued in very well. was able to open the rhs cowl (pilot view) and sorta maybe get it glued back in and of course that completely changed the trim....it's gorgeous in the air, but fragile and with low build quality (transmitter is awful, also, MUCH worse than the rtf with the vapors). I suspect these are some of the reasons this thread is so short and there's only one or two videos of it flying, none on rcgroups. caveat emptor. lots of good ideas, poorly implemented... Oh, the stock 50 mah batteries are GREAT in the mini-vapor and consistently give me flights of 10 minutes.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:59 AM
United States, IL, Washington
Joined Nov 2008
1,941 Posts

I put the Mini Vapor electrics in there Nano Micro Stick and it flies great, maybe someone should try this with the Tiger Moth. It just might turn it into your favorite plane.
TODD
I R Irv is online now Find More Posts by I R Irv
Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:39 PM
Joined Jan 2013
371 Posts
I'd rather Hobbyzone just put one out with the Vapor guts! . Carbon fiber with film covered wings, etc. etc......They'd probably outsell the mini Vapor even.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:37 PM
Joined Jan 2013
371 Posts
Yet another thing wrong with this plane, the battery connector motor wires are about half the gauge as on any other micro! not hard to figure out how I know that. Anyone want one of these at 60% retail?
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:19 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,545 Posts
Well, I have mixed emotions over the entire Nano TM issue. I'm distressed to hear other's have had problems with this micro flyer, but glad I asked before buying. I'll definitely hold off on this little Moth. Our club has another indoor event this coming Tues. PM, so my Ember 2 #1, Champ, MiniVapor, and FZ Albatros will get some exercise.

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Mar 02, 2013, 04:43 PM
United States, OH, Centerburg
Joined Dec 2012
52 Posts
Battery Weight

Can anyone tell me how much the ATM battery weighs? I'm thinking about trying one in my Ares Nano Micro Stick 75 & wanted to know how much heavier it is than the AMS 30 mAh battery.
bluesman77 is offline Find More Posts by bluesman77