Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 21, 2012, 07:04 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
3,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demsey View Post
Yeah, a few guys pulled the stock fixed gear plates off, re-installed light ply bases to accept the retracts and filled the area. It renders a cleaner more aerodynamic finished wing but;

1. Those fixed gear plates are sound! They are anchored into the foam by 9, 1/2 inch 'pegs' and have a lot of surface area to spread the load if a rough landing is made.

2. As a mounting surface their geometry will render a good amount of automatic forward rake and gear angle toward the wing tip.

I pried the plates off, dug out the foam and sketched the cut out to let the retract drop through the old fixed plate(s) and sit flush and merely bolted the electric retract plate to the fixed gear plate with self tapping countersink screws. Then epoxied the entire assembly back onto the foam. Fast and simple. Very easy and accessible to remove the electric retract if needed..............at first I thought I might mount the entire electric retract and it's mounting plate below the stock fixed gear mount for a cleaner look, but realized they would be more or less permanently encased. There is 'so much going on' under the wing; simulated scale radiators, flap and servo push rods, gears doors etc, that the retract plate sitting a little proud on the old fixed gear plate is not in the least bit noticeable in flight, even on close in fly-bys!.

<sidebar>

I have to share.Today I had a real treat, and owe it all to the Parkzone Bf 109 model with special regard to the retract upgrade.

I had been exchanging PM's and posts here in the thread for quite a few months now with member 'Redzed9'. He from UK , I in Florida USA.

He had been making good progress gathering the bits and pieces necessary and getting a good game plan up in his head for the conversion.

Last Thursday I received a PM through RCG that he was in Jacksonville, FL on business and wondered if I was within striking distance of a car ride. Daytona Beach, eighty odd miles to the south.

Long story short; he made the effort and we spent the entire day flying and enjoying good company at our local field. He flew my 109 and experienced it's flight characteristics with the retract modification first hand and took my performance modified PZ F4F around the patch as well. Bang up job he did too! He took some snaps and video footage. Perhaps he may share here. I don't think any of the more embarrassing moments made it to film! One sortie wing to wing between a PZ P-47 v my 109. It was a draw after the Luftberry circe and both aces made it back to base guns empty and frustrated! No kills!

Then a quick trip to the local hobby store to daydream and talk of big plans and a great meal with a few of the other club members.

Andy is quite an authority on all era war birds and imparted a lot of great info on many types...............and a veteran spectator of the Duxford Airshow, of which I am extremely jealous!........To any self respecting war bird fanatic you know full well Duxford as Mecca!

Anyhoo, cheers Andy, great to meet you. Consider yourself honorary member of the Daytona Beach Radio Control Association!
Looks great and a SIMPLE way of doing this!!!...I know how those retract plates are fixed to the wing---VERY substantially!!!...I'm going to go with your method as it not only looks great but works well too...THANKS!!!...Getting out the Dremel TONIGHT!!!

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 21, 2012, 08:49 PM
So where does this bit go???
United Kingdom, England, Essex
Joined May 2011
582 Posts
Quote: Demsey
I have to share.Today I had a real treat, and owe it all to the Parkzone Bf 109 model with special regard to the retract upgrade.

I had been exchanging PM's and posts here in the thread for quite a few months now with member 'Redzed9'. He from UK , I in Florida USA.

He had been making good progress gathering the bits and pieces necessary and getting a good game plan up in his head for the conversion.

Last Thursday I received a PM through RCG that he was in Jacksonville, FL on business and wondered if I was within striking distance of a car ride. Daytona Beach, eighty odd miles to the south.

Long story short; he made the effort and we spent the entire day flying and enjoying good company at our local field. He flew my 109 and experienced it's flight characteristics with the retract modification first hand and took my performance modified PZ F4F around the patch as well. Bang up job he did too! He took some snaps and video footage. Perhaps he may share here. I don't think any of the more embarrassing moments made it to film! One sortie wing to wing between a PZ P-47 v my 109. It was a draw after the Luftberry circe and both aces made it back to base guns empty and frustrated! No kills!

Then a quick trip to the local hobby store to daydream and talk of big plans and a great meal with a few of the other club members.

Andy is quite an authority on all era war birds and imparted a lot of great info on many types...............and a veteran spectator of the Duxford Airshow, of which I am extremely jealous!........To any self respecting war bird fanatic you know full well Duxford as Mecca!

Anyhoo, cheers Andy, great to meet you. Consider yourself honorary member of the Daytona Beach Radio Control Association![/
QUOTE]

Well, I am the guilty party in Demsey's little tale above, and I've just got to say:-

"WHAT A GREAT DAY"

A HUGE thankyou to Doug and all the guys and little un's at the DBRCA club in Daytona for giving me a very warm welcome. And those little un's did a swell job with their little PZ micro T28's. It was great to see some "youngsters" in the hobby

They were a super friendly bunch at DBRCA and very hospitable, so again, Hi to you all and thanks again for a really great day.

As Doug said, we started gassing on this site some months ago about a mutual passion... of course the PZ BF 109 and when I got the chance to visit the US on business - I thought I'd check where Doug is to see if a little get together was possible.

100 miles later and there I was. Doug must know a short cut I think with his 80 miles?? Or are US mile different to English ones? Ha ha

They have got a really nice set up down there, and the runway was very impressive!

I couldn't believe it when I was offered some stick time on the 109, and the F4F Days don't get much better than this. The runway was new to me as I have a big old WW1 airfield to fly at back home. I never had to aim for somewhere long and thin to land before, but a LOT smaller than a whole airfield! Even I can't miss that....... and this was a little nerve jangling!!

Luckily I didn't disgrace myself, and enjoyed myself immensely. The 109 looks absolutely gorgeous when the wheels tuck up, so if you have one of these, follow the links here and do the upgrade as it is well worth it. Flew beautifully!

Also with encouragement from Doug, I've already added the flap upgrade which is a huge improvement in slow speed handling. Recommended to all 109 owners, and a real simple mod to do.

I've got the bits for my retracts, read the write ups, the only thing to do now is to start carving into my 109!! Scary, but I'm gonna start when I get home.

Then to top it all, after the retractable 109... (Super!) I was offered a blast in the "hotted" up F4F What a plane!
Flew super straight and fast in a stiffening breeze, stacks of power, amazing vertical, and an uncomplicated, simple leave in the back of the car - everyday flyer. Now that's what we all need I think I gotta get one of these....

How do you sneak big boxes into the house without the Boss knowing eh??

Doug and the boys down there put on a super show with their little Daytona Air Force. The weather held off for some fantastic flying. Some super fast stuff, some super electric warbirds - Hurricanes, P47's, T28's Sabres....... and some very - very - nice people.

Thank you again, especially to Doug for a Day to remember.

Please pass on my very best wishes to you, and all the other DBRCA members I met. I had a really super time, enjoyed the visit to a super RC shop (I was good and didn't spend anything) and the meal was great too, especially the company.

Redzed9 is offline Find More Posts by Redzed9
Last edited by Redzed9; Apr 21, 2012 at 09:29 PM.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 09:01 PM
Joined May 2011
582 Posts
The Evidence

Well, here are some shots we got today:-

1) Doug doing some fettling on the T28.... Flies great

2) T28 on Finals..... landing lights on - flaps down - gear down.... show off or what! Beautiful landing

3) BF 109 comming in, fast and low..... gear up - safety's off...

4) P47 in hot persuit!

5) One very pretty Hurricane, there were two on show that day One seemingly ROCKET powered! Upgraded motor and took off like a scalded cat! Ha ha.... nice.

A great Day!
Last edited by Redzed9; May 11, 2012 at 07:06 PM.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 09:13 PM
Joined May 2011
582 Posts
Sorry the aerial shots aren't crystal clear, but these are the first frames of some video clips I shot.

Anyone know how to post videos??
Old Apr 21, 2012, 09:23 PM
Joined May 2011
582 Posts
Another topic

While on my great day out at Daydota, we discussed all good things aviation wise.

If anyone out there likes ace pictures of planes, (and who doesn't) try this site:-

http://www.airliners.net/

Put the name of your favoured plane in the little search box - click and Enjoy what you find.

Hit the "View Large Photo" button and.......
Old Apr 22, 2012, 07:24 AM
Jacksonville, Fl.
Joined Jan 2010
981 Posts
Hiya Dempsy,
I am from Jacksonville Fl. and know a fellow who has done the same retract mod to his 109. Saw him flying it yesterday at one of the local fields here in Jax. The PZ 109 looks much better with the retracts installed.
By the way, one thing about PW-RC. When Phillip has something that is out of stock he will remove it from his site until it is re-stocked.
Strongbow is offline Find More Posts by Strongbow
Old Apr 22, 2012, 04:45 PM
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Jan 2011
335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongbow View Post
By the way, one thing about PW-RC. When Phillip has something that is out of stock he will remove it from his site until it is re-stocked.
Great to know and thanks! That would make sense, for a time he no longer listed the Starmax Skyraider, but now it's back...........

Jax huh? Do you fly in the bowl? Know a lot of the 3D big bird guys from that field.........or are you a Gateway guy?
Demsey is offline Find More Posts by Demsey
Old Apr 22, 2012, 06:56 PM
Jacksonville, Fl.
Joined Jan 2010
981 Posts
Quote:
Great to know and thanks! That would make sense, for a time he no longer listed the Starmax Skyraider, but now it's back...........

Jax huh? Do you fly in the bowl? Know a lot of the 3D big bird guys from that field.........or are you a Gateway guy?
I usually fly at Ed Austin park. But when I want to fly the big stuff or if there are to many soccer terrorists I will go to Jax RC and fly the bowl.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 07:07 PM
Joined Jan 2011
335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongbow View Post
I usually fly at Ed Austin park. But when I want to fly the big stuff or if there are to many soccer terrorists I will go to Jax RC and fly the bowl.
Awesome! Tell 'Griff', Doug from Daytona said 'Yo'..............

And you nailed the pw-rc thing BTW! After I checked in here, I checked my mail;

Sent: Saturday, April 21, 2012 10:52 AM
To: Philip
Subject: Enquiry from PW-RC

Hello Philip!

Just wondering if you will be offering 'MINI size common servoless retracts' in the future or if they will be discontinued indefinitely?

Hope all is well.............

Douglas

Response;

Hi Douglas,

The mini retract will be continue and it was ordered, now is just waiting for the ordered stock arrived to me.

Thank you very much.

Philip

@ 'ArcticWolf' and 'Kevin Greene'; those servoless retracts will be stocked soon @ $10.50 ea. and good performance can't beat them!! I have them in my J Power P-38 too (after those plastic mechanicals gave me fits!) and over a year of problem free performance.

When Philip restocks, I'm going to personally 'un-stock' his, ermmm, stock!
Old Apr 22, 2012, 09:15 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
3,996 Posts
I have a couple of those retracts held over for another project but robbed them to go into the '109...I cut out the areas for the retracts---NO TURNING BACK NOW!!!...I now need to get the angles right so that the wheels will fit into the wings...

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Apr 23, 2012, 06:59 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
4,673 Posts
Have much enjoyed reading of the 'Great Get Together' this morning....wish I could've been there, sounds like you guys had a blast. Our club had its First Anniversary Fly In Saturday, & all the activity wore me slap out! We just barely ducked the rainstorm that had been forecast all week - it started whilst I was driving home & just into my driveway the bottom fell out. Couldn't ask for better timing than that! Saw some amazing RC flying....and planes to go with the skill, believe that! Heck, I even won a $10 Gift Certificate from Tower! WooHoo! *LOL* (No talent there - just my reg.ticket was one that got drawn for a door prize.)

& Hey Doug;
Could we entice you to contact Phil about the possibility of making a bulk purchase & getting a little better 'Group Price' -- possibly even upgrading his present order? Your projected 'unstocking' plot, & having no idea how many he ordered for stock....sounds like it has the potential of leaving him OOS for an extended time, & who knows how many other disappointed customers. Would be a 'neater package' for all, methinks....He might even be able to get himself a little better deal in the process. If you can pull it off, I'd commit for a couple sets - one for the 109 & another to reserve for another project. I'd even offer to pre-pay, if it'd help.
Anybody else want in?
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 23, 2012, 10:36 AM
Jacksonville, Fl.
Joined Jan 2010
981 Posts
Quote:
Awesome! Tell 'Griff', Doug from Daytona said 'Yo'..............

And you nailed the pw-rc thing BTW! After I checked in here, I checked my mail;

Sent: Saturday, April 21, 2012 10:52 AM
To: Philip
Subject: Enquiry from PW-RC

Hello Philip!

Just wondering if you will be offering 'MINI size common servoless retracts' in the future or if they will be discontinued indefinitely?

Hope all is well.............

Douglas

Response;

Hi Douglas,

The mini retract will be continue and it was ordered, now is just waiting for the ordered stock arrived to me.

Thank you very much.

Philip

@ 'ArcticWolf' and 'Kevin Greene'; those servoless retracts will be stocked soon @ $10.50 ea. and good performance can't beat them!! I have them in my J Power P-38 too (after those plastic mechanicals gave me fits!) and over a year of problem free performance.

When Philip restocks, I'm going to personally 'un-stock' his, ermmm, stock!
I've only just started going to jaxrc. Other than my Dawn Patrol friends, I dont know anyone else by name there yet. Usually fly at the park but my larger warbirds fit better at the club field. Just got an FMS Fw190 and will only fly it at the club field. Right now I am not a club member so I really dont go there unless I know one or more of my friends are there. No key, no fly.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 08:03 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,723 Posts
After 2+ years of regular, reliable and most enjoyable flying
.... I was casually checking over my trusty'ol PZ bf109 this evening:-

I found that all of the control surfaces benefited from just a half-turn tightening of all the self-tap screws securing the control horns though the foam.

Over time, the foam had become slightly compressed, resulting in a fraction of slack.

All nice a tight again now, ready for another 2 years faultless service
.... took all of just 2 minuntes tops, you might consider it too.

Plane Chaos is offline Find More Posts by Plane Chaos
Last edited by Plane Chaos; Apr 24, 2012 at 06:21 AM.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 09:15 PM
Joined May 2011
582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane Chaos View Post
After 2+ years of regular, reliable and most enjoyable flying
.... I was casually checking over my trusty'ol PZ bf109 this evening:-

I found that all of the control surfaces benefited from just a half-turn tightening of all the self-tap screws securing the control horns though the foam.

Over time, the foam had become slightly compressed, resulting in a just fraction of slack.

All nice a tight again now, ready for another 2 years faultless service
.... took all of just 2 minuntes tops, you might consider it too.

Hey Plane Chaos, have you got retracts and flaps fitted to yours?

Good advice though, (thanks) when I get home I'll have to whip out my spanners and set to the ol bird.

Cheers
Old Apr 23, 2012, 09:40 PM
Joined Jan 2011
335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post

& Hey Doug;
Could we entice you to contact Phil about the possibility of making a bulk purchase & getting a little better 'Group Price' -- possibly even upgrading his present order? Your projected 'unstocking' plot, & having no idea how many he ordered for stock....sounds like it has the potential of leaving him OOS for an extended time, & who knows how many other disappointed customers. Would be a 'neater package' for all, methinks....He might even be able to get himself a little better deal in the process. If you can pull it off, I'd commit for a couple sets - one for the 109 & another to reserve for another project. I'd even offer to pre-pay, if it'd help.
Anybody else want in?
Well, only kidding about 'buying out his stock', but, when he does restock I'm going to make a decent order for a good amount of those size retract sets. Because.................

I've been kind of impressed with some of the 'Alpha' models that are in the PZ F4F, P-51, 109 scale category, but, those Alpha kits are all hand launch, belly landers. One thing I've realized with the 109 retract mod is; it's very doable and I wouldn't term the 109 retract project as 'easy'. There were some obstacles like gear geometry and the main spar issue that complicated things. Airframes such as the P-51 and P-47 say, where the retracted and extended gear strut are parallel to the wing spar with perhaps a little forward rake would be a cake walk .

The Alpha models would be a neat conversion as they are indeed manufactured and engineered for belly landings. If retrofitted with retracts they would be VERY versatile; you could go complete scale on an improved surface, or could be enjoyed @ a cite unsuitable for gear ops, or you could do a hybrid; some modellers here fly off of rough grass, they seem to be able to manage a take-off, but suffer greatly on landings. Before we installed the Geotextile fabric runway I operated most of my 70mm jets with retracts that way......................some of those models were too awkward or flat out large for a one man hand launch..............so TO on gear and belly in. No problema.

As far as a group buy, wouldn't hurt to ask, but, Philip already operates on a very small margin for 'parts'. His 'kit' pricing is perhaps higher than some of the other, *ahem*, bait you with a low kit cost and then hit you with high shipping sites, but there, as with all his sales, Philip's after sales service is part of the premium and why I deal with him...............
Last edited by Demsey; Apr 23, 2012 at 09:46 PM.