New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 15, 2015, 08:41 PM
Find More Posts by Bruce Abbott
We want... Information!
Hastings, New Zealand
Joined Jan 2001
5,217 Posts
Originally Posted by djpilot View Post
I would like to work out if I can use this on some Afro 30A ESC's to run brushed motors and am not sure where to start.
Start by tracing out the circuit to find which pins of the ATMeg8 are used and what polarity signals the FETs require. The Afro ESC looks pretty simple so it shouldn't be hard to do.

Next, edit the macro.def file to match the MCU pin functions to the circuit. Assemble the program (using eg. AVR Studio 4.19) to create a hex file, and download it into the ESC through the ISP pins on the PCB (using a programmer such USBASP).

Finally, test the ESC on a current limited power supply. If you are lucky it works. If not then you have some debugging to do.

One problem you may have - the Afro ESC uses all N-Channel FETs, so I'm betting it uses 'bootstrap' circuits to generate the high-side Gate drive. Therefore it probably won't be able to hold the upper FETs on continuously. You can get around this by not allowing the PWM to go to 100% at full throttle (PWM pulses keep the bootstrap caps charged up).
Bruce Abbott is offline Find More Posts by Bruce Abbott
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 31, 2015, 06:44 PM
Find More Posts by rc_ryder
Joined Aug 2013
9 Posts
Car ESC hack

Hi guys,

I was browsing the web searching for a reasonable priced BRUSHED crawler ESC with programming capabilities like BRUSHLESS ESC.

At the moment the entry level BRUSHED Quicrun1060 at 25$ is by far inferior compared to Hobbyking X-Car 60 for same cash...

If we go to 120A range, brushed esc start at 100$, brushless esc from hk goes to 35$

Would it be possible to hack one of those?

It would be a great thing fot fast growing crawler sceen...

rc_ryder is offline Find More Posts by rc_ryder
Last edited by rc_ryder; Nov 02, 2015 at 07:08 PM.
Old Nov 01, 2015, 07:44 AM
Find More Posts by nifty1a
Joined Jun 2014
1 Posts
ZTW Spider Series 20A OPTO

Has anyone successfully reflashed these ESCs to use as a brushed ESC?

I'm looking for a 6S capable brushed ESC, and I thought these look like a possibility, but I can't find any mention of anyone having reflashed them into brushed ESCs.

If these can't/don't work, does anyone have any recommendations of an ESC to use?

nifty1a is offline Find More Posts by nifty1a
Old Nov 24, 2015, 05:44 AM
Find More Posts by gzus11
Joined Aug 2015
2 Posts
I've been following this for some time, I can handle flashing the ESC, but I think modifying and generating hex files may be a little being my ability.

I was really hoping to find something built on the afro net range (30amp). Since Simonk's attempt has anyone converted an all nfet succcessfully?

I've built a rough prototype segway with wheelchair motors and cheap brushed ESC, but i find the motors a little slow to balance, and would make use of my spare escs.
gzus11 is offline Find More Posts by gzus11